How to secure the cover on the Bergman steering coupler??

Oz Sport Fury

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've pretty much upgraded the whole steering on the 72 Newport with Bergman box and adaptor, along with new rag joint updated model...the only part I'm struggling with is how does the rubber cover and metal clamp secure to the slip joint coupler Bergman provides??

On the old original coupler there were well defined tabs to lock the metal cover onto but the new one doesn't have anywhere near the metal to grip against!

Has anyone found a way round this?
PXL_20230927_035105902.jpg
PXL_20230927_035112538.jpg
PXL_20230927_035122255.jpg

Original model has much better tabs to lock against.

I have used the Spring clamp on a few cars, works well. I usually stock up while at Carlisle, but did not find vendors with any.

They work well. The OEM covers are a pain tou have to peen the tabs in a cross wise rotation if that makes sense. Way easier if it is out.

Even installing the sheet metal cover correctly has them popping off half the time. Install the Mopar engineered fix is the way to go. I installed them in my cars, and no more issues.

1695955327538.png

I also installed a grease nipple in my coupler housing, just so I could refresh things if required - undo the bale, release the cover, squeeze in some new grease, clean up, reinstall cover and bale.

Don't be mislead by the term RARE on that eBay ad - they're all over eBay, as the part is in reproduction if I'm correct.

Back