how do i install my hood?

BeatersRus

Reaction score
sounds pretty funny i know,but,when i bought this car it had no hood.
the problem is,
the hinges only stay up a couple of inches and the hood isnt even bolted on yet...
now,when i bought a hood for it,i looked at the car it came off of,
and i swear it looks? like i have it right but?

does anyone have a how-to for installing the rods?
or a vid link?
maybe these og rods are worn out?

This is the best I have for pics of the car with no hood.

motor 029.jpg

motor 031.jpg

The centre support

011.JPG

can you take pics of the Ends on the back corners so i can figure out how it all belongs?

lol! and TY so much as well.
ive been searching pics for awhile now w no luck.

see how those end hinges are standing straight up on your car?
mine are nowheres near that.
and i have 2 springs big ones and no idea where they hook up.
woe is me....lol

Last edited:
does anyone have a clear view or idea of where these bloody springs go?
are there even any springs on those hoods ??
Ok, I think I can confidently say there are no springs on C Body hood hinges before 69. The hinges work on the torsion rods alone.... I believe what you have is one of them "extra parts".

The hinges work on the torsion rods alone.... I believe what you have is one of them "extra parts".

lol omg man..:BangHead:
im telling you,ive held these frakking springs up,down,sideways and i just couldnt figure out where in the hell they would sit!
the brackets have holes but nothing was lining up.

so theres No springs on you guys hoods then??!!
awesome lol,well thats what i needed to know.
also explains why i couldnt see springs even tho i was using my xray vision on yalls pics

i guess then my og rods must be just plain worn out then,cause they have no tension hardly,
and tried swapping sides and that didnt work either.
thanks guys :thumbsup:

lol omg man..:BangHead:
im telling you,ive held these frakking springs up,down,sideways and i just couldnt figure out where in the hell they would sit!
the brackets have holes but nothing was lining up.

so theres No springs on you guys hoods then??!!
awesome lol,well thats what i needed to know.
also explains why i couldnt see springs even tho i was using my xray vision on yalls pics

i guess then my og rods must be just plain worn out then,cause they have no tension hardly,
and tried swapping sides and that didnt work either.
thanks guys :thumbsup:
Yup, that'll mess you up. It's funny, even though I was brought up working on Chebbies, after I spent a few years on slabbies, I was almost confused when I saw a C Body with spring hinges!

I guess I can see the rods wearing out ... though as I said, I've never attempted removing or installing them... most I've had is the hood off the hinges.

If they are shot, shouldn't be too much problem finding replacements.

Good luck, man!

yeah i can take the ones off that 68 at the yard im thinking.
i was gonna go out there this weekend if i couldnt figure out this hood thing,but it looks like ill be going anyways lol!

and i had never even bothered taking notice of the differences between early c bodies and later ones as far as hood setups,but i know now!

when i bought the car,i actually got 2 sport furys worth of parts and had to sort everything out so the buyer of the other fury could have all his parts.
it was a serious pita,esp if youve never done a furyious puzzle before.
all i had was 2 hinges,2 rods,and 2 springs.
i dont see any retainers on the hinges to keep them On the car itself, i suspect somethings missing there as well.

stay tuned for a hood on a car,lmao,sometime,sooner or later.

yeah i can take the ones off that 68 at the yard im thinking.
i was gonna go out there this weekend if i couldnt figure out this hood thing,but it looks like ill be going anyways lol!

and i had never even bothered taking notice of the differences between early c bodies and later ones as far as hood setups,but i know now!

stay tuned for a hood on a car,lmao,sometime,sooner or later.
Git'r done, BRO!

I dunno bro,, I feel like you maybe don't have your bars loaded up right and that's why they are sloppy.

ive never removed the hood yet so I have no idea on how to advise you.

only this:
try not to die -

- saylor

I dunno bro,, I feel like you maybe don't have your bars loaded up right and that's why they are sloppy.

ive never removed the hood yet so I have no idea on how to advise you.

only this:
try not to die -

- saylor
That was my thought too.. I would think there'd be a process for pre loading the bars as I cant see a way that they'd be totally slacked once the hood was fully open ...

Those 2 bars are the springs. My guess is that they aren't installed correctly, I've never seen a worn out set.

well,you will soon.
turns out my left side hinge bar is bent.
the left side torsion bar is bent slightly as well,has a crimp at the rider edge,and sits lower than the d side.
theres no retaining clips on either side,so the hinge bar just flys off if you attach the torsion rod.
i suspect the original hood met a bad ending.

ill have to get all new/used set off a parts car,include the clips parts number and as i have to buy a box of a 100,for 2 clips for the car,
ill be giving those away for quite awhile.

so at least i got it figured out,
and soon have a step by step ill post for the next poor guy who runs into this.
much easier than the ways those other guys did it on that thread.
i can also tell you this is not a job for the fainthearted,
getting the hood exactly right and everything right is a major pita :wtf:
id love to run into the guy who designed that setup...

also,ty to big John for that fsm.
Much appreciated.:thumbsup:

Back