I think it’s the Ballast resistor?

spaghetti_on_the_wall.jpg

Good test run with no issues.
My synopsis.
I believe my ballast resistor may have been the first link in the intermittent chain. I did run it about 80 miles with it being erratic and found my BR to be broken. Cause or unintended casualty?
706D626E-13DE-46C7-96AA-E1BDB3512D94.jpeg

Did the erratic resistance or voltage in the 80 miles put undue load on my condenser and points causing my condenser to fry?
I am not sure of the spring tension on the points I had in there (circa 2007, 3,000 miles.) Seems pretty strong hot or cold.
image.jpg

image.jpg

It is highly likely that the condenser was the secondary issue after the BR.
I like to change points and condensers in sets. I will heat up the old condenser and see if I find anything. Otherwise I am calling it fixed.

Last edited:
Just fyi if the condenser shorts out it will take out the ballast resistor also in time.

It has been a while since we had a good troubleshooting thread. :p

As I am starting to get a lot of help, I am going to plot out my course of action.

Starting easy and non invasive.

1. reinstall coil that I was originally running when this started. (My old original did not fix the problem)
2. Bypass my key switch to see if I can rule the switch out. ( easy step) @413

3. If still an issue, heat cycle my points and condenser. per @halifaxhops

They have a How to thread on FABO they need it here also this I posted up there.
Great How to Diagnose Basic Ignitions

Just fyi if the condenser shorts out it will take out the ballast resistor also in time.

Hi HH.

I can't personally say I have ever seen this but i have seen people leaving the ignition in the run position and not start the engine.

It can & usually leads to prematurely failed welded points & condensers but not a ballast resistor...
Can you add to this for clarification sake?

Good test run with no issues.
My synopsis.
I believe my ballast resistor may have been the first link in the intermittent chain. I did run it about 80 miles with it being erratic and found my BR to be broken. Cause or unintended casualty?
View attachment 398564

Did the erratic resistance or voltage in the 80 miles put undue load on my condenser and points causing my condenser to fry?
I am not sure of the spring tension on the points I had in there (circa 2007, 3,000 miles.) Seems pretty strong hot or cold.
View attachment 398565
View attachment 398566
It is highly likely that the condenser was the secondary issue after the BR.
I like to change points and condensers in sets. I will heat up the old condenser and see if I find anything. Otherwise I am calling it fixed.
I don’t understand how someone could screw up manufacturing something so simple.
It’s a frickin’ wire wound resistor!

upload_2020-8-30_6-50-31.jpeg

It will weld the points together, or should I say pit/arc them. Puts a load on the condenser by constanly discharging it in a way. Come to think of it I cant remember one burning the ballast out.

I don’t understand how someone could screw up manufacturing something so simple.
It’s a frickin’ wire wound resistor!

View attachment 398654

You need to understand that this resistor that failed was installed in the mid ‘80’s about 50k miles ago. It was in a plastic bag in a box of parts for 12 years and moved 3 times. Plus the Terminal tangs were kind of loose. I probably started the breakage during all the handling.

You need to understand that this resistor that failed was installed in the mid ‘80’s about 50k miles ago. It was in a plastic bag in a box of parts for 12 years and moved 3 times. Plus the Terminal tangs were kind of loose. I probably started the breakage during all the handling.
Ok
Maybe mis-handing caused it.

Ok
Maybe mis-handing caused it.
Highly likely. It seem the wire is wrapped around a ceramic cloth covered core. So likely brittle. I first noticed some problem soon after some rumble strips. And then I fiddled with it. And then fiddled again likely making it worse.
Any way it is fixed with new BR and condenser and points.
I need to get my oscilloscope diagnostic tester back together. It would have been a much quicker and definite troubleshooting process.

I carry a bag of BR's in the glove box.

Lately the new ones haven't been lasting very long. 2 in the matter of five thousand miles approximately.
I always carry a spar BR & condensor in the glove box. Does anyone make decent replacement parts for any vintage vehicle these days? I'm thinking the answer is a resounding NO! Pretty sad really.

Back