Is this a sign of a bad windshield seal?

jct

Reaction score
20190824_163158.jpg

Drips pretty good, and was the reason why the floor pan was decaying away

It is not uncommon for all cars to rust near the lower front and rear window corners. The water pools here and you cannot see the rust easily. My '70 Fury III from Washington state had issues on front and back. That is why you may see some rust under the trunk mat. It is not unusual but not a cheap fix also.

View attachment 312500

Drips pretty good, and was the reason why the floor pan was decaying away

The front and rear window channels leaked at the pinch welds on the corners from the day that these cars were new due to poor sealing at the factory. It is not uncommon to find rust at the base of the front A-Pillars and top of the cowl. As noted the rear window channel tended to leak into the trunk and rot out the lower quarter radii and the trunk floor in addition to the rear window channel. If the metal underneath the glass is still solid, the glass can be removed and resealed. Usually though the window channel will have holes rusted in it and will have to be repaired to effect any type of permanent fix. This is usually a time consuming and expensive fix as often a new channel will have to be fabricated and welded in. Small rust outs can be repaired with a wire feed welder and ground off and repainted, but I never seem to get that lucky.

Dave

Does the dash have to come out for that repair?

If there is going to be any welding done, the dash pad would need to come out to protect it. Same is true with the internal moldings front and rear and the package tray, headliner, trunk mats and rear seat. The vinyl top is usually toast on cars with significant rust, so that will need to be removed also so that it does not catch fire from the welding. Welding tends to drop sparks and slag so any item that can catch fire needs to be gotten out of the way.

Dave

Thankfully my leak in the back window has been taken care of, it was bad split rubberized trim clips leaking water in the trunk

Back