is 800+ hp street-able? Turbo 440?

I would say that makes no sense but the car did what it did. Points to something else as the bottleneck

Gravity is my bottleneck now.

Last edited:
After doing some extensive research I pulled the trigger on just about everything I will need to build up a new transmission except a torque convertor. I bought a used mid 70's 727 for $250. I spent about $1400 on everything else I thought I would need. New bands, clutches, steels, bolt in sprag, shift kit, new steel planets, 48re parts to hopefully stuff 6 clutch plates in the forward clutch, and more. Some parts are on back order so I will get those in mid june.

Moving onto the rear axle, I want to update the suspension. I am thinking fabricating two links that follow the same sweep as the stock leaf springs will be the simplest solution. I am not crazy about the idea of a slapper bar system because I think it puts a lot of stress on the springs still and mounts as-well. This will allow me to honestly just keep the stock style suspension and save myself a whole bunch of work. I'm really don't want to have to fabricate a triangulated 4 link or a parallel 4 link w/ panhard for this car. Then I would have to figure out how to make a coil-over work in the car which would be way to much work for this car.

I also need to break out the tape-measure and figure out what the biggest tire i can stuff under the car with some wheel with more backspacing. I really don't feel like modifying the wheel tubs. It might be something I put on my to-do list in a few years.

All for now.

Ditto, run the cal tracs. i love mine.

I've been thinking a lot about this. I am going to pull some inspiration from my 4x4 back-group and do a traditional style torque arm with a shackle to stop the axle wrap. My biggest concern is the torque that will be on the spring mounts especially when i go to a bigger tire. And I don't want all that force going to a single mounting point. If for what ever reason a spring mount fails under extreme loads I think there is a strong potential to rip the axle out from under the car.

I am going to use some 1-1/4" .88" wall DOM with 3/4" heim joins to make my torque arms. It's not as heavy as the 1-1/4" Heims and 2" 1/4" wall DOM I use in my 4x4 but these just have to stop directional loads since the springs are locating the axle. The shackle will allow the torque arm to adjust with the arc of leaf springs so I can run the torque arm mounting location in front of the spring mounts.

Yes, it's possible. I make alot more than 800 HP on motor alone in my 70 Challenger street car with a 528" Hemi and on top of that I have two additional fogger kits up to 500 HP each and still run a torque flight. I drive it back and forth to work, to the stores, cruise nights and car shows with no issues. Here are some pictures from many different cruise nights.

20221001_151456.jpg

20221001_130946.jpg

123_1 (1)1.jpeg

20211020_180754.jpg

IMG_8680.jpg

20210915_170941.jpg

20210915_171016.jpg

20221001_130926.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

Last edited:
I've been thinking a lot about this. I am going to pull some inspiration from my 4x4 back-group and do a traditional style torque arm with a shackle to stop the axle wrap. My biggest concern is the torque that will be on the spring mounts especially when i go to a bigger tire. And I don't want all that force going to a single mounting point. If for what ever reason a spring mount fails under extreme loads I think there is a strong potential to rip the axle out from under the car.

I am going to use some 1-1/4" .88" wall DOM with 3/4" heim joins to make my torque arms. It's not as heavy as the 1-1/4" Heims and 2" 1/4" wall DOM I use in my 4x4 but these just have to stop directional loads since the springs are locating the axle. The shackle will allow the torque arm to adjust with the arc of leaf springs so I can run the torque arm mounting location in front of the spring mounts.
That's a good plan and all, I use Assassin bar on Calvert split leaf monos. For the amount of time it will take you to do all that shopping, the $400 bars look pretty good. The Smith Assassins pivot up into the spring eye, instead of the Calvert's contact area behind the eye, which is a better design. My heap probably has north of 700 hp, and with a stick shift there are some loads being dispersed under the car. Think 4000lbs with 4500 rpm clutch drops on slicks.
I think with your plan, youre are almost getting into 4 link territory, which isn't a bad thing, maybe overkill, but hey, it won't ever break (maybe) =-)

Mancini Racing Spring Hanger Set
I use these hangers and plates for a B body, work perfect, haven't moved in 5 years of racing/beating/jumping creeks in the South outrunning Rosco.

Back