Is Northern Illinois Where All The C Bodies Are?

King Hooter

Reaction score
I'm typing this with all do respect to the members in and around Rockford IL.
While searching FB for a car in my price range I noticed that there are quite a few in this particular region. There where two "located" in Rockford alone. This restores some faith that they're out there still.
So that got me thinking. What other areas have a seemingly abundant supply of our beloved cars.
fb 74 newpt.jpg
fb 77 rb.jpg

There is a brown 77 Plymouth Gran fury too, I've had my eye on it for awhile. It's on FB

While searching FB for a car in my price range I noticed that there are quite a few in this particular region. There where two "located" in Rockford alone. This restores some faith that they're out there still.
So that got me thinking. What other areas have a seemingly abundant supply of our beloved cars.
View attachment 351172 View attachment 351173

Lots of C-Bodies were sold in the Mid-West. Folks in the central US were slow to move away from large American cars, at least at first. Trouble is, not many survive there in reasonably rust free condition and those cars often command high prices because road salt ate up most of the ones that were driven any amount. Less big cars were sold on the West Coast because the West Coast was the first to switch to smaller, mostly Japanese imports. The survival rate for western cars is a lot higher though because roads are generally not salted out west. There are still a lot of rust free C-Bodies sitting in people's garages, $3.00 and up gasoline caused many of them to be parked years ago because higher priced gasoline made these cars impractical daily drivers. These cars emerge fairly often as the elderly owners die off.

Dave

Wide, flat, straight roads — ideal for big cars. Rockford’s being close to the Belvidere plant may also have helped with local C-body sales back in the day.

Last edited:
I was looking at that black formal today on FB. I would drive the heck out of that daily.

I am a Rockford resident. I know of LOTS of C bodies besides my fleet.

Think about how many would be in the midwest if rust didn’t kill so many of them.

I remember a few cars I drove to the wrecking yard because the springs went through the trunk floor.

Agree, in the northeast and midwest rust was a major factor. Southern and southwestern cars, where rust wasn't an issue, had their own problems. Sun baked, cracked and torn interiors, fading paint.

View attachment 351172 View attachment 351173
you mention your price range, so I assume you’re looking. What IS your price range and what are you looking for? I know AH guy!!

Back