Is someone willing to take on a difficult project?

That is actually a Newport not a New Yorker. It will have the 361 cu in engine not a 413.
Sadly, it's going to hard to find anyone interested in it other than a parts car.

That is actually a Newport not a New Yorker. It will have the 361 cu in engine not a 413.
Sadly, it's going to hard to find anyone interested in it other than a parts car.
Can you expand on this statement? i have it as a New Yorker, first year without the fins. The fender tag is nearly unreadable on camera... too many friggin' pine needles... but it's a 413 Golden Lion. As a matter of fact, i'm going to scarf this engine and trans, my '72 Polara is very likely in trouble drive-train-wise, and another poster here needs a floor-shift. If it's too much trouble to go bone stock with the Polara, then i'm gonna play fast and loose with things; namely, it's getting an engine it never would have had, but should've

It has the Newport side trim and grille - Newports had the 361 and were available with the manual box...
The first two numerals of the engine displacement will be stamped in the pad in front of the left side cylinder head.

It has the Newport side trim and grille - Newports had the 361 and were available with the manual box...
The first two numerals of the engine displacement will be stamped in the pad in front of the left side cylinder head.
41. Paint code X1V, pearl white.

Can you expand on this statement? i have it as a New Yorker, first year without the fins. The fender tag is nearly unreadable on camera... too many friggin' pine needles... but it's a 413 Golden Lion. As a matter of fact, i'm going to scarf this engine and trans, my '72 Polara is very likely in trouble drive-train-wise, and another poster here needs a floor-shift. If it's too much trouble to go bone stock with the Polara, then i'm gonna play fast and loose with things; namely, it's getting an engine it never would have had, but should've
As Sixtyf said, the trim and grill doesn't match for a New Yorker.
Here's pics of a New Yorker for comparison
chrysler-new-yorker-1962-3.jpg

The grill is completely different and it does not have the side spear trim
chrysler-new-yorker-1962-10.jpg

Also notice the gill trim on the quarter panel. This is the easiest was to spot any New Yorker from 57-62
The standard engine for the Newport is a 361
The 413 was standard in New Yorkers, 300's, and Imperials.
If yours has the raised pad next to the valley (like in the pic below) and is stamped with a "41", then yes, it's a 413 cubic inch engine but the original standard engine was still a 361.
440block.jpg

i think you're right, looking at the grille and lack of side trim. As i said, i found this thing in the woods, and do not know it's history. Given the 413, i think i assumed New Yorker, but given the facts, and your helpful pictures (plus the floor-shift 3-spd) Newport is much more likely. Thanks for setting me straight! (Even if it makes the car even LESS desirable, and less likely to be rescued lol)

i have located a 1962 New Yorker, but oh my GOODNESS it's rough. It's complete, a one-owner car, 413 Golden Lion with a factory floor 3-spd manual (!) but once i saw it i had to go away and cry for a minute. If anyone has some resources, it needs floor pans and considerable work involving the body panels, interior, etc. but... well, it's a slant-headlight '62 New Yorker. If there's any chance it can be rescued, there aren't exactly a lot of these cars around. PM me if interested at all, i will go get pics
I'm working on one now. Are there any parts salvageable?

Holy crap is that thing rough... I can't blame anyone for shying away from that.
The people willing to take on extremely difficult and expensive restorations are dieing off.
Admittedly I got into my restoration with a bit of ignorance as to how much work it would take. My '71 is a lot more work than I initially thought it would be.

So as long as there are hard headed idiots around like me I think people will still fall *** backwards into a project and then tough it out. Now and then anyway.

i suppose it's just POSSIBLE this car could be dug out without this effect...
i suppose it's just POSSIBLE this car could be dug out without this effect...
Is this beast still available and is it in, or near, the town of Hubbardton, Vt. that you live in??? How difficult to get the car drug out of the woods. Can I get my 4 wheel drive Dodge Turbo Diesel Dually back there to drag it out with a chain to get it to where I can get it on my trailer?

Is this beast still available and is it in, or near, the town of Hubbardton, Vt. that you live in??? How difficult to get the car drug out of the woods. Can I get my 4 wheel drive Dodge Turbo Diesel Dually back there to drag it out with a chain to get it to where I can get it on my trailer?

You might try directly contacting the OP through a "conversation", (PM).

The engine pictures look like it has a 2bbl carb which a 413 never came with. Most likely it's the original 361 engine.

The black New Yorker looks like a Canadian version so maybe you shouldn't compare it to an American version. Back in the day there were many differences between US and Canadian built cars.

I was waiting for the pics as the 3-speed was on the 361, and a New Yorker never had one of those. As has been said, that car is a Newport.

'62 Newport:
IMG_5130.JPG

'62 New Yorker:
pasengerside.JPG

You might try directly contacting the OP through a "conversation", (PM).

The engine pictures look like it has a 2bbl carb which a 413 never came with. Most likely it's the original 361 engine.
Well, Thanks. Trying to find a '61 Three speed set up for my '61. Have a '59 413 and the '62 Tranny that I could buy locally, wont fit without a lot of changing. Thought that might be the way to go as the '62 motor would bolt into my '61 without too much trouble. At least I think so.

Sorry i haven't been on in awhile, things have been crazy here. To answer a few questions, it's within an hour's drive of where i live. As to getting it out, i wouldn't recommend a simple chain-haul, but the property owner is a farmer with tractors and equipment where we could lift and pull. The pedal-box and shifter are intact. Having looked at it a second time, i think getting it out intact is possible, but not a sure thing... Anyone who is interested PM me, and i'll provide you with an e-mail address and my phone #, since i sometimes let a fair amount of time elapse between visiting the forum...

Sorry i haven't been on in awhile, things have been crazy here. To answer a few questions, it's within an hour's drive of where i live. As to getting it out, i wouldn't recommend a simple chain-haul, but the property owner is a farmer with tractors and equipment where we could lift and pull. The pedal-box and shifter are intact. Having looked at it a second time, i think getting it out intact is possible, but not a sure thing... Anyone who is interested PM me, and i'll provide you with an e-mail address and my phone #, since i sometimes let a fair amount of time elapse between visiting the forum...
Well, I'm not so hot to trot on it now. If it'd been a 413 with the three speed, I would have been more interested. I have a '59 413 and access to a '62 3 speed. Chrysler did a switch a roo in '62 and the '62 3 speed won't mate to my '59 engine. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

I'd gladly do it if I had some Good Fairy with plenty kilobuck$ to subsidize the job. That car NEEDS TO BE RESCUED! Well, so do I.... sigh.

That black New Yorker in post #25 looks great. I like the New Yorkers, especially the the late '40's ones like the '48 and '49. Sorry to see that Newport in such a state of disrepair. I wish I was a multi-millionaire, I'd fix them all up. We just can't save them all and some should be used as parts cars so that others may live to cruise our boulevards once again.

I'm working on one now. Are there any parts salvageable?

What would you need for your '62. I have a friend that has about 300 old Chrysler cars on his farm nearby, that are 95% 50s-60s models. I could see if he could help you with your needs.
That goes for anyone else that needs parts for their cars. I'd do all I could to help with any requests.

He has a nice '70, I think, Chrysler two door hardtop. 440 engine automatic, complete less seats. It is a pretty solid car. It was driven down the interstate about 2 years ago at full song and ran and drove great. He took it in trade for a 300 F he had for sale at the time. Kind of cream color with black vinyl top. I think he wants $3,200 dollars for it. I will check it out if anyone is interested in it. Delivery could be arranged for $1.25 per loaded mile.

Rob

Back