Horn contact

ALLAN

Reaction score
Is it possible to replace the horn contact on an aftermarket column switch assy? Fed up with the plunger scraping and jamming, thinking along the lines of a carbon plunger, powdrill brush block thing.

What year make and model of car ? Any pictures of the power drill brush block thing? Any pictures of the steering wheel? Any info you can give us is going to help.

I suspect, on the surface of things, that the "horn contact" can be changed, BUT there are at least TWO places a "horn contact" can be. One is on the steering wheel that makes contact when you push on a designated area. Another can be the spring-loaded bronze contact in the turn signal switch that contacts with the moveable contact (cam) that the steering wheel horn swithch touches (i.e. the interface part). This is presuming that the aftermarket column you have is configured similar to a GM column (for better parts availability).

The steering wheel-located contacts (and cam interface) would usually be all separate and potentially replaceable items. The turn signal switch-located item would usually be considered a part of the turn signal switch assy, which would not be serviceable separately without a good deal of effort.

Another issue might be "Why" this problem might be existing? From what I know about those things, it seems like there might be some mis-match of the steering wheel and the column innards?

As always, some pictures and background information might be helpful.

Thanks,
CBODY67

Hi,its a 1970 Polara, this is the original item,removed due to a short on the indicator side.
Item is the spring loaded wheeled plunger, on the replacement (Standard TR7)it's a spring loaded brass plunger that scrapes on the ring, just wondering if anyone has done anything?
20210228_135559.jpg

The brass plunger that contacts the back of the ring, rather than the spring-loaded wheel pictured, is how every GM turn signal switch has been for ages. Should be no problems in that respect. On my '70 DH43, when the rim blow switch would short out and turn on the horn, the spring under the plunger would get weak and then "no more horn'. Future plans are no more rim blow steering wheel!

From my experiences,
CBODY67

Back