Introduction of 66 300 convert TWINS

IMG_0708.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

Both cars are red. Same color according to the fender tag. I have found a 44,000 original parts at in a basement under a commercial building in Allentown. Dragged it home.
Got it running same day with a bottle of fuel and quick oil change. Sounds great. I put it up on my lift today and the frame rotted out down there. Unbelievable. Guess I should not feel bad about stripping this car for parts now. Or should I. It's killing me only 2500 of these made in 66

I just got back from work. Put up pics of my 66 300 that I will restore. 'More info there. Great to meet u! I have read many of your threads ur a ton of knowledge! Very cool!

I'll post pics as as I go restoring this Mopar! I'm a hobby mechanic (was certified as a kid many yrs ago) and my bodywork and paint is about 8-9 outta 10. Been at it for fun about 20 yrs. The main car to restore needs a passenger 1/4 panel as someone put bondo over rust. Uhhg. It's bad now and ran into the trunk. I'm cutting it all out. Complete floor instead of patches. Same as trunk with extensions. Found the steel online no problem but no 1/4 panels with little or no rust.
What does everyone think about stripping this other 66 300 convertible for parts? It's killing me but the frame is just gone in so many spots. I'll post pics soon.

It's killing me to think about so I'm going to hold my tongue until we see pics of both cars, top and bottom, inside and out.

Find another stub frame, they are out there. I just sold a solid one for $100. So, where about in South Jersey?

I'm in Clementon. Today we put it on the lift. The second car is toast. Very sad. I will put some pics up. Someone sheet metaled with robots over severe rust then left it outside for 12 years before I found it inside. Torque boxes gone, subframe gone, all floors, trunk, 1/4 ,s . 44k original car one owner. 383 is like new with its original paint. Runs great. Trans looks good, but who knows after sitting a long time. I have not checked what rear is in it yet. I guess the good news is I will have tons of parts when I'm done.

These are the parts car pics. Same as mine but long gone. Sadly! Everything is gone as I explained. I felt bad starting to take it apart but every bolt broke and followed by a rust shower. Amazing amount of rust on the floor. Some parts are amazingly nice however with only 44 k miles on the car. I hope you feel at least satisfied DETMATT that I had no alternative here.

Yep Toast....

We have to have parts car too. Looking forward to your restoration. Love my '66 convertible.

Starting the tear down of the parts car. This is definitely 44 k original miles car as right down to the hose clamps it's all original. Although this frame was left for dead the parts are sweet. Even the chrome top notch for 50 yrs old.

Neither of these guys are me they are my buddies helping me out. Case anyone's wondering. I'll be sure to get in a pic as this is still my intro thread. Hood off, 1 nice fender off, other toast. , hood off ( has some rust) outside is perfect. Pulled grille and lights all as one, it's nice. Rad support off. Done day 1

Day 2
Doors off as a whole. Absolutely perfect. No rust , no dings, even door panels beautiful. My restore car has nice doors, but wow impressed with these.
Perfect running 66 383 came out nice today. Trans out today as well. excellent condition down to tail seal. Dry and full of pink fluid. No wires cut, only cotter pins pulled. Removing wiring harness as a whole. Trans out as a whole today. Excellent condition down to the tail seal. Dry and beautiful pink fluid. Need the trans for the restore car. Hope this 44 k trans runs as good as it looks.

Today I looked at the rear. It appears to be possi and has the bump stop. I forget how to measure the rear gears.
Rotation of the wheel to rotation of the yoke? What is the stock rear in these cars? Are they possi? All the same rear or could you order variations. 66 Chrysler 300 convertible with 383. Can anyone help me to identify what this rear is? I'd appreciate your expertise here. I need to decide which one will go back in the final restored car. Obviously both are 66 rears as the cars are identical. so I figure I can have my pick. Thanks guys!

spin a wheel and compare driveshaft rotations...... pure number crunching. spin one wheel, if the other spins the same direction is a suregrip, if opposite direction is not

Back