If you could have a home anywhere in the world...

Montana, my man. but I would live in Wyoming as well.

Fresh air, land as far as the eye can see, and CHEAP to live there.

sure there's snow, but Im used to it. nothing a heated pole barn couldnt fix. lol

Montana, my man. but I would live in Wyoming as well.

Fresh air, land as far as the eye can see, and CHEAP to live there.

sure there's snow, but Im used to it. nothing a heated pole barn couldnt fix. lol

I wonder sometimes whether the reality of moving to such an isolated location would be all it we tend to dream it would be. Few people around, limited medical care and hospitals that is more of an issue as we age, still dealing with the cold, limited markets and auto parts stores, younger people always exiting to areas of more job opportunities or schooling, etc.......... It sounds nice especially if you have been living in overcrowded cities and constant bother and traffic most of your life, but going strongly in the opposite direction might not be as satisfying as we dream. Being isolated is sometimes one of the key factors for cutting one's quality of life and life expectancy short.

West Bay, Grand Cayman.

Why?

fun-in-the-sun.jpg

That's it - ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet :)

The hope of buying back my childhood home that my parents built in 1963 is hopeless. The new owner since 1987 will not sell. Wife and I bought a house near my childhood home and we are doing some restoration but the property taxes (Central NJ) are getting out of hand. We take pride in our property but we see younger homeowners around here neglecting the landscaping, parking boats on the front side lawns and doing other undesirable things. In a few years we will sell this house and buy one in south NJ in a nice 1971 senior community. 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, ranch style, 1/5 acre, attached garage (built large enough in 1971 to easily accomodate an early 70s C body). Lower property taxes (not many schools near senior community). Home owner by-laws to protect the beauty, cleanliness and general appearance of the community. We like all that. Attached is a photo of one the 2,337 houses built there in 1971, for sale right now for $109,000.

image.jpg

I wonder sometimes whether the reality of moving to such an isolated location would be all it we tend to dream it would be. Few people around, limited medical care and hospitals that is more of an issue as we age, still dealing with the cold, limited markets and auto parts stores, younger people always exiting to areas of more job opportunities or schooling, etc.......... It sounds nice especially if you have been living in overcrowded cities and constant bother and traffic most of your life, but going strongly in the opposite direction might not be as satisfying as we dream. Being isolated is sometimes one of the key factors for cutting one's quality of life and life expectancy short.

This is very true. but then again, if one takes their time and finds the right location, one could have the best of both. Out in Montana and parts of Canada (as far as i've seen) you can drive 20 min away from the "city," and you are in wide-open country with no one around.

Full disclosure...I am a city boy (currently), but I have had my fair share of being out in the middle of nowhere up north and it is great. As a matter of fact, I purposely go to the middle of nowheres on vacation instead of club mex, etc I enjoy it that much. And I would not be alone per se (my significant other would be with me).

You can keep your suburbia and the city, neighbors are unacceptable period, you can walk to my neighbor's house but bring comfortable shoes and that close enough for both of us.
I'm sure he can hear the turbocharger whine from my straight stacks at 3:30am and I can hear the pow,pow,pow when he is target practicing so we are good don't come put your house in the middle then there will be 2 problems.

I'm in the little town of Marcellus, just outside of Syracuse.

I have the best of both worlds where I am. I'm out in the country yet I'm close to civilization. I can be at Walmart in 10 minutes, Wegmans in 15, the hospital in 15, any of the doctor's (and you have more the older you get) in a half hour. Work was 20 minutes. Great schools too, not that it matters to me anymore. I can also go buy vegetables at the farmer's stand down the street if I want. No "HOA" and some nice neighbors that mind their own business.

My neighbors are a little closer than I would like, but I haven't found another area that was as good as this without sacrificing too many other things.

This is very true. but then again, if one takes their time and finds the right location, one could have the best of both. Out in Montana and parts of Canada (as far as i've seen) you can drive 20 min away from the "city," and you are in wide-open country with no one around.

Full disclosure...I am a city boy (currently), but I have had my fair share of being out in the middle of nowhere up north and it is great. As a matter of fact, I purposely go to the middle of nowheres on vacation instead of club mex, etc I enjoy it that much. And I would not be alone per se (my significant other would be with me).

We are all different. I tend to think things over a lot before I make a move. All I can say it that going into retirement at 65 or thereabouts is a big change from your usual lifestyle of the previous 65 years, and very different than a vacation experience. It is a permanent vacation, and all the preperations you will make still won't ready you for the drastic change and unexpected realities of old age. I like Big John's set up, as it is pretty much what I have done too, at least the best I can in Southern California. I am glad I thought it through and didn't just follow my wide open dreams and live in a pretty remote area. Having a wife that is also your best friend and being totally committed to each other is a big help in whatever you choose. Good luck.

We are all different. I tend to think things over a lot before I make a move. All I can say it that going into retirement at 65 or thereabouts is a big change from your usual lifestyle of the previous 65 years, and very different than a vacation experience. It is a permanent vacation, and all the preperations you will make still won't ready you for the drastic change and unexpected realities of old age. I like Big John's set up, as it is pretty much what I have done too, at least the best I can in Southern California. I am glad I thought it through and didn't just follow my wide open dreams and live in a pretty remote area. Having a wife that is also your best friend and being totally committed to each other is a big help in whatever you choose. Good luck.

Thanks.

This will all be thought out and "extremely vetted" before I make any moves. I do have a ways to go before I even think of retiring, but I at least have a monetary plan to get there (which is the first step, right?) and who knows what will happen with me and what will happen with the world by then.

So alas, all I have for right now is a dream and a little pile of cash. :D

Stop smoking and extend your life.

I did....when I got back from Iraq.

Hypnosis. One 2 hour session and I haven't smoked since.

PicsArt_08-17-08.43.58.jpg
As much as a Thomas Kinkaid cottage on a remote riverbank was my goal all my life, the reality of aging made my final decision. You need to expand the pic to see what it was.

LOL i love the Newhart references "This is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother Darryl"

Carmine makes a good point, though. Rules! The green-sneakers have a firm hold here, and there's cold weather. But aside from a required annual safety inspection, owning a classic here is not difficult (and who here is gonna let their car go to where it needs basic stuff like properly functioning wipers or ball joints?). Registration fees are reasonable (unless you want an 'antique' plate, but believe me it's not worth it) and cars over 20 years of age do not require a title. There's no emissions test requirement. As with the pics he posted, a bunch of older rides here are daily drivers, and none are on their way to a car show. However, if there IS a car show, classic metal comes out of the woodwork...

View attachment 88912 As much as a Thomas Kinkaid cottage on a remote riverbank was my goal all my life, the reality of aging made my final decision. You need to expand the pic to see what it was.

I can appreciate your situation. Our home choice has to factor in access for a wheelchair as well as decent hospital care so as much as we both would love to have that Log home on the mountain miles from everyone it's just not in the cards. That is until such time as I win the Powerball and hire hot & cold running nurses and a full time Dr.

Actually I can't imagine living anywhere else but in South Louisiana. Our culture, our food, our fisheries, the way we take time to talk to strangers.

A few pics of the place I call home.

2011-06-19_14-12-25_709.jpg

Screenshot_2014-07-11-22-52-28.png

FB_IMG_1462839831859.jpg

FB_IMG_1433805441742.jpg

There was a restaurant I passed the other day down here that was boiling up a bunch of them there mud bugs. If'in the yougin' wasn't with me I would have had a long lunch.

Actually I can't imagine living anywhere else but in South Louisiana. Our culture, our food, our fisheries, the way we take time to talk to strangers.

A few pics of the place I call home.
It was back in my younger days but I found that I didn't sleep much in New Orleans, sensory overload.

Back