nWater intrusion

66furys

Reaction score
So, I have just pulled the major parts of my carpet.....in fact, two layers, and the driver side sheet metal is crap. Pass side seems pretty good so far. Have not pulled the windshield cowl, but am wondering about where the water came from on the driver side. The metal is real bad from up in the footwell back to the middle of the seat. So, where in the heck did all this water come from to cause one side to be awful, and the other to be OK. Thoughts?? And, also, if anyone has thoughts on where to get more floor pan metal, I would appreciate it. Got the basics from classic2current, but I would like to get the center pan. Likely will have to fab it, but just thought I would ask.. tx

There's not but a couple of places. Windshield or cowl. Dry it out once everything is pulled. Have someone spray a garden hose on it while you sit or lay inside. If no one is around, a ladder and zip ties work too. You'll find it...

Good thought, I had wondered if there was some vent or something I had not found. I have a lot of air when driving, but with holes here and there in the metal, not surprising. But, still a lot to learn here. thx

Other than the hole for the steering column, which is sealed, there is also a small hole for the speedometer cable and then the hole where the bulkhead connector/fuseblock is. None of those are in places where moisture could collect, though.
"
Might need to remove the cowl screen and use a borescope/"critter cam" to look inside of the cowl's nooks and crannies for obvious rusted areas. Possibilities from the lh cowl vent? A shop vac to clean out any accumulations of leaves or such, too?

In the mean time, Gorilla Tape can be used to close-up any "air holes" in the floorpan until you can install the new metal there.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back