I cut out this rusty trunk! ‘68 New Yorker

++XLNT work on that trunk! I was pleasantly surprised to see that some good soul replaced a pan and repaired others in the trunk of our 1968 Newport ragtop, which came out decent, but I see your work exceeds that in quality. I plan to have ALL the bottom sheetmetal double coated before I drive that car East of the Pecos, especially after seeing how horribly eroded some key portions of the frame in our deceased '66 are after peeling away some cosmetic work there. Given the look of the damage, I suspect this occurred long ago, while the car rolled down the roads of Hoosierland, the State it originally was titled in. I thank God I found one that made it out here by 1977!

I commend your work in reviving another working artifact of the Lost Golden Age of Detroit Iron. Folk of the barrios I abide in LOVE seeing such rolling down the streets here. Having replaced the rear springs in mine last weekend, it now rolls SAFELY on these cratered paths too! Be sure to check out Springs n Things when you're ready to give yours a "butt-lift" as the Babushka calls it.

If you bought the c2c drop offs, they don't fit good at all. you'll end up having to slice and reform them to match the area at the rear and flange them to fit the bottoms of the quarter panels.

I can attest to this. I got the C2C drop offs and they don't fit right at all. For the driver side where I just used a cut from them, it may have saved me a little time. But for the passenger side where I'm replacing the entire piece, I would've been better off starting with a flat piece of sheet metal....and I'm in no way a pro at forming sheet-metal!

The trunk pan is a Classic 2 Current repop. Not the best, but a WHOLE lot better than nothing! It worked nicely for what we needed.
I used their driver front floor pan and it was usable and saved some time.

20220914_165457.jpg

I recognize that view...!

Phil

Back