Interior paint colors

66furys

Reaction score
I have done just a few searches on this, found the 70 hamtramck pages, but need to find what paint code may have been used on my red interior 66 fury. Have not found a build sheet. Anyone have suggestion on red paint code used on things like the console in 66?? thanks

Might try the OEM Paint Color pages at www.TCPGlobal.com . In addition to the paint chip samples, if there are two pages of paint chips, then on the 2nd page should be the colors and codes for interiors and possibly the trunk floor and such. Usually, the interior colors could match the outside color for "color", but have a slightly more satiny appearance rather than a hard shine?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Great Reference Site
1966 Color Codes - Plymouth Paint Cross-Reference
chrysler_1966__dupont_i_06.jpg

Alan

Where in the world do you find this stuff?? I used to have to research on three networks all kinds of info on russian and chinese tanks....but I think that dealing with old cars is much more difficult. thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Where did we find those things? Many times, it started with a Google search of the paint suppliers' websites. As some of those companies transferred their automotive "coatings" divisions to others, where they ended up was under other USA websites. TCP Global is where the Chrysler (and other OEM's) paint chip books ended up. You can buy directly from them, if desired, or from other vendors which might be closer to you. Your decision. I believe that you can buy the complete paint system from TCP if desired?

By observation, some local/regional paint suppliers can do an electronic color match and mix paint for you. Only thing is that using the original formulas can be problematic as with each new version of OEM paint systems, new mixing and tinting components come online as the prior ones are phased out. Plus the local paint suppliers will mainly supply new car dealers' body shop operations and be more oriented toward that market. Which is where TCP Global and others come into play.

As to some Mopar-specific vendors, they are usually in the "restoration parts" areas of the car hobby. Probably starting out in "hot rod" parts and then expanding into the growing restoration parts end of things. "Restoration" which can include paints and such, expanding their respective businesses into those areas, too.

Also, I might advise that it should NOT be necessary to go to a website or website address, which is located in Russia, Asia, or even Europe in order to get information on USA-produced vehicles. I have observed that some European websites have a good deal of USA vehicle information on them, but when they start mentioning "road performance" of the420.00/year vehicles, top speed and acceleration for example, ALL or the vast majority of that information was NOT obtained from actual road tests, which makes it "just numbers". You can find actual road tests archived at the Automotive History Preservation Society website, for example. A small membership fee might be needed to access some of this information (like #$20.00/yr) in order to get to that particular information. As more items are scanned-in, the archives grow. Yes, there are many road tests of Chrysler products in there, back into the later 1950s, too.

Also, look at the many sales brochures on those websites, too, but also realize that if those brochures were for the export market, they are NOT the same as USA or even Canadian-market vehicle brochures! Use them for research to see what Chrysler Corp was selling in other parts of the world and little more, from what I have seen. In many cases they appear to be the same, especially if one does not know what the original brochures had in them, BUT they are not identical to what was found in USA or Canadian Chrysler dealerships' showrooms when the cars were new. BTAIM

There are also many Chrysler Corp vehicle club websites which have "Useful Links" pages on them. To companies and individual vendors. In some cases, the vendors have changed hands and their listings have not been updated. Still, useful as those earlier vendor names can be used for Google searches. Walter P. Chrysler (national) club and the Chrysler 300 Club (national) club websites are two that come to mind.

ALSO, picking up a copy of "Mopar Action" magazine, or similar, usually have most of the main Mopar vendors' print ads in them. Plus their websites noted in the ads.

AND . . . if you might desire to spend days, yes DAYS in the number of hours, looking at vintage car ads, YouTUBE can provide them from several producers. It's easy to get lost in those things, too, with lots of pleasant memories of times past . . . from my own experiences. Plus "My Classic Car TV" and others like that, too. Personally, I would much rather watch those commercials and videos rather than what's on broadcast and "cable" tv these days as they make me smile! But also wonder how we went from the 1960s and 1970s (where the models in the cars were all smiling) to what we now seem to have in the USA for vehicle commercials.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

P

where

Might try the OEM Paint Color pages at www.TCPGlobal.com . In addition to the paint chip samples, if there are two pages of paint chips, then on the 2nd page should be the colors and codes for interiors and possibly the trunk floor and such. Usually, the interior colors could match the outside color for "color", but have a slightly more satiny appearance rather than a hard shine?

Enjoy!
CBODY67
This website seems to be no longer in service . . .

I have done just a few searches on this, found the 70 hamtramck pages, but need to find what paint code may have been used on my red interior 66 fury. Have not found a build sheet. Anyone have suggestion on red paint code used on things like the console in 66?? thanks
I have the exact same question for my 66 Newport with the L7 red interior. The painted things seem to be a match with "Red Metallic" but I don't know for sure, it might be "Metallic Maroon" . . . and don't want to spend $35 on a can of spray paint that doesn't match.

This may be in the FSM. The downloadable version seems to be missing a bunch of pages, so I don't know if a real '66 Plymouth FSM has this info. If you download a '66 Dodge version or a '65 Plymouth or even the '65 Chrysler version, you'll find the codes. MyMopar

Here's a screen shot of a portion of the '66 Dodge for example. This is just part of one page and you can download and peruse the FSMs that I suggested.

But if you have a good copy, like an original paper version, look in the body and frame section. I can't tell you if it's there, but based on other FSM, it should be. If not, I'll bet the '66 Dodge version will get you pretty close.

FSM.jpg

Sometimes, you have to look a model year forward or backward, which used the same colors, to get the codes. My '66 Chrysler paper manual did not have the interior codes in it (for our '66 Newport Town Sedan), but the '70 Dodge paper Full-Size FSM had the codes for my '70 Monaco Brougham in it. So sometimes, you have to look in the similar cars of the different Chrysler divisions to find some things.

CBODY67

So, for you smart guys, I do not see a link between the car exterior and interior color, and assume it is found on the build sheet..,,question? For my RoadKill project, I have tried a couple rattle can colors on my console, as I replace the carpet on the sides, and get it cleaned up. But, had to have something close, so I finally got the rustoleum claret wine color in the satin.....and it looks better and closer than the other two reds I have tried. I did go to an auto supply that makes up the seat dye that matches the new vinyl on my lower driver that needed to be replaced....and the seat back is now pretty close in color.

The "acceptable" exterior/interior color combinations of the various cars are in the Color and Trim vehicle order guides in www.hamtramck-historical.com website. It's all laid out what exterior colors can go with what interior colors. It all makes sense. As in no green cars with red interiors, unless that might be a corporate fleet order where many are built that way. Gen Mtrs is similar.

The OTHER thing to remember is that ALL paint colors "fade" with UV light exposure, which starts as soon as the paint initially cures. DuPont used to have a caution message about this on their "factory pack" paint can labels. In that consideration, getting some code-made paint will always result in a slightly darker color than what is on or in the car. Which means getting a spectrometer match (modern equivalent of what we used to term "hand match") in prior times.

With respect to metallic colors, as mentioned in many Chrysler Corp FSMs, a metallic color can be an exact match for the color, but the spray gun pressure can affect how the metallic flakes orient themselves in the color, which can make the end-result color look lighter or darker. In modern times, many shops have this pressure relationship adjusted so they can match metallics spot-on, by observation.

Regards,
CBODY67

Thanks, I had tried Hamtramck but only found the 70 site....will look again. Also, since you seem to know the paint, what does the poly refer to in many of the colors.

Back