Resto work on bucket seats

66furys

Reaction score
I am not trying to restore....I took five years on an MGA frame off. My 66 fury is RoadKill, and I want to drive it. But, as an example of just how much is involved in a resto, my bucket seat is one. I pulled the seats for floor pan work and carpets. Sent just one seat base off for cushion and cover.....and just that one seat base cost 150 for foam, hard to find, and 275 to recover. And that was just the beginning. First was broken studs that had rusted badly, and had to be drilled and replaced. The frame was rusted and took quite a bit to clean and paint. Then comes the seat adjustment bolts under the back that adjust back angle.....and the landing pieces that had to be cut to fit as the seat comes back down in place. The bolts for the seat back were horrible on threads and took work to clean and lube. The aluminum trim on seat base was paint splattered, dirty and bent some. The screws that hold the trim were wrong. I think it took about 20 trips for tools, cleaners and paint to get close. I had to find a shop to put together some dye for the back of the seat I covered. And this is for RoadKill. I think if I had it to do again.......

Back