Is this interior correct?

Yes, I was aware of the H1Q trim code, but I've found recently that the fender tags are not always 100% accurate.
I guess my question was actually this: could you get all-vinyl upholstery on a New Yorker in '65, and if so, what would that look like?

Yes, I was aware of the H1Q trim code, but I've found recently that the fender tags are not always 100% accurate.
I guess my question was actually this: could you get all-vinyl upholstery on a New Yorker in '65, and if so, what would that look like?
Ah! That makes more sense. Yes, you could get vinyl but it looked like this:

R (1).jpeg

Mystery solved. Went to www.hamtramck-historical.com and did not find much other than the vinyl and fabric swaths and trim combination charts. All of the turquoise interiors were the lighter turquoise colors, no darter ones.

Then went to www.eatondetriotspring.com to look at the 1965 brochure. Those pictures of the NY interior indicate the pattern in the auction car is correct, but no two-tone version shown. Factory vinyl is as pictured above in the bucket seat image.

So, somebody had the interior redone in turquoise vinyl in the correct factory pattern (which included the emblems in the darker band). BUT the pattern the vinyl was done in is the NY CLOTH pattern (as to the horizontal band with the emblems in it). One deviation is that the cloth inserts had sewn-in ribs vertically. That was replaced with the wider ribs in the current interior. On the factory cloth interior, the horizontal band is the same color as the rest of the interior, not different.

Whomever did the sewing on that interior appears to have done a very good job. Obviously some thought went into the materials and design. Now, the next question is "Why?"

Enjoy!
CBODY67

And the SMS prices? Still, the darker color does not look black, but rather the darker turquoise, as seen in the original upholstery in my quintuple turquoise NYer. Specifically the front section of the door panel, the dash, and the kick panels.

113_1369.JPG

113_1357.JPG

113_1375.JPG

Last edited:
Back