How to fully drain antifreeze

The word "permanant", in this situation, refers to the fact that Ma Mopar was filling our cooling systems with glycol based coolant. In years prior, antifreeze was alcohol based. The alcohol would boil out and leave the system unprotected. Glycol does not boil out and is therefore "permanant". As previously noted the rust inhibitors and water pump lubricants are not permanant. I remember "years ago", before I had a driver's licence, alcohol based antifreeze was still available in auto parts outlets. Lindsay
maybe up there not in the states or not in missouri

The word "permanant", in this situation, refers to the fact that Ma Mopar was filling our cooling systems with glycol based coolant. In years prior, antifreeze was alcohol based. The alcohol would boil out and leave the system unprotected. Glycol does not boil out and is therefore "permanant". As previously noted the rust inhibitors and water pump lubricants are not permanant. I remember "years ago", before I had a driver's licence, alcohol based antifreeze was still available in auto parts outlets. Lindsay

" permanent" type antifreeze came out in the late '50's and replaced the alcohol-based antifreezes. the main reason was the car manufacturers wanted a hotter coolant (180-195 degree) requiring a hotter opening thermostat. cars that run alcohol based anti-freezes must use a thermostat that opens at a maximum of 160 degrees. the term "permanent" was removed from ethylene-glycol based coolants for 3 reasons: lack of supply of the glycol due to the Shell plant burning to the ground in 83-4, the Iraian plant being embargoed, and the coolant ethylene glycol mixture being reformulated so that the coolant still did the required job with LESS chemical used to do the job required.

Back