I want to upgrade the radio

brandvdub

Reaction score
I have a 66 Newport the radio doesn’t work and I would like to upgrade it. I’m having issues finding it aftermarket radio. Does anyone have a good reliable source to upgrade my radio

If stock appearances are important, the above upgrade, is not inexpensive, but is not too far off from a good aftermarket radio.

In the middle 1960s and thereabouts, any aftermarket radios were "universal" in nature AND looked like it. YUK! A few years later, with the advent of 8-track stereo tape, many underdash units abounded from good manufacturers, some even with FM stereo in them. Pioneer had their "hump mount" units, too.

RetroSound might be a source for such units. Some of which have remote controls and are mounted in the glove compartment.

Nothing's going to fit the factory instrument panel except a factory Chrysler (only) radio. AM/FM mono was available, plus a "Search Tuner" AM/FM.

On the PLUS side, there are TWO 6x9 holes in the rear package tray. A rear speaker was a factory option. The other hole could be used by the factory-option rear seat rear window defroster/heater. Check the 1966 Chrysler Vehicle Order Guide at www.hamtramck-historical.com "Library" for details on where the rear speaker fader was located and other things related to the car.

CBODY67

RetroSound might be a source for such units.
Personal experience with RetroSound products was awful. I had 2 of their speakers fail miserably.

From talking to a couple people "in the know", RetroSound doesn't have the best reputation for any of their stuff. But as always, YMMV.

Here is a another radio restoration and upgrade shop in Ontario Canada. CDN dollars.

I've had two radios converted here: Aurora FMR Stereo Conversion

Not the cheapest option, but the results are great. The radio looks factory, because it is, and sounds great.
you had me excited for a minute when first looking at this site I just learned about but they dont work on my factory 66 radio with a cassette / 8track player :(:BangHead:

Here is what I did.... Blue tooth, so I don't break the law when someone calls, and I took the power wire from the clock to keep memory on the station presets. New Alpine 6x9s in the rear deck and a retrosound 4x10 { i think } in the dash. The head unit I traded for, so it was all but free. I made the box out of what was let of my fridge whan it died. I cut all the metal off the sides. I bought an 8 track on ebay for $35 and used the face only. The plastic base is a Metra under dash mount I flipped upside down and cut to fit. The speakers from Crutchfield. I have less $100 tied up in the whole thing. Oh the Creedence was $1 at a local junk store. I wanted "The Blues Brothers" but, they were too much on ebay.

20220730_170741.jpg

20220730_170749.jpg

20240218_150008.jpg

20240218_151443.jpg

I have a 66 Newport the radio doesn’t work and I would like to upgrade it. I’m having issues finding it aftermarket radio. Does anyone have a good reliable source to upgrade my radio
Is your radio the original tumble wheel radio? I have that on my 67 Custom Newport, and while it does still work, mine is an AM radio only. I kept it, and well installed a JVC stereo under my seat. Now, locally I don't listen to the radio stations because you get 15 minutes of music, 20 minutes of commercials, 10 minutes of useless conversation, oh and they may throw a song in their sometimes. Basically, they SUCK.. I also installed a 12 disc CD changer in the trunk, which is great for road trips, and have Sirius XM radio control head I can move from vehicle to vehicle, since I own more than one. I wasn't going to pay a subscription for each one. Now, if you don't want, or don't mind changing the look of originality, you can cut the dash (or in this case), cut the plate from the original stereo and install what you like. Look at the space under your seat. Oh, I forgot to mention, the stereo I installed does have a remote, so I can just hold the wireless remote down and turn of the volume, or switch functions with no issues, yea, it takes a little time to remember what button to push for what, but works great. Good luck..

Admittedly it's not my idea, I saw it at the end of a "just rolled in" video. I thought I can do that. So, there it is. I really tried to find a mopar 8 track pedestal. Well, I wasn't willing to pay what the person wanted. Thanks for the compliment

Not knowing your budget, what you want your music source to be, or the sound quality you want, it's a guessing game.

An option is to mount a slim EQ like this under the dash. Leave your orig radio in place for appearance sake?
Find an EQ that has a volume knob, like this one. (most have it, but not all)
Some also have a 3.5mm input jack on the front panel.
Connect your MP3 player to it with a 3.5mm cord, or a 3.5mm-adapter into the RCA jacks in the rear.
You'll have volume control from both your MP3 or the EQ (although that one will be a long reach).

If you are playing via Bluetooth from your phone, you could find some type of BT adapter to mix into this.

I have this little EQ and it seems OK, and CT Sounds has a decent rep on amazon.
The 6x9s have a silk-dome tweeter and should have non-harsh highs.
The amp is 4-channels, so if you ever wanted to add front speakers or a wooferbox. (a single 8" is sufficient for most of us old guys)
If you want to cut cost, a Boss 2-channel amp should suit well.

If this route interests you, I could make more suggestions.

If you are wanting to listen to AM or FM - I have no more suggestions.

1709084740291.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9UK4Z...SDVCAE7S&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it
1709085553386.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ6D96...SDVCAE7S&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it
1709085571814.png

Oh, and a wiring kit.
https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-A...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
1709087000182.png

Last edited:
Back