Hurricane Ian

I have never seen a 12 year old boy 20 ft behind a SUPERBIRD and stand t twice as tall as the car and wing? Plymouth lettering is still flat and straight all though the panel is damaged right on it and top and bottom.
Looks small and placed in a pic.
Here's a lookee loo drive by video of the residence. I really have absolutely no sympathy for these people. I can remember riding my motorcycle down on the road by all the snobby expensive houses when Siesta Key was getting washed away by just the regular waves in 1977/78. The water was just about to undermine the asphalt road with just several palm trees keeping it from doing that. Longboat Key was built (at the time) smarter. I never really cared for Siesta Key, I only went to the public beach a couple of times as the girlfriend liked the sand there, I went in the water just once up to my ankles and I couldn't see my feet due to the pollution, lot of pollution in the Gulf left over from the 60's but I suspect this was local run off as it looked like washing machine soapy water. They say it's cleaned up much since then but with all this red tide over there I doubt it. Lido Beach in Sarasota wasn't much better, we went all the way up to Hernando County to swim in the clean water of the test pits.

10-06-22.HURRICANE IAN DEVASTATES SW FLORIDA HOUSING MARKET (1 OF 3).(SUPERBIRD).jpg

This is Bonita Beach, the guy videoing this looks familiar (or is it just the Hipster look?) and is boohooing about the value of Florida real estate as that is his line of work. Look at the absent of sea walls compared to a older Daytona Beach.

10-06-22.HURRICANE IAN DEVASTATES SW FLORIDA HOUSING MARKET (1 OF 3).(BONITA BEACH).jpg

Sea wall in Daytona Beach that survived.

310218793_10222678208687198_4635715457894201399_n.jpg

Some down by the new condo towers that didn't.

309154683_10222678205127109_1575655491727156961_n.jpg

Oh lord are we going to hear about this in the coming years, as the section down by the Dunlawton Approach that got damaged by eeeennnn Mathew(?) cost over 1 Million dollars to replace as per some regulation(?) (or just common sense) has to be built at a much higher standard (thicker/deeper/footer).

Crappy Ft Myers pier is gone, never went there and by viewing the live stream cam would never go to the overcrowded pier to see the sunset let alone the overcrowded beach.

10-06-22.HURRICANE IAN DEVASTATES SW FLORIDA HOUSING MARKET (1 OF 3).(FT.MYERS.PIER).jpg

Oh and by the way anyone that has been in Florida for more than a vacation that has half a brain knows about our shallow coastline 'shelf' that is ripe for massive hurricane storm surge. They keep lecturing about it, but nobody in the real estate market pays attention. This is way worse in the Gulf of Mexico and a reason why Ft. Myers and the Naples area was not developed for many decades.

GOOGLE.EARTH.FLORIDA.COASTLINE.jpg

See the light blue 'Shelf'? That is not deep ocean and hurricanes will just pile up that water and push it over the land in massive quantities as IAN has taught them.

It's not up to the gub-mint to "save" us.

Tell ya what, speaking of the tornadoes, when I got hit (and hit HARD!) in May 2003, you know who helped? Family, for starters. Plus, my union local stepped up with a $2,000 cash donation. My church offered $800. A Baptist church disaster team from Denton, Texas came up and helped clean and remove trees and such from my property, plus they helped my elderly neighbor across the street. We got fed by the Red Cross and Salvation Army for nearly two weeks (they delivered food). My boss let me use his generator for a week until I could get my own (we were off the power grid for 32 DAYS). My company gave me two full weeks of paid time while we cleaned up. Home Depot stopped by to donate tarps, plywood, hammers, nails, and other goods so we could cover what needed it. ALL private entities that helped not because they had to, but because they just showed up and helped! Imagine that!

The gub'mints role in all of this? ZERO.

So, **** FEMA. Like I said, a totally useless (and unconstitutional) agency.
That's nice.... Do you tithe your income to your church?

Not everybody has a Union job, just say'in.

That's nice.... Do you tithe your income to your church?

Not everybody has a Union job, just say'in.

Do you? Point is, the help was there, and I didn't depend on government for "help". And union job or not, I know plenty of folks that have got help from churches they don't even attend and businesses they don't work at.

Wow, go figure that...neighbor helping neighbor...what a concept! And apparently a foreign one, to you.

Point is, the help was there, and I didn't depend on government for "help". And union job or not, I know plenty of folks that have got help from churches they don't even attend. Wow, go figure that...neighbor helping neighbor...what a concept!
Maybe you didn't qualify for FEMA, ya know good Union paying job, maybe you were under insured. Reminds me of a fell'a that was down at the bar crying in his beer over loosing his roof in the '04 hurricanes sitting next to me as he had absolutely no insurance on his paid for house. Fresh retiree down from up'nort, lived in mainland South Daytona, not a wealthy city mostly blue collar retiree's. I go to him call FEMA they'll fix you up I hear (I've never had to deal with them), said he couldn't they wouldn't as his retiree income was too high. Funny thing is months later the bar maid comes up to me and asks if I've seen him lately as he hasn't paid his weekly 'Bar Tab'. I'm like WTF as this bimbo bar maid should know that's he's not a acquaintance of mine and I was only talking to him as the bar was crowded and seats were limited, in other words it was not where I usually sit. I asked her what his tab was up too and when she told me I just thought maaaaab'beeee he just needs to sober up for a month or 2 and pay someone to fix his roof!

:rofl:

No way in hell I would want to move to Florida just to wait for the inevitable….

I lived in Panama City Beach during hurricane Michael, the trailer I rode the storm out in survived better than most of my neighbors did. I watched as the storm pealed off the roof of my neighbor's house like a sardine can. Scary stuff. We lucked out, big time.

Anyways, regarding FEMA, guy across the street from me, his trailer was newer and didn't seem to be damaged much, less than mine in that regard. He filed a claim with FEMA, they totaled his place, cut him a check for $8k and said move out. PCB has a law on the books that if a mobile home is so old you can't move it, it has to be demolished on site, cut up and hauled off in dumpsters. So I never filed a claim, just slathered on 15 gallons of white elastomeric sealant on the roof, replaced the blown off trailer skirting and kept on keeping on. However, a lot of folks took their FEMA settlement money and left town for keeps. Lost a lot of locals that way, job market in town was hard up for warm bodies to sell tourist trinkets & margaritas, and "affordable housing" for the working class was scarce. Couple years later I packed up and left.

When I left, you couldn't throw a stick in that town without hitting a Help Wanted sign. After Michael tore thru, developers swooped in and bought everything in sight to build "nice homes" priced too high for blue collar working folks. But that's how I got my Newport to be honest. Previous owner was one of those who left town for good and abandoned it at the repair shop I worked at. After a year we filed a Mechanic's Lein against it and got a clean title. It was then when I joined this site. It's been my toy ever since.

No way in hell I would want to move to Florida just to wait for the inevitable….
Maybe that's why Florida is known as God's Waiting Room, all them retirees who move there for the mild winters and whatnot, just waiting to die.

You just wait until you're 85 and the arthritis in the winter gets so bad you'd rather die than suffer anymore, and you will see the appeal of Florida.

You just wait until you're 85 and the arthritis in the winter gets so bad you'd rather die than suffer anymore
I don't have to wait for 85. I will not be able to move at 85, that I will not make anyway. It will be better in my next life. :thumbsup:

Simple question... Just a yes or no would be sufficient.

(I suspect yes)

None of your business, either way. And your ramble above is irrelevant and not at all applicable to the discussion. Plenty of insurance to cover MOST of the loss. Rebuilt. Moved on. So should you.

Last edited:
We were on a cruise ship and left Bayonne, NJ on the 1st. We caught the tail of the hurricane that evening. View from our dinner table on deck 3, the video doesn't really do it justice. It smoothed out the next day and all was good.

I was told that a window on the same deck cracked from one of these waves. Made a mess of the cabin, but no injuries and they were located and upgraded to a better cabin.

We were on a cruise ship during Hurricane Sandy too.

We were on a cruise ship and left Bayonne, NJ on the 1st. We caught the tail of the hurricane that evening. View from our dinner table on deck 3, the video doesn't really do it justice. It smoothed out the next day and all was good.

I was told that a window on the same deck cracked from one of these waves. Made a mess of the cabin, but no injuries and they were located and upgraded to a better cabin.

We were on a cruise ship during Hurricane Sandy too.

Did anybody get sick from the wave action on the ship?

Did anybody get sick from the wave action on the ship?
We didn't and really saw no one that was. It was one of the huge ships (Oasis of the Seas) and they really don't move all that much.

From past experiences on cruise ships, if it gets really rough, the sea sickness bags get placed around the ship. With Hurricane Sandy, the bags were all over the place. Mrs. Big John (named Sandy!) made a visit to the sick bay for a shot in the arm that cured her sea sickness.

We didn't and really saw no one that was. It was one of the huge ships (Oasis of the Seas) and they really don't move all that much.

From past experiences on cruise ships, if it gets really rough, the sea sickness bags get placed around the ship. With Hurricane Sandy, the bags were all over the place. Mrs. Big John (named Sandy!) made a visit to the sick bay for a shot in the arm that cured her sea sickness.
Big John, your avatar kills me everytime , and I'm still reading your posts in a deep voice in my thoughts,
Have a good day!

Keeping with the theme of vacationing during a hurricane, we got back from Florida on Sunday.

We were staying on Daytona Beach until they kicked us out on Tuesday. When I saw them putting sand bags by the front doors, I knew that it was time to leave. They relocated us to Orlando and we sat out the storm there with no issues.... Except for having to stay in Orlando...

Hurricane Nicole leaves scenes of destruction on Daytona Beach

You know... No one has ever told me I have to leave because of a snow storm...

How'd you like all the motorists around here, John? I've been working in Orlando for 7 weeks and I've seen more insanity on the road than in all my previous 23 years of driving.
I developed a dislike for Orlando a while ago. We noticed the last time we were there that we seemed like a target while driving. New York State plates don't help anywhere in the south...

Honestly, they didn't say "Orlando" when they said "relocate". It was a surprise.... In hindsight, I should have just pointed the car north and driven home.

This past Summer we spent our 30th anniversary in St Augustine. It was 110 every day, and the water was 80 degrees. The resort closed down a 8 everynight along with most bars and resaurants. We found ourselves wandering Walmart until 11 each night just to do something. My big takaway was I really, really don't like Florida.

This past Summer we spent our 30th anniversary in St Augustine. It was 110 every day, and the water was 80 degrees. The resort closed down a 8 everynight along with most bars and resaurants. We found ourselves wandering Walmart until 11 each night just to do something. My big takaway was I really, really don't like Florida.
Yea, with apologies to the Florida guys, I'm not a fan either. My wife loves the beach.... and the occasional trip to where there is sand and sea makes the Carlisle and stuff like that possible.

Back