How much to offer the "flipper"

Pete Kaczmarski

Reaction score
Ten days ago this car was listed in Madison WI. craigs for $1600 and it was sold six hours later. I was unable to call on it before it was sold. Now this new owner guy has it listed for $5250 and now lowered by $500. My late Fathers first car was a 1941 Plymouth which is close in style. Again, I don't mind a reasonable profit for him but when do I call him and see if he is telling a true story on the cars history. Even if he doubles his money is it worth it?

1946 Plymouth Deluxe business Coupe

10 days ago when he bought it, he didn't know this?? He must have aged quickly.
I bought the car to play with and have fun, but due to health and old age, I want to let someone else have fun.

That being said, I like that car, but have no thoughts on what the offer should be.

What nincompoop offered that at only $1,600 in the first place

00Y0Y_f7wLhT1YKLv_600x450.jpg

1946 Plymouth Deluxe business Coupe - $4750 (Appleton Wi)
image 3 of 3
00I0I_hYnFuZIqsWE_600x450.jpg

00G0G_qzr5VWTtjq_600x450.jpg

00Y0Y_f7wLhT1YKLv_600x450.jpg

1946 plymouth

condition: good
cylinders: 6 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
paint color: black
size: mid-size
title status: clean
transmission: manual
type: coupe

1946 Plymouth Special Deluxe Business Coupe. This car was stored in a heated garage for the last ten years and not driven. Was running great with new tires when parked. I bought the car to play with and have fun, but due to health and old age, I want to let someone else have fun. The person I bought it from owned it for 40 years. It is a very solid old car. It does have some dings and bruises, badges of honor, giving it character. Very cool just as is for a 70 year old car. If you are expecting everything to be perfect, then you did not read this add. It is,not a,brand new car. It is,70 years old. All that I was going to do with it is check everything over to make sure it's road worthy and that is all. Just leave it as,is. My price is $4,750. Make sure you talked to you're wife first, and that you have the money. Call 920,830,4994. Thanks

From what I've seen of those cars, the price he's listed isn't bad. I'd call him out on flipping the car though.... Maybe not at first... But go look at the car with cash in your pocket. Maybe $3200 in your wallet and leave any more money in your car. Tell him this is what you have and can give it to him "right now".... You might have to play some games with the guy, but if he sees a quick buck... He'll bite.

BTW, a good forum for tech stuff is Forum for P15-D24.com & Pilot-house.com . I don't care to go on there myself anymore, but there's good info.

If you wanted it that bad the price is probably reasonable. Let's face it, if someone else bought it you wouldn't have your second chance. ..Consider it a holding or finders fee...

I agree ... the original seller should have been asking something more like the current price probably

Probably someone selling off deceased or nursing home relatives stuff that doesn't have a clue

A friend was telling me yesterday about seeing a 64 Fury vert that he had tried to buy. Real nice car ... probably a $15K car at minimum. The guy that owned it wasn't interested in selling that or his garage full of cars.

Six months later he died. His wife sold the Fury vert for $3500... and all the rest of his cars went for bargain basement prices too.

10 days ago when he bought it, he didn't know this?? He must have aged quickly.

The guy is already a bullshitter.
I'd holdout for a '41, but it will probably cost you quite a bit more.

don't bother getting somebody to value the stuff ... just take dumbass relative or neighbors opinion as gospel or worse someone that want's them

Pete, I sure hope you got that one... the ad is gone already. In the future, never post something you really want here... the lurkers will scramble to get it faster than we will reply.

I'd like to know what it went for. Car looked very original. I would have thought it to be a ten thousand dollar car

That is a most desirable Body style on one of the otherwise boring modelyears, I hope you got it already, I'd hate to see this car restored into some sort of Hot Rod once more.

I know a guy locally that will sell an all original 1938 Plymouth business coupe. As I recall, it has about 60K miles on it. He bought it from the original owner who kept it garaged its whole existance. I loved that car when I looked at it, and it is a lot more interesting looking than this 1946 and in comparable condition. The front grille on the 1938 is neat looking and the rear deck looks even longer than this one. It had the original trunk mat in decent condition and all the tools that came with the car too. A real time capsule. He wants $15K for it. While I really liked the car, I have way too many cars already. And I bought a 1961 New Yorker two door hardtop from him as it was. I never learn!!

Back