Is there a source for a can of aerosol spray paint with correct paint (1967 Forest green metalic) ?

My lower dashboard and steering column housing shells have a flat / smooth finish, not a textured finish (I assume you are describing an orange-peel type texture?). Maybe there was a difference between '67 and '68 ?

i wouldn't call it an orange peel...more like 220 or 320 grit sandpaper....and seems like it wears off/ flattens out with age....no idea about your year but my 68 interior colors were not the same as the exterior (mist blue)...they were a darker contrasting color (bahama blue)...and although local paint shops (PPG and Axalta) had codes for the exterior color they couldn't find anything for the interior...the scanner they use to come up with a formula needs a flat surface and they said if they scanned anything that didnt have a gloss it wouldn't come out right....that's why i went to 8774paint1

Last edited:
As stated above it is almost a metallic matte. When finished it is like running your hand over 320 to 600 grit sandpaper. My high dollar paint shop couldn’t replicate the feel and look, so I ordered a couple of cans from 8774paint1. I was very satisfied. Here is my post and pictures of the paint and dash.
68 Polara restore back on

1967 was the first year for the collapsible steering column, so the column should be a separate item, suede black, I suspect. On the 1966 and prior C-body cars, the steering column had instrument panel/interior color shiny paint for the items on the column and the access panel underneath it, as I recall.

My '67 Newport has the white vinyl buckets and black carpet/dash pad, so that might influence the colors on my car's steering column.

Ok, the weather's nice (but we'll pay for it, we always do). I've gone into the car one last time until spring, took a few photos.

dashboard-paint.jpg

This is with the glovebox door up. I see where my paint job ends and the original paint begins. I didn't take the dashboard out when I painted it. And yes, I can feel the texture of that flat paint. The new paint looks darker in this photo, but the angle is wrong except for the curved front, the color is a good match.

But I do like the glossy look better. If I had to do it all over again, and I had the dash out and all prep'd, and I had the flat textured paint in one hand and the glossy paint in the other, I honestly don't know what I'd do. Be true to the original, or kick it up a notch?

dash.jpg

Hmmm. The cover trim looks like it's a different color. I wonder if it was plastic. I wonder how the tilt column will change the position of the steering wheel. The housing on that tilt column looks pretty long. But I see there's a couple of inches of space where the housing could extend backwards towards the dash.

I've taken the ashtray out, it's been painted so it will make a good sample when I bring it to a shop to get a color scan.

I will paint the tilt column with a matching gloss-green, but I will put it on my list to obtain the correct textured paint - for some future restoration job down the road...

I was painting the door surrounds and engine area (71 Challenger, engine out and doors off) just today with B5 blue mixed at a local auto paint supplier. Cost was about $30 a can for matching spray paint. Returning the car to B5 from POs Plum Crazy.
I had a local paint supplier mix up my B5 in cans also to paint my roll cage, engine bay, hood and other parts also.

IMG_54301.jpg

IMG9526351.jpg

100_1666.jpg

Challenger Progress 018 [640x480].jpg

20200426_224158.jpg

the stamping on my 68 dash next to the door jamb is so wavy i can see why they wouldn't want a gloss finish on there

I' going to need a can of matching paint for my '67 Monaco, not sure exactly what the paint code is but it's the dark green metalic. Would be great if it was in an aerosol spray can, ready to use. Does such a product exist?
Our napa makes paint and puts it in spray cans

Yea, I've called around my city (London Ontario) and I'll be getting paint from "Brown’s Auto Supply". They seem like a small collision supply chain (4 locations from Toronto west to Chatham). They can color match and put 2-part single-stage urethane in a spray can for like $30 a can.

I' going to need a can of matching paint for my '67 Monaco, not sure exactly what the paint code is but it's the dark green metalic. Would be great if it was in an aerosol spray can, ready to use. Does such a product exist?
Bill hirsh has it in qts or spray cans

Yea, I've called around my city (London Ontario) and I'll be getting paint from "Brown’s Auto Supply". They seem like a small collision supply chain (4 locations from Toronto west to Chatham). They can color match and put 2-part single-stage urethane in a spray can for like $30 a can.

yep getting the car's paint scanned is the best way to get a good match. i got spray can of perfectly matched RA3 crystal coat for my Salon, it was about $36 here in Victoria

yep getting the car's paint scanned is the best way to get a good match. i got spray can of perfectly matched RA3 crystal coat for my Salon, it was about $36 here in Victoria
do you just bring them a part (say the glove box) and they scan it, or did you drive there and they come out to your car with some tool?

you can take the glove box for them to scan. i drove there because i wanted some external paint. they use a hand held scanner to come up with the right paint formual. they scanned the area i was wanting to touch up

Back