Installing aftermarket CD player, need some help

jg09

Reaction score
I found an AM/FM/CD player in my shop and figured it should go into my New Yorker for now until I figured out a better option. At some point, someone spliced in some 90's Chrysler radio plugs to run an AM/FM/Cassette. This has effectively turned the wiring in my dash into a complete mess, especially since I don't think things were wired up even remotely correctly. Can someone tell me how they hooked up an aftermarket radio into their formal? If anyone has pictures of the wiring harness setup, that'd be even better. I can typically install an aftermarket stereo in 20 minutes or less but this has me stumped.

I've found that I can get sound out of the speakers but I turn the volume up past a certain point and speakers cut out. Is this some sort of fail safe mode that the stereo is going into?

Best thing might be to start with the Factory Service Manual and identify the wires that the plugs have been spliced to. From there, you may have to trace the wiring to the speakers, power etc. to be sure that hasn't been screwed with, but your first place to look is the FSM.

I'd just run all new wires. Quick and easier than dicking around with a rats nest.

Agreed with Stormer. Factory radios had the speakers ground out to the car body. Modern radios run a positive and negative feed individually to each speaker.

I think that'll probably be the best bet, too. I pulled the dash apart a little bit and it looks like it'll be really simple to demo out the old wiring and install a completely fresh system.

I just replaced everything. Head unit, all 4 speakers, Chrysler factory power and all the wiring.

DSC02243.jpgDSC02244.jpgDSC02247.jpgDSC02249.jpgDSC02250.jpgDSC02251.jpg

DSC02243.jpg

DSC02244.jpg

DSC02247.jpg

DSC02249.jpg

DSC02250.jpg

DSC02251.jpg

Back