How do these clips work to hang the rocker moldings on my 70?

furious70

Reaction score
I took the moldings off in 1999 to paint and one was creased so never put back on. I've got some better ones now but lost my clips. Bought some from someone else on here. But how do these little clips attach to the molding?

PXL_20230701_185239770.jpg

PXL_20230701_185229542.jpg

You need to screw the molding clips to the side of the rocker panel but not too tight. Then you need to gently tap the molding so that the curved top part of the molding slides in over the top of the plastic clips. Then screw the bottom of the rocker molding to the rocker panel. Good luck.

I believe they were originally mounted on these little T shaped pins that were welded to the body. If they are gone, there's a small screw that is shaped like the pin that is available. They look like this:

s-l1600.jpg

As long as you use something with a head that doesn't stick up, it will be OK.

Big John is right, there should be mushroom type t-shaped welded pins on your rocker panel. You press the clip over the head and slide it sideways to lock it in tight. Your missing some tension keepers on the clips in your picture. Then you take your molding and hold it about 45 degree angle and lock the top in over the edge of clip. Then swing it down and secure with screws along lower bottom edge.

I have the mounting lugs on the car still.
So I attach the clips to the car then molding down over top.
But I'm missing a piece still?

Slot down, flange out.
Hook trim on the top, hold down and pop the bottom over the clip (clips go on the car first)

Alan

You insert the moulding on the top of the clips.
And then there is a row of 4/5 small screws, directly on the bottom edge of the rocker panel.
There is also one screw which goes in the front of the moulding, directly in the fender.

Got it. What do the proper screws for the bottom look like? Those are long gone.

Ahh, that explains the clip design.

Alan
Yea, it hangs on the clip and fastens down under.

The front and rear sections of my '70 300 rocker trim are like that. The center section just uses the clips.

Looks like the painter mudded up the bottom holes when he painted for some reason. And the back hole on the driver's side but not the passenger side. Who knows why

PXL_20230703_221929271.jpg

Anyone know if the bottom holes are as big as the hole in the fender? It's surprisingly big for a trim screw.
Leads to the next question, what size screw, #6, 8? Since I have to punch through mud to find them the more I know the better

Went to Ace and home Depot and neither had the right screw. Ordered some on Amazon

Back