Herb McCandless gave me a personal diagnosis on Goldie

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Herb was staying at the same motel I was staying at and I saw him every morning and evening. Super nice guy and family. He and his family brought 4 beautiful 300s. Trailered the 2 rare cars and drove one that he put a modern Hemi and A/C in a 300G, he said he gets 26mph on the freeway.

He saw I trailered Goldie and asked why I didn't just drive it here. I told him I had a miss that I could nail down and I had already installed 2 new sets of ignition wires. He said from what it sounds like I probably have a burnt valve and proceeded to tell me exactly what I should do down to the heads and where to buy them.

I love this car community.

Here is Herb's 300G

27754989534_ec57dcfc25_o.jpg
28088901890_13dcf9e0b2_o.jpg

Last edited:
Agree, I've spoken to Herb a number of times over the last 35 years or so, he's always a pleasure to see/speak to. A fine gentleman IMHO.

The best part this occurred right when I was getting ready to head home, so this was my last memory of an already great weekend.

Too make you feel better Scott he recommend a cast 452 head. No modern aluminum head

I follow HMc JR on FB. Lots of trolls dissing the modern Hemi mods in the 300. He shuts them down really well. HMc SR is a frickin legend so don't know where these asshats get off but then again it's FB and everyone is hiding behind their keyboard throwing rocks

I think I'm running 906's. The point I was eluding too was a motor rebuild when it was out.

Yes, I know, I just wanted to remove the engine for practice, so I do it perfectly the next time.
:lol:

Herb and his son came over to talk to us about my car on Saturday. Super nice guys.

He told us his cars were in the stage area this year because of the amount of C bodies expected to show! They are usually at the end of the row towards the grandstand.

Back