Imagine this was a Dodge instead...

Greg B.

Reaction score
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/pontiac/bonneville/1611967.html?refer=blog

Unlike a lot of folks, I like the styling of the '70 big Pontiacs. This car seems very nice (except that the interior is black, but let's overlook that for now). Rebuilt 455, good paint, everything you would want. The price doesn't seem outrageous.

Imagine this was a '70 Polara convertible instead, with a 440 and comparable equipment and in the same condition. Have we ever seen such a car? I cannot recall one, at least not at that kind of price.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/pontiac/bonneville/1611967.html?refer=blog

Unlike a lot of folks, I like the styling of the '70 big Pontiacs. This car seems very nice (except that the interior is black, but let's overlook that for now). Rebuilt 455, good paint, everything you would want. The price doesn't seem outrageous.

Imagine this was a '70 Polara convertible instead, with a 440 and comparable equipment and in the same condition. Have we ever seen such a car? I cannot recall one, at least not at that kind of price.

Agreed........IMO many of the big cars are simply overlooked at the behest of the pony cars which are routinely pulled from junkyards. Check this out:

http://chambersburg.craigslist.org/cto/4159320533.html what a joke......and to top it off it's a 318/column AT car!

And there is a 70 Polara convertible in comparable cond for a little more than that out there.....

This is the car I was thinking more of 221005 2010 right front.jpg

Since it is more comparable with like options.............. but they wanted 25 grand for it

221005 2010 right front.jpg

There lays the problem. Stop kidding yourself that you're a responsible adult, shoot the whole wad on something like that, possibly getting divorced and knowing you will pay by going to hell, OR, keep the hell you're in now, keep doing what you always have done, and go to heaven...
I don't know why any manufacturer never had the balls to name a moel Satan. That's what cars realy are.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
well' i am kind of partial to 70 pontiacs since i have a 70 catalina drop top. that bonny is a nice car and well optioned. i personally would rather have a big car, more room,better ride and less $$$. i am tired of being cramped into modern plastic infested bubbles. it's nice to be able to drive a car now and then that seats 6 in comfort. the price for the big cars is coming up, but you can still get a lot of car for the money. while 14 thousand is nothing to sneeze at,it isn't much in relative terms. what will it get you at a used car lot? not much. want a muscle car? forget it. if you have the money and want to enjoy actually using your car then something like the pontiac is the way to go.

Forget imagining that as a Dodge, I think it look gorgeous as it is. Mother Mopar aped Pontiac styling in the 60's (especially Dodge).

If money wasn't an issue, I'd drop the coin in a NY minute for that. Where's the "drooling" smiley when you need it?

Please don't take offense but IMHO the 70 Pontiacs or for that matter any GM product full size car can`t hold a candle to the full size 70 Mopars. Dave and I go back a long time regarding this debate. I`ll be the first to admit I`m totally biased.

Here is a nice one with Monaco tail lights. So many nice cars have gone to Europe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heH7hE0K1mo

I remember we discussed this car here a while back. I can understand someone taking a '70 convertible and updating it all to a '71, but if you go to the trouble of swapping the rear bumper, taillights, and dashboard, why not make the front end match?

IMHO these cars are way too rare to mess with and it's a mistake to customize or take short cuts. My opinion seems to be in the minority. At least the cars above have been modified tastefully and not pimped out.

Pontiac seemed to be on the spot with buyers tastes of the day judging by production numbers. For my taste they went overboard with the gradual oversizing of the nose cone which was in general a nice and distinctive Pontiac design trademark. The outgrowth started after 1967 for my taste.

Last edited:
Pontiac seemed to be on the spot with buyers tastes of the day judging by production numbers. For my taste they went overboard with the gradual oversizing of the nose cone which was in general a nice and distinctive Pontiac design trademark. The outgrowth started after 1967 for my taste.

When I was a kid dad bought a new 1967 Pontiac hardtop. I loved the styling of that car and it looked quite advanced for the times. The interior was more conservative, too much for my tastes, but it was a good car overall, white with a red interior. The '68 facelift was not successful IMO and I didn't like the '69 either. The neoclassic look they went to in '70 did not impress me at the time (same reaction to the '70 Coronet front end) but both cars have become favorites of mine now.

There was a 71 Bonnie, yellow with white top over black interior, in a garage a few miles away that I'd see from time to time when the door was open. Finally made aquaintence with the property owner last year and before I could see him again and ask, it was gone within a few weeks. Said that it had been his mom's and although the body was good it had some frame rust so he scrapped it...!@WTF! I decided I really didn't need to know somebody so ignorant.

I have my preferences, but also a respect and admiration for them all, no matter the manufacture. I can really only point to one "ugly" car. the 39 Olds.

I have my preferences, but also a respect and admiration for them all, no matter the manufacture. I can really only point to one "ugly" car. the 39 Olds.

Wouldn't call the Olds ugly for my taste, but Crosley's were pretty ugly when talking about American cars, don't know however if they can be counted as cars. :)

MackMotorsCrosley_1000.jpg

MackMotorsCrosley_1000.jpg

Last edited:
Back