How to prepare for Winter sitting?

Jon O.

Reaction score
I'm still new to cars, what should I do to prepare for winter storage? Im going to cover the car, but what else should I do to make sure that it will start when spring comes?

Full tank of gas, some people swear by products like Sta-bil but I usually don’t worry about it however I do use an additive in my fuel at every fill-up so I put my faith in that. make sure that the antifreeze is up to the task if not in a climate controlled environment. I disconnect my batteries and as spring approaches I’ll put them on a battery tender. If you think you should worry about rodents in your area there are steps you can take to detour them.

Full tank of gas, some people swear by products like Sta-bil but I usually don’t worry about it however I do use an additive in my fuel at every fill-up so I put my faith in that. make sure that the antifreeze is up to the task if not in a climate controlled environment. I disconnect my batteries and as spring approaches I’ll put them on a battery tender. If you think you should worry about rodents in your area there are steps you can take to detour them.
I did put a full tank, my dad told me that one. How do I know if the antifreeze is good.

I did put a full tank, my dad told me that one. How do I know if the antifreeze is good.
These are no more than $5.00 at any Auto store...

download.jpg

I'm still new to cars, what should I do to prepare for winter storage? Im going to cover the car, but what else should I do to make sure that it will start when spring comes?
1- Stuff socks in the tailpipes and breather intake (red or yellow best colors)
2-Remove and store the battery in the basement.
3-Change the oil to prevent sludge forming in the pan from sitting in the cold
4-Check glycol value to -25 minimum
5-Raise the car on blocks under the frame to relieve pressure on ball joints causing grease to squeeze from the top socket and this also prevents tire flat-spotting. Let the suspension hang.
6-Loosen tension all all drive belts (they do have "memory) to relieve horizontal pressure on accessory bearings
7-If you're picky, place an air freshener, dessicant or whatever in the car before closing up
8-Make a list of what you've done and place it on the windshield under the cover.

Depending on how much you value your car, the climate, how long of storage and where there may be other precautions you can take.

5-Raise the car on blocks under the frame to relieve pressure on ball joints causing grease to squeeze from the top socket and this also prevents tire flat-spotting. Let the suspension hang.
6-Loosen tension all all drive belts (they do have "memory) to relieve horizontal pressure on accessory bearings
7-If you're picky, place an air freshener, dessicant or whatever in the car before closing up
8-Make a list of what you've done and place it on the windshield under the cover.

Depending on how much you value your car, the climate, how long of storage and where there may be other precautions you can take.
How many months does your winter last for?

Good advice, thank you.

I don’t think radial tires get flat spots just make sure they’re inflated properly, it’s only 4 or 5 months for crying out loud!

I use a product called Fresh Cab, one in the trunk and a few in the interior.

I wash the car, drive it in the garage, disconnect the battery, toss a bunch of dryer sheets around in it and throw a cover on it. That's it. Been doing it like that for many years.

I never start the car periodically over the winter. If it does need to be started, such as I need the spot in the garage to fix a DD, it gets run until it's warmed up completely.

Why do you need to fill the gas tank completely? Asking because I don't know, not to argue.

If the garage goes through heat/cool cycles it can cause condensation in the tank, less metal exposed with a full tank. Of course if the temp is fairly stable, not a huge deal.

I agree with the above advise. I was always told to overinflate bias ply tires to prevent flat spots, then deflate them to the correct pressure in the spring. I never had problems with radials.

I wash the car, drive it in the garage, disconnect the battery, toss a bunch of dryer sheets around in it and throw a cover on it. That's it. Been doing it like that for many years.

I never start the car periodically over the winter. If it does need to be started, such as I need the spot in the garage to fix a DD, it gets run until it's warmed up completely.
simple enough, thanks. My Dad made it seem like much more than it really is.

Actually it is recommended to Jack the car up just enough to take the stress of the balljoints.Rule of thumb raise the car enough but not enough to clear the tires of the floor. Let the jackstands take some of the load. Minamul stress on the balljoints like wise for the wheel bearings. Hurry up spring..happy Mopar Motoring folks.

One ride down a bumpy road in the spring is way more stress than sitting still for 4-5 months. Can you post the manufacturer's name of these crappy ball joints so we can avoid them. Throw some desicant and dryer sheets in the interior carpet on clear plastic, disconnect the battery and full tank, done. Stay warm and count the days till spring.

Back