Is this Monaco worth $2500?

Its a 2 door, a/c car. Big block that does look complete. Havnt heard if it runs yet. I have seen alot worse for a lot higher. If the bottoms not rusted out, id go for it if you have a dry place to tinker. I would. I like it.

You know one of these days I will learn to ck the date of the post Im reading so I dont comment on yester.... news!

These are 15's and I do like the style.. on ebay, they want $100 and an additional $60 to ship.. I don't think so, but I like the look.

View attachment 622912

So, the immediate objective is to get the car home? And the rollback tow truck will damage the front and/or rear with those flat tires? Yes, it probably will. And trailer loading probably ain't going to happen.
It would be nice if some nice person in your area would offer up some loner tires for transporting the car home. Or just give you some will pop yard tires.
Hint Hint.

People have been known to rent trailers for $20 a day and borrow the tires from the trailer.

So, the immediate objective is to get the car home? And the rollback tow truck will damage the front and/or rear with those flat tires? Yes, it probably will. And trailer loading probably ain't going to happen.
It would be nice if some nice person in your area would offer up some loner tires for transporting the car home. Or just give you some will pop yard tires.
Hint Hint.

People have been known to rent trailers for $20 a day and borrow the tires from the trailer.
If it were me, I’d come with 4 good (to get on the trailer) tires and wheels, chains, portable air compressor, etc to ensure the task goes smoothly. Relying upon someone else that you probably don’t know, is almost ensuring that you will be disappointed.

Which 14" tire would be the closest to factory specs?

If you're just looking for wheels/tires to put on the car to be able to move it, I'll go out on a bit of a short limb here and say that ANY Chrysler-made vehicle with 15, 16 or 17" wheels will fit on the back of the '67 Monaco. I know that, for example, the 16 and 17 inch rims from any LH-era car (intrepid, concord, LHS, 300m) will work on the back of the Monaco.

Chrysler maintained the same wheel-circle or bolt-pattern for many years. It's a 4.5 inch (114.3 mm) bolt pattern. These wheels will not work on the front wheels due to the long bearing hub. They can work on the front if you use a wheel spacer disk.

If you have access to a couple of temporary spare tires (the narrow "get me home" tires) they might work on the front wheels.

And here's an important tip: The lug nuts on the driver's side wheels are left-hand thread. So to take them off, you'll have to turn them as if you're tightening a regular nut.

And make sure you know where to place a jack to jack the car up. Use a floor jack, not the farmer's jack that you find in the trunk. I put the jack under front cross-member under the engine. That will lift both front wheels at the same time. If the car is sitting on gravel / dirt, the jack will sink into the ground, but you might not have enough clearance to put anything under it. For the rear, I place a jack under the frame-box just behind where the rear shackle is bolted to the frame. Use a piece of wood, like a short piece of 2 x 4, between the jack and the car if you have the room. I always try to use something, even if it's 1/4 inch thick.

Last edited:
If it were me, I’d come with 4 good (to get on the trailer) tires and wheels, chains, portable air compressor, etc to ensure the task goes smoothly. Relying upon someone else that you probably don’t know, is almost ensuring that you will be disappointed.
Agreed. I have a trailer and will absolutely be moving it myself.

If you're just looking for wheels/tires to put on the car to be able to move it, I'll go out on a bit of a short limb here and say that ANY Chrysler-made vehicle with 15, 16 or 17" wheels will fit on the back of the '67 Monaco. I know that, for example, the 16 and 17 inch rims from any LH-era car (intrepid, concord, LHS, 300m) will work on the back of the Monaco.

Chrysler maintained the same wheel-circle or bolt-pattern for many years. It's a 4.5 inch (114.3 mm) bolt pattern. These wheels will not work on the front wheels due to the long bearing hub. They can work on the front if you use a wheel spacer disk.

If you have access to a couple of temporary spare tires (the narrow "get me home" tires) they might work on the front wheels.

And here's an important tip: The lug nuts on the driver's side wheels are left-hand thread. So to take them off, you'll have to turn them as if you're tightening a regular nut.

And make sure you know where to place a jack to jack the car up. Use a floor jack, not the farmer's jack that you find in the trunk. I put the jack under front cross-member under the engine. That will lift both front wheels at the same time. If the car is sitting on gravel / dirt, the jack will sink into the ground, but you might not have enough clearance to put anything under it. For the rear, I place a jack under the frame-box just behind where the rear shackle is bolted to the frame. Use a piece of wood, like a short piece of 2 x 4, between the jack and the car if you have the room. I always try to use something, even if it's 1/4 inch thick.
Basically what my original question was.. that I have the wheels that are currently on the car as well as 5- 15" steel wheels as well and whether or not a guy in 2023 should go with one or the other? I think I have decided to use the current wheels and purchase the 14" tires. However, I do tend to go back and forth on such decisions!
I do have all the proper Jacks/knowledge ect. and do appreciate the advice.
Though I'm not quite as old as this Monaco, I'm not too far off. Currently in my stable:
1970 Torino
1978 Gmc
1979 Kenworth
1999 Kenworth
And a couple of newer vehicles.. I am determined to get rid of all the newer stuff and will be only be using the pre-computer stuff that I can actually work on

Well yes, if you have the 4 tires on wheels handy.
Which I do on the 15" wheels. The tires are 30 years old and will still hold air however I'm going to purchase the tires that will be run on the car.. I just wasn't sure which size to go with and was looking for some insight, which I appreciate, thank you.

Basically what my original question was.. that I have the wheels that are currently on the car as well as 5- 15" steel wheels as well and whether or not a guy in 2023 should go with one or the other? I think I have decided to use the current wheels and purchase the 14" tires. However, I do tend to go back and forth on such decisions!

So your primary question here is, if you're going to drop a load of cash on new tires, are they going to be 14" or 15" tires.

Your decision to use 15" steel rims will depend on if you have hubcaps for them that you are happy with, or maybe they are the type of rims that don't have hubcaps (like magnums and I think also "road wheels"). If you have the hubcaps that you want, or if that isin't an issue, and you already have the 15" rims and they're clean and the beads are not messed up (or you'll rehab them anyways) then I would say to use the 15" rims and buy new tires for those. Presumably the rims are all the same width, 6 inch at least or 6.5 inch. I'm saying this because you have more options with 15" tires, more size options that will be exactly what this car wants. You can still keep the 14" wheels and maybe you'll put some new or used rubber on them, maybe not, but possibility is there.

I faced the same decision, I have a collection of 15" rims, I might have needed to get one more for a complete set, but I didn't have a good lead on reasonable hubcaps. But I have a lot of 14" hubcaps in good shape, and the 215-75-14 tire size is close enough for me to the 'real original size", so I went the 14" route. And while doing that I stumbled upon some 14" magnum rims in good shape for $50 each so I bought them, and that's what I'm going to use for the new tires.

Does this help?

I do have all the proper Jacks/knowledge ect. and do appreciate the advice.
Though I'm not quite as old as this Monaco, I'm not too far off. Currently in my stable:
1970 Torino
1978 Gmc
1979 Kenworth
1999 Kenworth
And a couple of newer vehicles.. I am determined to get rid of all the newer stuff and will be only be using the pre-computer stuff that I can actually work on

Well then, good to go. Sounds like a routine pickup mobilization.
I like your car with your 15 wheels, if they aren't bent.
Amen on the computer cars.
My 64 New Yorker, 67 Toronado, 72 New Yorker, 75 Dart, 76 F100, 78 Grand Marquis, and 87 Fifth Avenue are successfully replacing my 93 Dakota, 95 Deville, 96 Roadmaster wagon, 98 B3500 van, and 98 Deville. Probably done by mid-summer coming up.
And I don't plan on looking back.
But I will miss the Dakota V8/auto/4.33 rear. Might keep that one.

Last edited:
A 68 in ready to enjoy condition in Saskatchewan.

1968 Dodge Monaco

Kevin
Good looking car for sure, but something doesn't look quite correct with the interior, like the steering wheel and door cards. Could be that they were missing before the restoration and the interior from another car was used? Don't want to hijack this thread so maybe another thread in the for sale section may be in order.

Well then, good to go. Sounds like a routine pickup mobilization.
I like your car with your 15 wheels, if they aren't bent.
Amen on the computer cars.
My 64 New Yorker, 67 Toronado, 72 New Yorker, 75 Dart, 76 F100, 78 Grand Marquis, and 87 Fifth Avenue are successfully replacing my 93 Dakota, 95 Deville, 96 Roadmaster wagon, 98 B3500 van, and 98 Deville. Probably done by mid-summer coming up.
And I don't plan on looking back.
But I will miss the Dakota V8/auto/4.33 rear. Might keep that one.
We love our 95 Roadmaster Limited, with almost 60k on the clock. I have one more window roller set to replace and the car will be completely functional and man o man does it ride smoothly!

IMG_9883.jpeg

I do like the Buick Roadmaster wagon. But with 300k on the clock, it's getting a bit long in the tooth.
In other words, it's plum wore out. It's falling apart all over the place.
No rust, uses no oil, gets 16 to 24, 0 to 60 in 8 seconds. Go figure.

I have always liked these style 67 hubcaps the best.
They are only available in 14s though.
Check the ford wheel center hubs. They may be too small.

IMG_7391.jpeg

IMG_7392.jpeg

Back