Hurricane Ian

In laws rode it out in Bonita Beach. Their cat 5 building held up fine. Cars on second floor. We've been through the beach area there, nice homes right there waiting to be knocked over unfortunately

In laws rode it out in Bonita Beach. Their cat 5 building held up fine. Cars on second floor. We've been through the beach area there, nice homes right there waiting to be knocked over unfortunately
I have two cousins with 3rd floor condos in Bonita Beach. One is on the water, the other is across the road and behind the first. Haven't heard how their places made out.

The perspective is weird though, I'll tell ya that....those people do look abnormally big for what appears to be be about 40 feet away. Tricks of the camera I guess.

I'm sure the car is insured and hopefully it can be saved. More importantly though I hope nobody was hurt. Look at that house though - despite ground floor flooding, it looks like unscathed otherwise. Not a window blown out. They'll just have to move the garage to the second floor.
More money than brains IMHO, shud'da rented himself a 'Man Cave' out by the Interstate.

hyde-park-daytona-gallery-7-L.png

Powerline trucks sitting at the Sped'way. Why aren't they out working? The flooding hasn't receded yet.

DIS.TRUCKS.001.jpg

Seems they have has a MAJOR LANDSLIDE outside turn 3 & 4 banking at the Sped'way.

DIS.LANDSLIDE.001.jpg

Flooding at the Sped'way here in Daytona beach. (this happens 2009 was worse)

09-30-22.Hurricane.IAN.Speedway.Flooding.001.jpg

This is a pictire from the 2009 flooding at the Sped'way.

309031071_166188666004479_7144623631307817933_n.jpg

This was flooding Thursday the 29th down by the RR tracks 2 block from where I use to live in the downtown area.

09-29-22.Hurricane IAN 92 @ Segrave.jpg

Stupid people just can't stay home. Yesterday the river was over the road down by where I live 1 block east of me and all the apartments (many) over that way are flooded just like when Hurricane Mathew came by up the coast not many years ago. All them people are scattering like rats leaving a sinking ship.

Here's our public housing in Daytona Beach flooding again, this never happened until they did the Nova Road widening project and then the over a decade long flood remediation project (canal cure that didn't work). Heh I remember the Massachusetts construction company that bailed on the job because they got the St. Johns I-4 Bridge bid. I think they were fined over 600 grand for going over the completion date.

09-30-22.Nova.Road.Flooding.001.jpg

Oh yea and during the Boom of 05/06 right next to this place the city dug a big hole in the ground too sell off the dirt. Someone had a $$$$ Bright Idea to make a big pond & park instead of saving that land for future affordable housing which is in dire need statewide here in Floriduh.

What Hurricane? What flooding? We're back to normal already!

10-01-22.CHEERS.SPORT.BAR.jpg

10-01-22.STAR.ISLAND.RESORT.POOL.jpg

I wonder if CBS knows they are using Cheers in the title of that sports bar....

The sea wall took a severe beating all up and down the beach here and I'll bet we will be hearing about it for the next decade. Last section that was destroyed down by the big condo towers in the 'Shores was a million dollars to replace IIRC.

309154683_10222678205127109_1575655491727156961_n.jpg

309202457_10222678211167260_1126170388651778653_n.jpg

I've already heard of one big long standing Hotel being condemned. More to follow I'll bet.

Another casualty of the storm, this is down at the new shopping mall where you pay a premium to shop there (service charge like One Daytona) some said tornado, but I think the people in that city said the roof was overloaded with rainwater. Weak roof? Clogged roof drains? Or just piss poor engineering & build quality? I'd go with all of the above.
Oh the 5 year old's down that way are a crying.

09-29-22 Hurricane IAN Chuck E Cheese in the Pavilion in Port Orange FL

09-29-22.Hurricane IAN Chuck E Cheese in the Pavillion Port Orange FL.jpg

Some more pictures of the Sped'way landslide.

SnapChat.2022_10-02-22_19-03-32_00_03_36_04.jpg
SnapChat.2022_10-02-22_19-03-32_00_03_38_05.jpg
SnapChat.2022_10-02-22_19-03-32_00_03_43_06.jpg
SnapChat.2022_10-02-22_19-03-32_00_03_45_07.jpg
SnapChat.2022_10-02-22_19-03-32_00_03_47_08.jpg
SnapChat.2022_10-02-22_19-03-32_00_03_48_09.jpg
SnapChat.2022_10-02-22_19-03-32_00_03_50_10.jpg

Seems the Motorcycle races are going on next week as scheduled as the ASRA site had no notice of any change.

Oh and somebody driving by think these are FEMA trailers, I don't think many were displaced by the flooding around here as that's happens here before in the usual places and the residents are use to it. I hope they aren't planning on moving Ft. Myers people up here (Hi cuz) we couldn't stand them when I lived in the Sarasota area in the 70's and the few I met that visited here... still can't stand them.

SnapChat.2022_10-02-22_19-03-32_00_00_34_01.jpg
SnapChat.2022_10-02-22_19-03-32_00_00_36_05.jpg

This is also out by the Sped'way and it ain't for the powerline people, They're staying at the Hilton.

Oh and somebody driving by think these are FEMA trailers, I don't think many were displaced by the flooding around here as that's happens here before in the usual places and the residents are use to it. I hope they aren't planning on moving Ft. Myers people up here (Hi cuz) we couldn't stand them when I lived in the Sarasota area in the 70's and the few I met that visited here... still can't stand them.

View attachment 561321View attachment 561322

This is also out by the Sped'way and it ain't for the powerline people, They're staying at the Hilton.

:confused:

Fort Myers is....was one of the most beautiful cities I've been to in Florida. I really feel bad for the people that moved there since I was going to move there too.

But I was shocked at the casual building codes down in Florida and Texas. Almost all houses are built at ground level of cheap materials, trailer homes everywhere, no flood plans like up north. Hopefully, when they rebuild, the govt will require regulations so the rest of USA taxpayers won't have to pay to rebuild their state again. (We all pay into FEMA and insurance, but seems only the Southern and Western states use it every year). Hurricane proof, Fire proof, Earthquake proof houses can be built and survive. If you don't have the money, then you shouldn't be allowed to live there.
Screenshot 2022-10-03 at 21-00-44 Hurricanes destroy beachside homes but not this one.png

Fort Myers is....was one of the most beautiful cities I've been to in Florida. I really feel bad for the people that moved there since I was going to move there too.

But I was shocked at the casual building codes down in Florida and Texas. Almost all houses are built at ground level of cheap materials, trailer homes everywhere, no flood plans like up north. Hopefully, when they rebuild, the govt will require regulations so the rest of USA taxpayers won't have to pay to rebuild their state again. (We all pay into FEMA and insurance, but seems only the Southern and Western states use it every year). Hurricane proof, Fire proof, Earthquake proof houses can be built and survive. If you don't have the money, then you shouldn't be allowed to live there.
View attachment 561336

To put this in perspective, taxpayer money from US citizens spent on Florida disasters pales in comparison to the money spent overseas (even the recent "covid" relief" money). For example, we send $10 million per day to Israel alone. And what about that recent $10 billion just sent to Ukraine...

Keep on working, folks.

Slipshod & shoddy construction and repairs abound statewide here in Floriduh, Quality is out the window when speed is of the essence. The first biggest line of bullshit I saw on the news I heard/saw for IAN was from.... yea you guessed it The Weather Channels Jim Cantore, (let me get my spiral bound notebook out) as the wind was blowing him around he said "Florida has high building codes and contractors adhere to it... some build above this code". No Jim go back to wherever you came from this is not 'Mike Holmes - Holmes On Homes'.

Here's one 700k+ subs UTubers plight with his lakeside house in the Orlando area during IAN and much before the hurricane. (this is the norm, believe me)

I'm not against FEMA, Israel, Ukraine, etc for the safety of the USA, but it would be nice to know which states get the most money and what they are doing with it. While down in New Orleans, it kinda freaked me out looking up at the ocean....only a huge concrete and dirt berm is keeping the ocean from wiping out the city. While I was in Houston, Biloxi and Panama City, the lots where houses once were before their hurricanes were for sale again. Hopefully they built houses 10 ft above ground.

Anyhow, there is corruption and greed everywhere, which is why regulations and codes are needed...but even regulations and codes get corrupt after awhile which brings prosperity to a grinding halt.

The richest families in the world started and own the Federal Reserve Bank. The US Govt is a customer of the Fed and therefore has little control of it. I'm afraid one day the Fed will stop loaning the USA money. When will the rich want their 31 trillion dollars back? At $100,000 per yr, it would take 310 million years to pay off....thats insanity. For reference, Reptiles which layed eggs on ground instead of in the water for the first time walked the earth. (Dinosaurs didn't show up until 50 million years later....if you believe in that kind of thing.)

I don't have any answers... I'm just venting...sorry about that.

Yea get rid of FEMA... tell that to the survivors of all of the tornados in the Mid-West.

Repeal the Sixteenth Amendment? Yea there goes all your Interstate highways...

It's funny in the rise of our local.... oh jaaazus I'm gonna go political... nevermind.

It's not up to the gub-mint to "save" us.

Tell ya what, speaking of the tornadoes, when I got hit (and hit HARD!) in May 2003, you know who helped? Family, for starters. Plus, my union local stepped up with a $2,000 cash donation. My church offered $800. A Baptist church disaster team from Denton, Texas came up and helped clean and remove trees and such from my property, plus they helped my elderly neighbor across the street. We got fed by the Red Cross and Salvation Army for nearly two weeks (they delivered food). My boss let me use his generator for a week until I could get my own (we were off the power grid for 32 DAYS). My company gave me two full weeks of paid time while we cleaned up. Home Depot stopped by to donate tarps, plywood, hammers, nails, and other goods so we could cover what needed it. ALL private entities that helped not because they had to, but because they just showed up and helped! Imagine that!

The gub'mints role in all of this? ZERO.

So, **** FEMA. Like I said, a totally useless (and unconstitutional) agency.

Last edited:
Back