Hot Wire to Coil

Patrick

Reaction score
Engine won't start, fuel is present, timing is good, so I suspect spark. Testing my spark with a spare plug to the block shows it's pretty weak. My power wire to the + coil terminal is old and cracked, badly. I haven't tested voltage but a test light to to the + side is very weak and flickery. I know that wire is activated by the ignition switch so is it safe to test by disconnecting it and running a hot lead straight from the battery?

what car is it? It should be running through a ballast resistor before it goes to the coil or it will kill the points or module.

Funny I am having the same issue right now with the Mallory unilite distributor. I started the car and drove it on to the trailer to take to the interior shop. When I got there it wouldn't start to drive it off the trailer. No spark. I suspect the ignition module so went to order another one, 6 weeks delivery from amazon and can't find another source any better.

There is a test you can do by pulling off the cap and rotor and placing a credit card between the optics then check the voltage drop. Going to try that today.

Back