Intake Hood Clearance

MOPARFURYOUS

Reaction score
Without getting into a big debate on my build I'm looking at putting a Victor intake on my '69 383 Sport Fury It's going to be a FAST system. I'm wondering about hood clearance with a 3 in. aftermarket Billet filter. My other option is a Team G or Torker. Mopar builder prefers the Victor for flow

Last edited:
take some tin foil. roll it loosely into the shape of a ball. place it on top of the existing breather. close the hood. open the hood and measure the height .this is how much you have to play with. figure out how much higher the stuff you are buying compared to stock and there you have it.

take some tin foil. roll it loosely into the shape of a ball. place it on top of the existing breather. close the hood. open the hood and measure the height .this is how much you have to play with. figure out how much higher the stuff you are buying compared to stock and there you have it.
See my one problem is my builder is going to port match everything and so Ideally would like to do that not in the car. Engine is on stand now

Last edited:
See my one problem is my builder is going to port match everything and so Ideally would like to do that not in the car.
we are talking hood clearance right? with your newer intake. if port matching would make that much of a difference in height than I have 6 inches instead of 6.000001

images

He's already got the engine out, hard to check original fitment with your aluminum foil trick.

thanks Newport. all i did was give some advice and i get this. wow.:wtf:
thanks Newport. here I thought I was helping this guy and now I am being critiqued. did I spell that right?

Your welcome. Don,t take it so hard, it's all in fun. That,s what we are all here for anyway isn't it. Building cars and having some fun.

So what is the solution? I would think he could put the hood on and take a measurement from the engine mount bolt holes, to the hood re-enforcement lowest point,then take a measurement from the engine mount bolt holes on the engine to the top of the air cleaner, and see where he's at. Tin foil was good idea though.

Last edited:
So what is the solution? I would think he could put the hood on and take a measurement from the engine mount bolt holes, to the hood re-enforcement lowest point,then take a measurement from the engine mount bolt holes on the engine to the top of the air cleaner, and see where he's at. Tin foil was good idea though.
yup that would work since the motor is not in the car.

I know everyone is trying to help me on this. I really was just hoping someone had the Victor already installed on their C Body. Like I was saying the issue is even If I measure from mounts and take an educated guess it could still be a mess. Unknowns with exact thickness of FAST systems gasket or spacer if needed. I'm using Indy heads and there's nothing like having port matching for a little more piece of mind with fit and finish down the road. The Fast systems aren't just bolt and go. There's still some tweaking of many different parts and systems to make it perfect.

Last edited:
I didn't want to start a big deal about could of should of debate is all. I'm using a very reputable Mopar builder in my area.

I didn't want to start a big deal about could of should of debate is all. I'm using a very reputable Mopar builder in my area.
shouldn't you be able to get the height measurements from the different intakes you are looking at and compare them to stock and then do as Newport says.

if its more than a cuople inches taller than stock it wont fit.

Looked a little and 67 Coronet 4 barrel stock intake is 2.8 in. and Victor is the 6 in. like someone posted but deleted their post earlier. It would be 4 in. taller. But I think my Billit air cleaner is thinner at 3 in. than factory.So what kind of clearance do some of you have and aftermarket intakes using?

Back