I really messed it up....

Just wanted to give an update here - as well as post another question.

After dealing with the lug nut, replacing the CV axle turned out to be cake....easier than I thought. I then replaced the stud, rotors and pads and....got all new chrome lug nuts. I tossed the stupid capped ones.

There was some trans fluid that came out with the CV axle....I have it in a drip pan which I bought new so it should not be contaminated. Since this is the transmission with the no-dipstick deal I am wondering if I should just pour it back in. The fluid was changed about 50K miles ago so another thought was maybe I should take it somewhere to have it flushed and refilled....probably the dealership (I read the Transmission PITA thread).

What do you guys think?
How much fluid are we talking about? A pint? A quart? I would measure the amount in the pan and top off the trans with that amount. Check the owners manual but it should be ATF+4.

Really? I've been doing that since I was a teenager... I've only ever had one wheel loosen, and that was one I had never touched. Blame the local tire shop for that one.

Having gone through the OP's problem on a few cars that my kids dragged home over the years, I continue to put just a little dab of anti-seize on the lug nut. I also re-tighten the lug nuts after driving it the first couple of days and I tighten by hand, only depending on my impact to spin the nut on. Keep in mind that my daily drivers are immersed in a salt bath that I like to call "nature's lock-tite".
Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't want to start disputing any success stories... I will continue to discourage the use of lubricants, and especially anti seize, for one reason... too many times, I have seen loose wheels that someone used the "more is better " theory. I would use anti seize on the hub/wheel mating surfaces so you don't have to beat them apart. The stuff gets over used and used where it never belongs way too often... even if the tragedies only seem to surface for a fraction of the offenders.

Last edited:
Back