hot start problems on 65 imp

1340busa

Reaction score
hey guys! great forum. i have a fully restored 65 imp lebaron. this car runs awesome and starts well when cold. after i run the car for awhile and the engine gets warm it acts like the starter is dragging bad. i have replaced the starter and the same thing happens. im sure the starter isnt getting too hot. i can let it sit for an hour and it turns over fine. im thinking the relay maybe going bad. any ideas?

Welcome.
You need a new heavy duty top of the line battery. In my last three C-bodies with 440s, it did the trick. Heat soaked BBs need lots of cranking power.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Pics are a must.

ive tried two batteries, one of them out of my bb 74 roadrunner. i havent checked the timing but i will. i bought this car from an estate and it is beautiful. it looks as good on the bottom as the top. everything works including the air. i dont really know how to post pics, can someone give me an idea?

ive tried two batteries, one of them out of my bb 74 roadrunner. i havent checked the timing but i will. i bought this car from an estate and it is beautiful. it looks as good on the bottom as the top. everything works including the air. i dont really know how to post pics, can someone give me an idea?
If you go down just below the quick reply box you'll see an option to "Go Advanced" from there you can attach pics.

what does the timing set on?

imperial.jpg

1340busa, My 71 dodge 440 acted similiarly after having been pushed a bit on a very hilly road on a hot day. After shutdown, the temperature gauge jumped up to "way hot" which is normal under the conditions it had just been driven under. I tried to restart the engine after about 20 minutes and it would barely turn over, as though the battery was almost dead or the starter was dragging badly. The starter was a NEWLY rebuilt one and I KNOW that the battery was at full charge. I waited about 10 minutes and tried the starter again, which spun the engine just enough to get it running. I got on the internet right away after I got home and entered "what causes a car's starter to fail if it gets too hot". That put me on a full webpage and I ended up clicking on some that explained exactly what "heat soak" was all about and how to prevent it.
The exhaust pipe in my case is very close to the starter and it's solenoid, so I tossed the new rebuilt starter, installed a
mini starter from Summit and insulated the offending exhaust pipe section. Wa La! never another hot start problem. My
research also explained why a newly "rebuilt" starter may be extra susceptible to heat soak. I know there are other causes for hot start problems but I believe that you pretty much narrowed it down to heat soak when you said that "it was as though the starter was dragging" but after a few minutes it acted more normal. Of course I might be wrong but "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it sure could be a duck" (or something pretty close) I hope this information is helpful.

I have basically the same issue with a really stout battery and insulated mini starter. It cranks fine but takes a bit to fire. Went over everything twice and came to the conclusion the real problem is the **** gas being produced these days. Today's fuel is blended for closed systems using injectors and electric fuel pumps. To prove my suspicions, I bought and added octane booster and the issue disappeared. The newer fuels seem to evaporate quicker leaving fuel bowls mostly empty and it takes time for mechanical fuel pumps to replenish the fuel bowls hence a lot of cranking.I know 383's suffer from "hot soak" issues even in a massive engine bay but the cars of yesterday never seemed to have this problem, but then again, fuel of yesterday was heavily laced with lead. Bring back leaded fuel - it's not like people are drinking it. Methonal is something that should only be used in camping lanterns.

I have basically the same issue with a really stout battery and insulated mini starter. It cranks fine but takes a bit to fire. Went over everything twice and came to the conclusion the real problem is the **** gas being produced these days. Today's fuel is blended for closed systems using injectors and electric fuel pumps. To prove my suspicions, I bought and added octane booster and the issue disappeared. The newer fuels seem to evaporate quicker leaving fuel bowls mostly empty and it takes time for mechanical fuel pumps to replenish the fuel bowls hence a lot of cranking.I know 383's suffer from "hot soak" issues even in a massive engine bay but the cars of yesterday never seemed to have this problem, but then again, fuel of yesterday was heavily laced with lead. Bring back leaded fuel - it's not like people are drinking it. Methonal is something that should only be used in camping lanterns.
touche , i couldnt agree more.

yeah new gas sucks. i had to add a electric pump to my roadrunner. im going to add a small booster pump to the imp. it takes a long time to fill the carb.

Back