I got the unanswerable questions you’ve been begging for

sclerotiafanatic

Reaction score
Hello everybody. Let me say first they I have scoured these and other forums for the following answers to my questions.

I have a 1966 dodge polars 4 door
YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Just gonna be honest I’m 38 had this car since I was 18…. No other car for this swap we can just get that out the way.

So the donor car….
2018 jeep grand Cherokee srt. 6.4 ok it’s got 870 hp it’s all wheel drive.

Which brings up my question. I have figured out most of the build. Mounts, wiring harness, trans controller, reinforcing.
I plan to use both the engine and the trans

Not sure if I can use any front or rear end parts from this vehicle.

If I can use the parts off the donor car or if I have to go with the ford 9 or another option.

My question is it is possible if ima have to change transfer case and front and rear end anyway can I make this vehicle AWD?

I understand it won’t be cheap nothing is but what would it take if we can’t use the parts from the donor

buy a plasma cutter, and get cutting. Not much of your car will be left once you get the drive train placed

First off...how are you getting that HP figure?:confused:Have Moser build you a custom Dana 60. Forget the AWD...sell your current transmission and get an 8HP from a Hellcat or SRT Challenger.I am assuming you went with Sound German to control the 8HP.

Capture.JPG

For the basic Gen III Hemi installation, there have been a few such conversions chronicled in HERE. The last one posted was for a '66 Chrysler Newport 4-dr sedan. Using a modified BMW controller. With the ZF/TF automatic.

The basic Chrysler 8.75" rear axle is pretty strong, but does not have the same level of "hot rod" industry support as the Dana 60 or Ford 9" axles do. In one particular engine/transmission combination, back in the middle-to-late 1960s, a Dana 60 was used in a C-body car. Good luck on finding THAT axle out of a car.

NOW . . . if you have any dreams of taking the car to a drag strip as the donor vehicle might have done . . . remember that your Dodge is a UNIBODY car. It might well need some additional reinforcements in the floor pan/rocker panel area so it does not TWIST from the torque reaction of engine/trans/sticky tires the donor vehicle (or similar) had from the factory.

To verify these things, you need to search THIS FORUM for a member with a '66 New Yorker 4-dr and a stroker 440 that runs very quickly in the 1/4 mile, drives the car normally, even with factory a/c and power steering. Seeing what he has done with the body to mount the much wider rear tires and such. Other than the wider tires, in the pictures, it looks like a normal New Yorker. YouTube videos, too!

Doing the Gen III Hemi and transmission swap are pretty easy to do. It's the REST of the situation (of your dreams) that will cause the problems with correctly re-engineering things to work well for an extended period of time. Have your plan ON PAPER BEFORE any metal is cut! Review it several times before then, too.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

You are not going to find a step by step tutorial regarding your swap. Most who have attempted start with a rear drive only platform. If you want to go AWD, I would think the finished product would sit a few inches higher than stock, front and rear.

This amount of work is not for the faint hearted. You either need to have a lot of fabrication skills along with a good sense of engineering and a serious amount of patience. That, or a lot of money.

I wish you the best, but given your sentimental connection to your car, I feel the need "warn" you. A lot of these swaps end up half finished when it becomes obvious that they've bitten of more than they can chew. Not saying that's you, but it happens...

IF you are as attached to the car you have, after all of these years, why are you desiring to "cut it up" for your pleasure? Why not go the 541 stroker route and maintain its stock appearance but with massive amounts of torque?

I know, going that direction will not have the trendiness of "Hellcatting It", but can produce lots of power that can produce similar results. Yeah, put the 8-speed in the mix too, plus the needed upgraded rear axle and driveshaft. When somebody asks "Is that a 440 in there?" You can then say "Just a little 541 . . ."

Your dreams, your money, your time, your car . . .

The OTHER side of things is that as great as the Gen III Hemi might be, plus the PentaStar V-6, from what I've been reading of late, BOTH of those engine families have their faults. Some of which I was surprised that Chrysler Engineering approved and knew about! End result is that as much as I like the current Chrysler 300, I'm not so sure about owning one, with either engine. Probably endure my 2005 LeSabre and put some new shocks/struts on it instead. BTAIM OR go "Hurricane" and let the warranty handle things.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I wanna say thank you guys for the timely response. I gotta learn more about cars so I can be of help to people too. To be fair in my gardening forum I’m the man.

Gonna scroll up and address questions and comments to the best of my ability.

Here’s where I got the HP donor car stats

2018 Jeep srt
Forged drop ins
Full Bwoody
P1x procharger-9 pounds boost
Eibach-pro's
1050 injectors
Gt haus exhaust
90mm BBK
MMX Cam
870HP
93 gas

I already have this vehicle…..

I am attached to the car and I no longer have the original engine. It would be nice to have a damn near sleeper lololol.

I did see the fury on here and the 4 door.

Saw on websites
That have the reinforcement for the frame and torque something

Saw the wiring harness
and trans controller

Was hoping to use the same trans(to save money) is that not possible b/c the vehicle is awd?

It has the 8 speed auto in it
(Understand prolly gonna have to fab the tunnel

Follow

You're asking more questions than can be answered in one thread. Plus, what you want to do is usually done by professional shops and even they don't know all the questions until they encounter them. Don't be offended but this seems like it may be way over your head.

Whst is the wheelbase of the Jeep?
Anywhere close to the Dodge's wheelbase?
If you want AWD, hollow out the Dodge, cut the Jeep body off the platform an slide the Dodge over the Jeep platform.
Sorta like the Dukes cutting up Crown Vics and turning them into 69 Chargers.

Last edited:
I agree that looking at putting the car body on the Jeep is likely the easier option.
If that boggles the mind then you don't understand the awd swap you asked about yet...

I wanna say thank you guys for the timely response. I gotta learn more about cars so I can be of help to people too. To be fair in my gardening forum I’m the man.

Gonna scroll up and address questions and comments to the best of my ability.

Here’s where I got the HP donor car stats

2018 Jeep srt
Forged drop ins
Full Bwoody
P1x procharger-9 pounds boost
Eibach-pro's
1050 injectors
Gt haus exhaust
90mm BBK
MMX Cam
870HP
93 gas

I already have this vehicle…..

I am attached to the car and I no longer have the original engine. It would be nice to have a damn near sleeper lololol.

I did see the fury on here and the 4 door.

Saw on websites
That have the reinforcement for the frame and torque something

Saw the wiring harness
and trans controller

Was hoping to use the same trans(to save money) is that not possible b/c the vehicle is awd?

It has the 8 speed auto in it
(Understand prolly gonna have to fab the tunnel

Follow
IMHO... And realize that my brain thinks in inches, like god intended, rather than millimeters.

This is a big project... The ideas of swapping the body onto the chassis sounds great, but since this sounds like a first attempt for you, "keep it simple" or "KISS" needs to be your mantra.

So, just concentrate on the engine swap... leave the AWD stuff alone. I'm not sure what transmission you can use with this much power. Off hand, it seems like the A518 could be used, but you'll have to figure out if that will live behind that engine.

Maybe think about dialing back the power a bit... That could solve some issues, still give you a pretty good ride... Remember that Polara is probably 1000lbs lighter than the Jeep.

Think about brakes... Some of the disc conversion kits are junk and too small for a C-body. The Leeds junk comes to mind here... But you have to stop it...

I would look at subframe connectors to stiffen the car. Easy to do and effective.

A 9" Ford rear is a good choice... but if the power is dialed back, an 8 3/4 can work and chances are your car already has one.

Those are my thoughts... But try to apply the same thought process to someone you are giving advice to on your gardening forum. There's a huge difference between growing a few tomato plants and starting a 40 acre farm. I'm sure you would advise starting out to plant a small garden that they can manage and have some fun doing. Same principal here....

the entire design of the vehicle, no matter what it is, is based on the height of the cowl. Which is in direct relation the height of the engine. On top of that, you want to use the trans and transfer case,and front diff. So, I would have to get the measurement from the lowest point of the assembly in the Jeep to the highest. It may not even fit as a complete unit where you would like it to..

This is just my opinion. Be very careful in estimating your skill level and the time necessary to complete this project.The key word is complete....you may start off with 2 vehicles and end up with none.I was going to swap a hemi and an 8 speed into my 1970 Fury, but I have backed out.Maybe I am a wuss, but I want to drive it before I die. Is this what you really envision?:wtf:
Capture.JPG

This is just my opinion. Be very careful in estimating your skill level and the time necessary to complete this project.The key word is complete....you may start off with 2 vehicles and end up with none.I was going to swap a hemi and an 8 speed into my 1970 Fury, but I have backed out.Maybe I am a wuss, but I want to drive it before I die. Is this what you really envision?:wtf:

View attachment 649423
Sometimes a conversion to AWD doesn't need to look like that. Here's an Trackhawk morphed into a Charger/Magnum...
There's a whole series of this build, granted it is easier than a c-body.

View attachment 649423
I would drive that

There is a guy on forbbodiesonly doing the full awd conversion and I think 6.4 swap from a jeep on a 68 charger. Give that a look see. It’s an incredible amount of fab work. I would personally stick to an engine and trans swap and call it a day. It’ll be enough work to get that finished up and functional.
Travis

Just looked, the thread is called “not a typical 68 charger”, located in the resto-mod & pro touring forum.
Travis..

Back