Cooling system capacity

66furys

Reaction score
I have been flushing and filling my mud filled system for almost a year. Normallly I get out about two plus gallons. Recently I pulled one block drain plug and got out two quarts. I did not pull the passenger side since the drive side was clean. But, in refill, I went to the manual that says 17 quarts for non AC 66 fury with big block. I see one user here says 9 quarts...not clear on application. But, I just filled after draining one side of the block and it only took 2.5 gal of coolant. I thought that after the block drain would have been bit more. I have no idea about the heater core....prob half full?? The new radiator is the Summit OEM copper, large and three tube. So, I only got one gallon of glycol in and will measure the coolant later. But, curious what others have found on volume at refill. Thanks.

On our '66 Newport and other factory a/c Chryslers and Dodges we have, when doing the annual coolant change, flushing the system and then letting the radiator drain, I usually could get 2 gallons in the radiator, then water with the rest. Which resulted in the -20degrees F spec. I later dicovered that I could get 9 qt in it to get the spec down to -34degrees F protection. With the factory a/c system, that 9 qts was right at 1/2 of the total system capacity. Heater cores usually hold about 1 qt of coolant.

The service manual, and possibly the owner's manual, has the total capacity specs for your system. All of our cars were 26" radiators.

On my '67 Newport, after I originally got it, I was doing a full flush of the system. I decided to flush the heater core by itself. I did it in the normal flow direction and things came out pretty clean quickly. Then I decided to do a "reverse flush" of irt, which I should have not done. Apparently some accumulation did not like that and proceeded to plug the whole thing up. No water flow either way, then. FWIW

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back