Is this Monaco worth $2500?

Well I had a bit of time to tinker with this Monaco today and the first thing I did was get the trunk open to have a look. I cleaned everything out and vacuumed to get a look at the floor condition.. though unfortunately it wasn't perfect I can't be too upset with the condition overall. Considering this 500 is most likely suited to be a driver that you wouldn’t worry about parking at the grocery store, it's a patch-able situation. I was cleaning the Interior up enough to not be afraid of getting inside to work on it and since the carpet is pretty brittle I pulled up 2 spots, one on the driver's side floorboard as well as the passenger side and it looked really nice showing it's original green paint, at least at those 2 spots.
I'm looking forward to digging into the mechanics, I'm just needing get that '69 Fury 1 and then be able to access my options and prioritize one or the other. Here's a few shots I took today.

20231230_151336.jpg

20231230_151240.jpg

20231230_132708.jpg

20231230_132733.jpg

20231230_132729.jpg

20231230_132947.jpg

20231230_132736.jpg

20231230_132740.jpg

20231230_132802.jpg

20231230_134052.jpg

Should I just rip out all of the carpet to see what's what? I guess if I were to send this car down the road, that'd be best for a prospective buyer? What do you guys think?
Side note: I hooked up a battery and moved the power seat back but only the small under the dash light and the headlights (all 4) worked at this point. I haven't checked fuses

Should I just rip out all of the carpet to see what's what? I guess if I were to send this car down the road, that'd be best for a prospective buyer? What do you guys think?
Side note: I hooked up a battery and moved the power seat back but only the small under the dash light and the headlights (all 4) worked at this point. I haven't checked fuses
I would do the underhood ammeter bypass before juicing up anything to avoid any nuclear meltdowns.
I would remove the carpet. A carpet kit is not too expensive, around 250.00 if you keep the car.
Otherwise the exposed floors are a good selling point.
The holes in the trunk re typical for fastops. Check the rear window for any leaks that run into the trunk.
As I mentioned in another thread, she is a rare beast and not many are left.

Last edited:
Damn it looks cold there. We only hit 60 today and my wife put on the heat!

You're thinking you might not be keeping this car, I got that sense that you weren't really warm to it. Your first priority should be the windshield. Any other cleanup should come later. The ammeter bypass is way down the list (I've not done it to my '67 Monaco). You can always disconnect the battery if the car is going to sit a while.

If this car is destined to become a parts car, please let me know, there are some things on it I'd really like to have.

The next person that owns this car is going to pull the engine and transmission and junk the rest of it. If there's a way they could get my contact info so I could buy a few parts off them, that would be nice.

Last edited:
This car have rear heat or ac?
No. Those are the drain tubes for the catch pan for water coming through the "flow through" fresh air slots on the Dutchman panel.
Was an absolutely brilliant example of Rube Goldberg engineering.

You're thinking you might not be keeping this car, I got that sense that you weren't really warm to it. Your first priority should be the windshield. Any other cleanup should come later. The ammeter bypass is way down the list (I've not done it to my '67 Monaco). You can always disconnect the battery if the car is going to sit a while.

If this car is destined to become a parts car, please let me know, there are some things on it I'd really like to have.

The next person that owns this car is going to pull the engine and transmission and junk the rest of it. If there's a way they could get my contact info so I could buy a few parts off them, that would be nice.
This car isn't a candidate to junk, it's in too good of shape. I just removed the headliner and am working on removing the seats.. they'd be out but there's an h-pipe that's blocking one bolt so that'll take a minute with a wrench. Once the carpet is removed I'll be able to properly access this car. Underneath looks really good, this is a solid car that I do like. My hesitation began when I discovered that '69 Fury.. I can't justify 2 cars at this point and I'm going to decide which project to focus on. The trunk being cleaned out reveled a lot.. this thing is a nice car that seemingly was stored inside when it was parked.. if I send this car down the road I doubt it'll go to a guy looking to junk it and I'm definitely not going to part it out. The signs look like it's going to run, I'll be finding that out soon, I'm just waiting to verify that the original keys aren't available from the previous owner before I start down that road. I do like this car for the record, a lot! I've bought one replacement taillight, still looking for the passenger side.. I've sourced one but hoping to find a better price, not likely.
The windshield will come after it's running and driving

I can understand your delimma.
We own both 67 Monaco and 69 Fury!
One one side you have a legit full sized musclecar with an H code 383.
The other side you have a farmers goin to town slant six rig.
The 67 Monaco values have been on the rise. I know since I own one and been watching them climb.
SHe is worth restoring back to original.
The Fury is most likely a candidate to get modified.
Although 69 Fury values are up, but mostly the SF models and big block cars.
Sure the 69 F1 is rare and if restored to original, it will be an awesome conversation piece, but the investment will exceed its value.
But the fun factor rowing through the column shift is priceless. And a great millenial anti theft device!!
We hsve 4 cars altogether, 1 not running. It is hard to know what to do, lol!

1000001462.jpg

This car isn't a candidate to junk, it's in too good of shape. ...My hesitation began when I discovered that '69 Fury..
You never know what hte next guy will decide. There are a lot of knuckleheads out there that won't recognize this as a 500, appreciate the rarity, and give the car sanctuary. They'll sell the drivetrain if they can't sell their mother first.

After cursory review of the 69 Fury you posted, I'd recommend this one in a heartbeat.
IMO the only plus side of the Fury is to sell the hen's-teeth pedals for $500+. It's not an exciting car as-is and it's pretty rough.

No. Those are the drain tubes for the catch pan for water coming through the "flow through" fresh air slots on the Dutchman panel.
Was an absolutely brilliant example of Rube Goldberg engineering.
Well, in the other models, the trunk pan serves as the catchpan...

@cdmcclellan71
The flow-thru system is '67 only. I've seen the system up close (was on a car I parted-out many years ago) but not experienced the operation. Seems a really great idea in theory. If you can get it refurbished it's another benefit over the Fury.

Here's the driver's side floor, the one close up shot is the only rust hole all the way through, I'll wire wheel the rust area's and see if that changes, but all in all I'd say the amount of rust in this car is a win.
I haven't searched yet but can someone tell me the method of removing the back seat?
The only body damage I can find is the shot I took on the passenger side by the turn signal.
Engine diagnostic coming soon.

20231231_160533.jpg

20231231_155954.jpg

20231231_155951.jpg

20231231_160115.jpg

20231231_160725.jpg

I haven't searched yet but can someone tell me the method of removing the back seat?
Kneel in the rear floorpan area, put your knee at the bottom edge of the seat, and hands on both sides.
Push rearward and down, about 1-1/2" rearward, and then try to lift it up.

There's a cross-rod on the seatframe going into this hook. Arrow is to the rear.
They can be a PITA sometimes.

Top of the rear seat is held by 2 large screws at the bottom, then is a lift-and-pull action.

1704071676823.png

She is very solid and the rust holes are easy repairs.
For the love god do not lose the bows for the headliner!
Being a non vinyl top car is what really saved this car from rusting away.
Keep the updates coming!!

Back