Installation of Bluetooth - AM Radio.

Mudeblue

Reaction score
I want to keep my stock radio in my car but would like to have it Bluetooth capable. Prior to restoration, I had installed an AM/FM digital radio and paired it with an amplifier and 12 disc CD player (1990's technology). I would now like to reinstall my stock radio, leave the CD player out, maybe use an amp. and use Bluetooth from my phone; simple, or so I thought, question. Can I get get a Bluetooth receiver like the NVX VUBT2 Universal Bluetooth as a plug and play or do I need to install additional equipment to achieve my purpose which might included a hidden stand alone system. Looked around the internet for answers but it makes my head hurt. I am old and like the KISS approach. Thanks.

I want to keep my stock radio in my car but would like to have it Bluetooth capable. Prior to restoration, I had installed an AM/FM digital radio and paired it with an amplifier and 12 disc CD player (1990's technology). I would now like to reinstall my stock radio, leave the CD player out, maybe use an amp. and use Bluetooth from my phone; simple, or so I thought, question. Can I get get a Bluetooth receiver like the NVX VUBT2 Universal Bluetooth as a plug and play or do I need to install additional equipment to achieve my purpose which might included a hidden stand alone system. Looked around the internet for answers but it makes my head hurt. I am old and like the KISS approach. Thanks.
Contact Tayman Electrical. Gary did a stock AM/FM radio for Shamu, my 69 Fury III vert. Not cheap, but it’s well done.

Tayman Electrical stereo solutions for collector cars

I had a stock am radio converted to digital am/fm with an mp3 jack for my ‘67 Imp. No Bluetooth though I guess I wasn’t thinking about it however many years ago I had it done. The radio looks stock and even the signal seeking floor push button operates as it should.

When I was looking to convert mine, I struggled to find any DIY kits to modernize the internals and keep the stock look and controls. I ended up sending to Tayman for the Aurora conversion. I did not get the Pre-amp outputs, but I did get AM/FM, Bluetooth, hands free calling(mic peaks out under my visor but can tuck out of the way for shows) and USB. I can still use the dial and pre-sets for radio stations, and the Bluetooth works great. The Bluetooth integration is better than in my 2014 GMC.
I can be listening to a radio station and use my navigation on my iPhone. The navigation will override the radio when directions are given. Many modern cars suck at that.
I would do it again in a minute.

I did the pre-amp outputs on mine. My Chrysler has a powered sub-woofer under the rear seat and a 4 channel amp driving the speakers. My Barracuda doesn't have an amp and the sound is just about as good, although I keep thinking of a small sub-woofer under the seat.

I did the pre-amp outputs on mine. My Chrysler has a powered sub-woofer under the rear seat and a 4 channel amp driving the speakers. My Barracuda doesn't have an amp and the sound is just about as good, although I keep thinking of a small sub-woofer under the seat.
I have a speaker under each of the buckets seats in my GTO! Don't like! It is like putting a speaker in the closet and then closing the door and expect great sound!

I have a speaker under each of the buckets seats in my GTO! Don't like! It is like putting a speaker in the closet and then closing the door and expect great sound!
The sub-woofer is the only "speaker" under the seat. Bass, being non-directional and low frequency, really doesn't suffer from being under a seat... It's like the guys that put their sub-woofers in the trunk. It just adds a little depth to the music.

The sub-woofer is the only "speaker" under the seat. Bass, being non-directional and low frequency, really doesn't suffer from being under a seat... It's like the guys that put their sub-woofers in the trunk. It just adds a little depth to the music.
The guy that puts the sub-woofer in the trunk ends up in my car! Like the bumper sticker says "If I Wanted To Listen To Your Music I Would Be In Your Car." LOL!

I am hoping I found the solution while retaining my stock AM radio. It requires a two unit assembly of which the parts were hard to find; sold out but sometimes it’s the hunt and they are on their way.

I plan to install a RediRad AM Adapter into the stock radio via the antenna lead which is suppose to convert the iPhone, MP3 player, etc. to an AM signal. Ahead of the RediRad AM Adapter, I have purchased a unit identified as NVX VUBT2 which plugs into the RediRad. This units function is to recieve the signal from the iPhone, etc. and transfer it to to the RediRad which then, again transfers it to the radio. With the signal coming in originally as stereo, I may have to take the signal from stereo to mono but if it is necessary, the thought is to use the RCA plug going from 1 to 2 and reverse it and go from 2 to 1.

The part that still dad me confused is how to have a front and rear speaker off the radio when it only has one speaker wire coming out of the radio; worse case, both front and rear wired together with no front and rear option.

3BCA7207-7B28-4FEF-A6C9-33743889CF4D.png

09F752B9-7738-416E-8597-1751D177FE80.png

Back