How do I get old hardened tree sap off convertible top? 66 Polara

Jim 68cuda

Reaction score
Just bought a 66 Polara convertible. Spent hours today getting rock hard tree sap off the hood and trunk. Paint isn't great, so I used lacquer thinner on the body. But the convertible top and plastic rear window are relatively new. What is a safe method for removing old hardened tree sap from the top material and plastic rear window?

1700261816348.png
1700261789051.png

1700261880166.png

Last edited:
I'd try white vinegar or isopropyl alcohol.

Try a small spot first. The vinegar is probably the best bet.

I've also seen where the sap is frozen and pops off, so maybe some try some freeze spray of even just an ice cube.

I was thinking along the lines of freezing too, though I'm not sure what the freeze spray product big_john refers to is. I'd try butane if you have a can lying around, with a fingernail or a coarsely sharpened popsicle stick.

I'm not sure what the freeze spray product
Sometimes that can of air you can buy to dust off things like keyboards works. Just hold the can upside down so the liquid comes out when you spray it.

I think they also sell freeze spray in the chocolate/baking section of hobby stores like Michael’s of Joann’s

I figured everyone knew what freeze spray is. I guess not.

It's used to diagnose electrical faults. Spray it on a suspect part to see if it is affected by temperature.

Here's some. Amazon product ASIN B00012WIMK
You can also use a can of "dust off", the spray you use to clean your keyboard. The trick is to turn it upside down to dispense refrigerant.

All that said, most likely holding and ice cube against the sap will probably work.

Another thought, whichever method of freezing you choose, after doing so, try gently pressing the material out from the inside with your thumb. You might get lucky and pop the majority off.

Hand sanitizer is an excellent alternative to rubbing alcohol to soak and remove tree sap. Soak a cotton ball with hand sanitizer and leave the cotton ball on the sap for at least 30 seconds. Repeat the soaking and scrubbing process until the pine sap disintegrates.

Okay, tried the hand sanitizer, the white vinegar and the WD-40. Used a damp soaked cloth for a minute or so with each. Of the three, the vinegar seemed to work the best. Got most of the sap off the plastic rear window, but not all. On the top material, I only tried it on a couple of the many areas. It took the heaviest stuff off, but a stain remained as the sap had seeped into every crevice of the material. Next weekend a buddy is bringing by his steam cleaner. We'll see if that works.

You can use plastic "razor blades" to scrape the sap without cutting into the top, you just need to be careful; and use in conjunction with you remover of choice. I was watching one of the detailing guys on YT (WD Detailing, I believe) use that method and it looked great!

Eveyone is going to offer witches brew solutions.
There are none.
All you can do is replace the window and dye the top

Steam cleaner and a vacuum. Heat with steam and then hit with vacuum to pull away, repeat if it works.

Back