Imperial Rotors

I’m well aware of the facts as you state. I am not interested in a huge $1500 brake kit, which is the only way you offer rotors on your website.

I started looking into this idea this morning. I have a 73 Imperial and the bearing set is a bit larger on the outer bearing then the 72 outer bearing. 72 is .750" 73 is .843"
I looked to see what other cars took the Timkin set3 bearing and it was Buick. The 1973 Buick LeSabre uses bear set5 for inner as does 73 Imperial and bearing set 3 for outer as does 73 Imperial. The rotor heights are the same, bolt pattern is the same. The Buick hub diameter is 78.3 mm. I can't find the hub dia for Imperial.
Only the inner seal is a different number.
So I might have a source for front rotors with some more investigating.
Thanks Imperial-Eagle for getting the brain juices flowing.

I started looking into this idea this morning. I have a 73 Imperial and the bearing set is a bit larger on the outer bearing then the 72 outer bearing. 72 is .750" 73 is .843"
I looked to see what other cars took the Timkin set3 bearing and it was Buick. The 1973 Buick LeSabre uses bear set5 for inner as does 73 Imperial and bearing set 3 for outer as does 73 Imperial. The rotor heights are the same, bolt pattern is the same. The Buick hub diameter is 78.3 mm. I can't find the hub dia for Imperial.
Only the inner seal is a different number.
So I might have a source for front rotors with some more investigating.
Thanks Imperial-Eagle for getting the brain juices flowing.

If I’m not mistaken the rotors are swaged onto the hub with the wheel studs. The hub is to be reused like with a-body Kelsey Hayes brakes.

So the Imperial inner wheel seal is .008 larger in diameter than the Buick. Cool.
Might order one to test and measure. I haven't found the Imperial wheel hub size yet.

If I’m not mistaken the rotors are swaged onto the hub with the wheel studs. The hub is to be reused like with a-body Kelsey Hayes brakes.
The Buick rotors are one piece. Now I am looking at drums. I should be working, but have fallen into a rabbit hole of specs.

Last edited:
For 1969-1972 Fury, the disk & hub are two piece.
Every 1973 I have seen is one piece. May not be true for Imperial.
1971 Fury, 2-piece
PXL_20230319_185958725.MP.jpg

My 73 is a two piece rotor, but I will be happy to use a one piece rotor.
Imperial Eagle. The 73 Buick rotor will not fit your 72, unless you find an adaptor sleeve for bearing.
Dr Diff sells a sleeve for E and B bodies. He might be of help with adapting a larger bearing.
Timken has a search for products by specs.

My 73 is a two piece rotor, but I will be happy to use a one piece rotor.
Imperial Eagle. The 73 Buick rotor will not fit your 72, unless you find an adaptor sleeve for bearing.
Dr Diff sells a sleeve for E and B bodies. He might be of help with adapting a larger bearing.
Timken has a search for products by specs.
I appreciate your research on this. I knew there had to be a catch to this. It was too good to be true. If my rotors don’t clean up with a cut then I will worry about this.

I saw the newer replies to your brake rotor question. Not sure if this helps, but I have a link to Murray Park below. I have not called to verify if he has the rotors in stock but if you cannot find another solution may be an option. Expensive ..... yes, but if it is a factory part may save some headache. As stated in other replies the rotor is definitely a two piece unit.
Link: Murray B. Park - Used and NOS Parts for Chrysler, Imperial, Dodge, Desoto, and Plymouth

I saw the newer replies to your brake rotor question. Not sure if this helps, but I have a link to Murray Park below. I have not called to verify if he has the rotors in stock but if you cannot find another solution may be an option. Expensive ..... yes, but if it is a factory part may save some headache. As stated in other replies the rotor is definitely a two piece unit.
Link: Murray B. Park - Used and NOS Parts for Chrysler, Imperial, Dodge, Desoto, and Plymouth
I hear ya on our original options. If I find that the Buick rotor installs correctly and safely I will be happy. I also would prefer a unicast rotor over two piece rotor.

Little update guys, about this Buick rotors question, I think this could work. This is test with Raybestos 5006R rotors. I have -72 spindles and K-H brakes from Murray Park, right side rotor is ok but left is done, inner surface is badly damaged. So, I ordered parts and let the show begin...
First measuring says only real concern is inner bearing, it's 5 millimetres outer than original. Now we need washer under new bearing, spindle have guide surface for bearing and fortunately there's room for washer and bearing. Seal will contact the washer so I thought I should glued the washer in place. 3M DP410 do the job, after gluing mild heating in 45-50 Celsius in one hour make glue much stronger than letting set in room temperature. Collar in dust shield must grind it down 2mm, other wise it will contact the rotor. I made new collar because it needs to be little bigger in diameter to fit with new rotor. Mopar Seal is little bigger than GM but there's no problem to get it into place. Rotor outer part what goes through the wheel is little smaller but there's paint anyway so no problem. I sandblasted rotors (not contact surface) and sprayed with zinc paint, paint manufacturer says paint will handle 500 Celsius!!... We will see that..
After installation ,I followed FSM instructions, I measured the surface run out and it's just under factory tolerance, 0.06 mm and 0.07mm, jeah, Chinese...
If question, I tried to help .
have a nice weekend,
m
Mika

20231118_150804.jpg

20231110_114908.jpg

20231105_185048.jpg

20231117_153609.jpg

20231117_153413.jpg

20231117_200425.jpg

20231118_130309.jpg

20231118_150541.jpg

20231118_150603.jpg

OldWarhorse...great craftsmanship and engineering!!!
Please torque the spindle nut using a beam style inch pounds torque wrench to 125 inch lbs. This is not an arbitrary number or setting but one learned from years of going way faster and pushing cars harder than most. As for brake pads please use a modern material not the old school old technology that does not work well under duress.

Little update guys, about this Buick rotors question, I think this could work. This is test with Raybestos 5006R rotors. I have -72 spindles and K-H brakes from Murray Park, right side rotor is ok but left is done, inner surface is badly damaged. So, I ordered parts and let the show begin...
First measuring says only real concern is inner bearing, it's 5 millimetres outer than original. Now we need washer under new bearing, spindle have guide surface for bearing and fortunately there's room for washer and bearing. Seal will contact the washer so I thought I should glued the washer in place. 3M DP410 do the job, after gluing mild heating in 45-50 Celsius in one hour make glue much stronger than letting set in room temperature. Collar in dust shield must grind it down 2mm, other wise it will contact the rotor. I made new collar because it needs to be little bigger in diameter to fit with new rotor. Mopar Seal is little bigger than GM but there's no problem to get it into place. Rotor outer part what goes through the wheel is little smaller but there's paint anyway so no problem. I sandblasted rotors (not contact surface) and sprayed with zinc paint, paint manufacturer says paint will handle 500 Celsius!!... We will see that..
After installation ,I followed FSM instructions, I measured the surface run out and it's just under factory tolerance, 0.06 mm and 0.07mm, jeah, Chinese...
If question, I tried to help .
have a nice weekend,
m
Mika

View attachment 629324

View attachment 629325

View attachment 629326

View attachment 629327

View attachment 629328

View attachment 629329

View attachment 629330

View attachment 629331

View attachment 629332
Thanks. What inner bearing number did you use? The 72 spindles are smaller than the 73. I hope to get a couple of cars out of here and try this on my 73 Imperial.

Thanks. What inner bearing number did you use? The 72 spindles are smaller than the 73. I hope to get a couple of cars out of here and try this on my 73 Imperial.
That makes no sense. Why would Chrysler waste time and money on making the 72 and 73 different?

If you check it out the both use Timken SET5 and SET3 bearings.

These are bearings what I used, like The_ Eagles_Nest said I think also that -72/-73 bearings are same, at least Rockauto give same numbers for both years.

IMG20231125181123.jpg

Back