I have back-up lights for the first time

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I never had backup lights, I don't drive a lot at night but I realized it also let's people know that you're backing up, so it's a good safety measure too.

I may not be totally done because the sockets are rusty and I didn't replace them. I was going to take a Dremel tool to them later to try to clean up the rust. They still seem pretty solid. I replaced the hotline and the spring on the one side, they were toast.

I was finally happy with my electrical repair. I bought a nice crimper, butt connectors with heat shrink, and marine heat shrink to wrap it up tight. If you don't already have these items I would highly recommend, very satisfying to do it right.

IMG_20170402_174514092_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170402_173805347.jpg
IMG_20170402_174716094.jpg

As our cars reach the 40-50 year old mark,electrical is critical.
That is my forte. It became my specialty due to the fact I want every light the car was born with work,LOL!
Old wiring that can be brittle,overheated over time,add green death,and dampness,it can disable a vehicle in a hurry or worse.
Kudos to you my friend,and keep the tools handy for those road trips!!

As our cars reach the 40-50 year old mark,electrical is critical.
That is my forte. It became my specialty due to the fact I want every light the car was born with work,LOL!
Old wiring that can be brittle,overheated over time,add green death,and dampness,it can disable a vehicle in a hurry or worse.
Kudos to you my friend,and keep the tools handy for those road trips!!
Lea, any chance you can repost the how-to you had over at Fins on replacing the crimped sockets? I'm sure many people would benefit by it.

I never had backup lights, I don't drive a lot at night but I realized it also let's people know that you're backing up, so it's a good safety measure too.

I may not be totally done because the sockets are rusty and I didn't replace them. I was going to take a Dremel tool to them later to try to clean up the rust. They still seem pretty solid. I replaced the hotline and the spring on the one side, they were toast.

I was finally happy with my electrical repair. I bought a nice crimper, butt connectors with heat shrink, and marine heat shrink to wrap it up tight. If you don't already have these items I would highly recommend, very satisfying to do it right.

View attachment 120828 View attachment 120829 View attachment 120830
Nice one!

Think I am missed something. You had them but they did not work. You didn't have them on the car at all and installed them. Both my 66s have them. That doesn't matter nice job.

On 65s I there is a switch on the column about 6 inches before the firewall. It is adjustable. You may have already look at that.

On 65s I there is a switch on the column about 6 inches before the firewall. It is adjustable. You may have already look at that.
I gotta mess around with it some more. Need a friend behind the car to watch em. Tried with a mirror but it's kind of a PITA

Think I am missed something. You had them but they did not work. You didn't have them on the car at all and installed them. Both my 66s have them. That doesn't matter nice job.

Basically knew they were crusty and never tried to replace the guts and never even imagined they were still viable.

That's great you got them working, what else is left to do on Goldie? I haven't even bothered trying to get mine working, too many other important wires need replacing first!

I think I have had it with the factory choke, I bought another used thermal, which did work either. I am going to look for my electronic options. Then my winter list is clear. :)

Basically knew they were crusty and never tried to replace the guts and never even imagined they were still viable.

Mike: I'm in the same boat. My backup lights are totally cruddy. Haven't even bothered with them yet.

Back