Introduction of New Yorker St. Regis 78'

I don´t remember the brand, but one makes adapters to get aftermarket steering wheels to fit to a tilt/tele column.

I've searched the world....there isn't a kit for a T&T conversion.

However, I did machine/mod a leather wrapped steering wheel from a 77 Daytona that worked wel I'm with my 78 T&T.

Agreed that the wood wheel looks good in the brown interior, the part I can't get over is the spokes and hub. Looks like a 68 MG.

Nardi is world renowned.The wheel itself matches the dash trim very well.You really only need the modify,somehow,the center and black spokes.You need a chrysler motif of some kind in the center,maybe glue vinyl onto the black areas?But it,s not a deal killer because the circumference of the wheel is good.I,ve seen much worse,small diameter wheels and so forth.The wood on the wheel does look great.My dads Jag E-Type had wood.And leather.And shitty Lucas switches.heh.B.B

A few things to do for 2019.
-New drive cables for sunroof
-Changing new gear kit to passenger side window
-Autotemp II, I think it`s just blower motor
-Readin lights in the C-pilars dosen`t work
-Cleaning up the dashboard
-Painting fuel tank. What is the right colour, silver or black?
Tank was galvanized... everything else was overspray...
Hello,
I took picture of my NYB and tank looks to be silver on top as the bottom has rust proof coating that is black.
also included picture of my dash ;)
Hope this helps.
Regards...

View attachment 235574

View attachment 235575
I like your wheel a bunch, but I hope to never see another done. Some things I can only accept once.

Hell no. Every and any aftermarket steering wheel looks like **** in Formals.
Back to our regularly scheduled broadcast... :thankyou:

Summer 2019 is coming and snow melts. What you can find under the snow?
Here she is, my New Yor...oh ****...this is my old Chevy Van. Where is my New Yorker? I swear that I left her here.

01B97CD1-36EB-453A-968D-AAD45E7CF50B.jpeg

In fact, she has been in a warm garage whole winter.
Most of the work has already been done, I have bought a lot of parts from Rockauto... :lol:

These have been done:
The ignition lock and light switch have been replaced.

9050D22B-A68E-4B44-BA64-7705D96EBB50.jpeg

07EF74A5-3DEC-4413-B22D-10DAC406F49C.jpeg

6A8E5C42-2A98-4F49-9A91-6DA5C7648BBD.jpeg

I changed a new gear kit to passenger side window.

23C6DEE8-D533-49D7-B4E1-5AA8ACA952D6.jpeg

A09660E8-C533-44A5-8BEC-6C61560594F3.jpeg

Autotemp II will be done next.

Last edited:
Summer 2019 is coming and snow melts. What you can find under the snow?
Here she is, my New Yor...oh ****...this is my old Chevy Van. Where is my New Yorker? I swear that I left her here.

View attachment 265101

In fact, she has been in a warm garage whole winter.
Most of the work has already been done, I have bought a lot of parts from Rockauto... :lol:

These have been done:
The ignition lock and light switch have been replaced.

View attachment 265133

View attachment 265122

View attachment 265121

I changed a new gear kit to passenger side window.

View attachment 265119

View attachment 265118

Autotemp II will be done next.

Nice work!

:thumbsup:

fender tag NY.JPG
The E at the end of the second line from the bottom, indicates an EXPORT Special Order Number. I've seen a couple of other '78 fender tags that had the E at the start, without the stand-alone U, C, or I for the Specifications (USA, CDN, or International), and those were both Export cars with metric speedometers, like your car.

Just a quick update today

Her inspection/MOT was in last Thursday and as we were driving to the inspection station, she started to run pretty bad and the performance wasn’t good as normally. She started to run better as we were closing the inspection station, so we decided to go inspect her as planned.

Everything was fine in the inspection, brakes, suspension and lights but the emissions weren’t. The limit of Co-emissions is 3.50 and her Co-emissions on the test were 5.45 and nowdays that kind of numbers will cause an instant driving ban. Luckily the inspector was understanding and he gave us a two day permission to drive her home and to a repair shop in Friday.

We changed plug wires in Thursday evening and in friday we took her to the repair shop. The repair shop is specialized in US-made cars and the mechanic made some adjustments to the carburetor. He lowered the Co-emissions to 3.18 and now we are free to drive her for another two years.

In Finland emissions are tested in every car that is newer than 1978.

Cruising season 2019 is almost over, but let's go back to last winter/spring. In spring we focused on interior and the engine bay.

The earlier problem with the old ignition lock and blue wire caused a leak from the battery, so we cleaned, sandblasted and painted the area around the battery.

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1064.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG

I tried to clean old reservoirs, but the result wasn't good, so i decided to try to paint them. Priming and painting, good enough for me. If someone has new ones, you can offer.

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

The alternator got new bearings, brushes and paint.

IMG_9370.JPG

IMG_9375.JPG

Valve cover gaskets leaked a little bit and in addition of replacing the seals, we also painted the valve covers. The situation escalated and we also painted a/c compressor, water pump, inner fenders, exhaust- and intake manifolds etc. We also sorted out the wiring harness and wrapped the wirings with a new wiring tape.

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

Before:

IMG_1671.jpg

After:

IMG_1660.jpg

We ordered some OEM decals from Ebay and added them.
T&M

Last edited:
Interior
Despite the use of conditioner the seats looked surprisingly faded and we decided to try out dyeing. Results were surprising and the colour has stayed on the seats.

IMG_E0438.JPG

IMG_1666.jpg

This have been a long project for us, but after reading Javier's @73 T&C thread we realized that we could use a silver marker pen. Thanks for the tip!

IMG_1669.PNG

IMG_1668.PNG

After all this it was May and almost everything from the original to-do list was undone, so in this garage season we're going to continue on where we left off in the spring.

Thanks for your interest and comments.
You had many question.
Let's start with the main things.

Here is picture of fender tag:

View attachment 144703

And here is production sticker, is that lower sign of emission decal or where it could be?
I have been looking for Build sheet, I have been looking for it under rear seat.

View attachment 144704

As @Ross Wooldridge bet, it look like this:

View attachment 144706

Unfortunately, I have to disappoint @1978 NYB , the lean burn system is converted

View attachment 144709

Windshield wipers work OK, and we have delay switch, I think it is optional in this year? (Was it available only 1978?)
But it Never rains in Southern Cal....Helsinki or we don't cruise:steering: if it rains.

Interesting thead.

Although the odometer is showing, it is not clear what the first digit is. So how many miles or kilometers are on your car?

Without the rear fender skirts, the car just doesn't look like a 1978 Chrysler New Yorker - it is the first time I can recall saying I think I would like it better with the fender skirts. Without the skirts the car looks too sporty for a formal. :wideyed:

Very nice car though and a lot of tedious work has been performed nicely.

i think your car looks great without the skirts.
some colour combos dont work without em but yours definitely does !
as far as formals not being sporty, well road wheels are pretty sporty and its a desired option

i think your car looks great without the skirts.
some colour combos dont work without em but yours definitely does !
as far as formals not being sporty, well road wheels are pretty sporty and its a desired option

My phrase was it "looks too sporty". Yes, road wheels add some sport, but these are supposed to be "formals" with all the elegance and squared-off looks that causes folks to lust over them in the first place.

Back