How I Spent My Summer Vacation

Boomer

Reaction score
All five days of it!

The good wife released me briefly for good behavior to travel north. Visited friends and family and caught up on a few things.

The vacation was primarily automotive but not Chrysler-related (still waiting on the 300 - discovered that 'Date Requested' and 'Date Shipped' apparently can vary a lot). Worked on an old 1955 International truck stored at a friend's place and also got the new radiator installed in my dad's 1950 Lincoln. It was last registered in 2006 and aside from moving around for storage, hasn't been run since. Been sitting in his barn for several years now with the new radiator collecting dust bunnies in their hallway. Couldn't resist the 'barn find' photos.

Got back Thursday, been playing catch up since. Did manage to sell the two 1950s Ford pickups this past weekend, so along with more space I might have a few $$ available to put into the 300 once it arrives. The 300 will eventually replace my '02 Ford Ranger, but I still need a truck. Just needed something a little bigger than a Ranger.

Truck could probably use some paint, too.

Lincoln3.jpg

Lincoln1.jpg

Lincoln4.jpg

R-140 Summer2.jpg

R-140 Summer7.jpg

R-140 Summer6.jpg

You know how to enjoy yourself! That Lincoln is very rare, as I almost never see one. I thought its design was very unique and interesting. Hope he gets it running sometime soon. Thanks for sharing.

They call that a Baby Lincoln, actually. But there's nothing small about it. It's really just a '50 Mercury with a different front clip, tail lights, a slightly larger gas tank and so on. A lot of them have been chopped up by the hot rod hacks over the decades, back when they were plentiful and not terribly desirable.

As to the old Dodge Power Wagons, I actually wanted one of those pretty badly before going with the R-140. Problem is, like the Land Rover I had years ago, they became fashionable to the yuppies or whomever, and prices for a decent example got foolish. The R-140 won't win any beauty contests or break any speed records, but with only 995 of them made over 3 years, you don't see one on every corner either. And they've yet to become a fashion statement.

It's also half again bigger than the Power Wagon. The bed is 9 ft long and the cab is around 8 ft at the roof line. My wife hasn't seen the truck yet so I had my buddy take a shot of me standing next to it. I'm 6'2" and can barely peek over the lower window edge.

Would still love to find an old Power Wagon stashed in a warehouse or garage somewhere waiting to be revived. Has to be one of the coolest old trucks ever made.

Talked w/Jeff out in WA again yesterday. My 300 still isn't on a truck.

R-140 Summer1.jpg

Back