Is this Monaco worth $2500?

I think it’s a good deal for a 2 door.
I bought this car back in 03 for $50… it was bronze and needed everything and it has too many doors. But I drove it lots, raced it and often won. I spent $200 on paint and made it look ok. Nice wheels and being a 4 door hard top has the biggest side windows of all time. They’re nice looking cars. I’d buy it and do the same thing I did with this 4 door. Get it going, put some wheels and tires and make it stop and go have fun. You don’t need a show car just something decent to drive around in and enjoy.

IMG_4490.jpeg

Furthermore I should note. This is my buddies 66 newyorker im fixing up. The original 440 has a burnt valve, trans was slippy, brake didn’t work, no exhaust system.
I pulled it apart and started fixing. Repair brakes, new master and wheels cylinders and hoses, he had a 77 440 and 727 that was good so I resealed them and cleaned things up. Fixing wiring, and other small stuff. 4 door Yorker up in Canada was worth $3000 in cdn $. A 2 door like you’re looking at here would be all of $4000. So like I say it seems like a good deal from where I live even though the us $ is worth allot more then our monopoly $. Almost done what it needs to be road worthy.
Then on to getting the Monaco back on the road.

IMG_4054.jpeg

IMG_4020.jpeg

IMG_3996.jpeg

IMG_3868.jpeg

IMG_3867.jpeg

IMG_3791.jpeg

70640430107__81043ECD-F0FC-4210-B5BD-E011505E346F.jpeg

I paid $1250 for this beauty, but with shipping and trans rebuild and seat re-upholstery and brakes and carb rebuild and pumps/wires/hoses/tires, I have about 10K into it. No paint. I'm not complaining, but this stuff adds up quick!

113_1695.JPG

113_1696.JPG

113_1693.JPG

113_1699.JPG

Just skimming through this thread for the first time and not seeing a lot of discussion about the condition of the 383. That should be a major consideration in anticipating the future cost of getting it mechanically sound. I'm hoping to see updates of you working to bring this one back to life.

After visiting AMS Obsolete in rural Georgia after I bought my 67 Newport Custom 4 years ago, I would hesitate to say that anything for these old Mopars can't be obtained. The place is mind-blowing....it's in the middle of nowhere....the grounds are chock-full with parts and 600 cars in the Georgia woods....multiple buildings absolutely stuffed to the rafters with old and NOS Mopar parts.

You can't believe until you go there, and then you really can't believe it.

Yes, but looking at what $7k gets you anymore (in asking prices, anyway), I don't think that's an option either.

I'm not meaning to be a debbie-downer on ya. I'm just really glad I got my 3 cars years ago before all this stuff started getting *really* expensive.
But the news is saying everybody's been getting raises due to this inflation and it's all OK. :rolleyes:

@cdmcclellan71
If the engine isn't locked up -- buy this car.
I don't think you'll find anything else comparable for the asking price.
Get it roadworthy as-is (meaning, don't tear it apart for a restoration) and likely you won't lose any money on it.

You're probably right about the 7K. I saw only three good clean cars this year. Always far away. And gone in 60 seconds.

Even if you spend 7k on a nicer car, you’re still going to have to spend nearly the same amount on those things.

But it would be nice to sidestep the monster cost for the interior work and body work, and just have to do the mechanics.

It's just so dang dirty. I just want to spend a whole day cleaning the interior just to see how it looks, it's just hard to tell. I don't think it was in a flood but I do not know anything about the history. It's worthy of some work to make it a driver.. I'm going to see if I can work on the price a little bit more.

From the photos, I'd be curious if this car were in a flood.

Must have been a couple different steering wheels. 3 spoke vs rim-blow? Monaco vs Polara? US car vs CAN car?

I wonder if there's a FT code for the clock? Same question for bumper guards.

Something doesn't look right with the rad bulkhead behind the battery, like part of it is missing.

My car never had a certicard. I wonder if that was a US vs CAN thing?

Amazing how well the lower trim holds up over time in the right climate. That's Monaco 500 trim isin't it? Maybe the steering wheel comes with the trim? There's something round on the lower dash, to the left of the vent pull handle, above one of the guages, what is it?

Car was left in gear when it was parked? Or just shifted later at some point.

Last edited:
Buckets with the "buddy seat", just like my '67 Newport.

The rarest combination is the buckets, console, and column shift. As depicted in the console illustration in the '67 Chrysler service manual. Yes, there is a block-off plate for the shifter slot, in that illustration PLUS that block-off plate is listed in the Chrysler parts book, too!

I have a Dodge console in the correct armrest color. Just need that block-off plate!

CBODY67
Would that have been because it was a 3 on the tree? I have seen that before.

I'd buy that car for around that price. I would fix and drive it the way it is. Then keep fixing stuff as the years go on. It will always be worth more than you paid.
I would not get into the 100 point perfect resto trap. If that is what you like/interested in then find a better car to start with, too hard to make that car that way.
It could be made into a really nice driver/cruiser to enjoy making road trips without the worry of some fly shitting on the hood or some such nonsense.

So have you bought it yet ?
Forget All this chatter about it being to much money . Its NOT!

My 68 Barracuda was an empty shell and I paid $700 15 years ago . My 69 340 4sp Dart Swinger had no drive train or front suspension and nasty interior with Camaro seats . I paid $1200 for it .
Im into the Barracuda about $17k and the Dart maybe $20 . $12k of that is the 408 W2 Solid Roller engine . $2500 for a unique car with all the parts is a steal ! Most of the trim can be refurbished with elbow grease and enginuity.

IMG_20170801_121304.jpeg
20170101_105625.jpeg

IMG_9321.jpeg

Back