Ignition ideas ?

santts

Reaction score
Figured I post again . Ignition control plug got very hot and was smoking . Then spark proceeded to go down ground wire towards alternator. I changed ignition module , checked continuity off ignition wires ( all fine). Checked resistor and voltage regulator, all ok. I first though it was bad ground . Maybe due to this I cooked something. Coil?

20230618_215747.jpg

If that is a real Mopar chrome box it will get very hot they are not designed to run on the street, strip only so they get shut down and cool between runs especially if using the .25 ohm resistor that is matched to them.

ecu III.png

Yes I believe it's original. Cars been running great the last two years . It's a 65 plymouth savoy .
If that is a real Mopar chrome box it will get very hot they are not designed to run on the street, strip only so they get shut down and cool between runs especially if using the .25 ohm resistor that is matched to them.

View attachment 602923
Rd

Figured I post again . Ignition control plug got very hot and was smoking . Then spark proceeded to go down ground wire towards alternator. I changed ignition module , checked continuity off ignition wires ( all fine). Checked resistor and voltage regulator, all ok. I first though it was bad ground . Maybe due to this I cooked something. Coil?

View attachment 602844
You should not have voltage at a ground wire.
You need to look for a short to power/current.
You can connect one wire of your multimeter to the ground wire, the second to the powered voltage carrying wires nearby, set the dial to resistance (ohms) and find the short.

Generally the ground wire (control wire) from the plug at the ignition control/ECU runs to the distributor or coil, not the alternator. I usually run a ground wire from one of the ECU mounting bolts to the back of the engine, to remove issues with body ground. I would unwrap the black tape from the wiring harness and verify what the smoking wire connects to.

Factory shop manual with wiring diagram can usually be downloaded free from MyMopar
Wiring errors can be found by comparing your wiring to the wiring diagrams at the end of chapter 8.

Last edited:
Thankyou .i have begun to unwrap . copper ground goes to plug at cap and rotor for pickup I believe . Copper was the one that heated up and melted wire casing slightly . No damage to wires in harness

There is no 65 Plymouth savoy.
That’s when the models changed to
Belvedere I
Belvedere II
Satellite
Click the link for the factory brochure.

lov2xlr8.no

All 65 Plymouths street cars came with points ignition.
so nothing you have is original to the car.

savoy may have been a canada only model...electronic ignition conversion harnesses are available for about $30...i suggest you get a new one and start over...and maybe a box and resistor from Halifax

Last edited:
Thankyou .i have begun to unwrap . copper ground goes to plug at cap and rotor for pickup I believe . Copper was the one that heated up and melted wire casing slightly . No damage to wires in harness
Generally, there are 2 wires into that distributor plug/connector, ignition on power and a wire that sends a ground signal to the ECU to send current from the coil to the center distributor cap so the next spark plug can fire. Neither of the wires to the distributor plug/connector should be bare. I would trash the bare copper wire and crimp in a new insulated wire. After smoking, the bare wire is probably damaged.

I would also check for cross continuity/shorts at the ECU and distributor connector, by connecting the leads of the ommeter into different prongs/sockets of the connector.

I have seen bare wires used from the ECU mounting bolts to engine ground, but wires from the magnetic control circuit of the Distributor to ECU should be insulated.

Generally, there are 2 wires into that distributor plug/connector, ignition on power and a wire that sends a ground signal to the ECU to send current from the coil to the center distributor cap so the next spark plug can fire. Neither of the wires to the distributor plug/connector should be bare. I would trash the bare copper wire and crimp in a new insulated wire. After smoking, the bare wire is probably damaged.

I would also check for cross continuity/shorts at the ECU and distributor connector, by connecting the leads of the ommeter into different prongs/sockets of the connector.

I have seen bare wires used from the ECU mounting bolts to engine ground, but wires from the magnetic control circuit of the Distributor to ECU should be insulated.i

I meant the bare copper is in the gang of wires along fire wall. I belive there is 5 in there . It's almost like the electrical jumped looking for ground heating it up. I'll send a pic when I get home . Thanks again

I meant the bare copper is in the gang of wires along fire wall. I belive there is 5 in there . It's almost like the electrical jumped looking for ground heating it up. I'll send a pic when I get home . Thanks again
Car is up and running ! Cleaned up grounds and changed voltage regulator. I believe the bad grounds lead to failure.

Car is up and running ! Cleaned up grounds and changed voltage regulator. I believe the bad grounds lead to failure.
Both the voltage regulator and the ECM can fry themselves if a negative battery cable is removed with the car running. A bad ground to either unit can do the same thing.

Dave

Back