Is this Monaco worth $2500?

I found the Venezia Classic 787 whitewalls, 215/75/14 on ebay for about $100/tire. Great tire, they look right on my '63 Riviera and my '67 Newport Custom. 4 years later they still look great. I ran the Newport up to 100mph, no issues.

I prefer the look of the Venezia tire sidewall to the Hankook tires that are on my 65 NYer. The Hankook sidewall just looks too modern/weird. But I'm cheap, so the Hankooks will stay till it's time to replace them.

Newport.jpg

thumbnail_Riviera at Davis Isle.jpg

I found the Venezia Classic 787 whitewalls, 215/75/14 on ebay for about $100/tire. Great tire, they look right on my '63 Riviera and my '67 Newport Custom. 4 years later they still look great. I ran the Newport up to 100mph, no issues.

I prefer the look of the Venezia tire sidewall to the Hankook tires that are on my 65 NYer. The Hankook sidewall just looks too modern/weird. But I'm cheap, so the Hankooks will stay till it's time to replace them.

That's interesting that you have the Venezia. I had stumbled across that brand last year when I started looking for 215-75-14 tires. I could never figure out who retailed them let alone who made them. On your '65 do you have the Hankook Optimo or Kinergy?

Can someone help me with these taillights? I need a pair and the first one pictured is listed as "passenger" side for a 67 and the second one is listed as the "left" - driver's side, however they don't look like they'd match. The third photo is my car.
I've purchased the left side one already and hoping it's going to work.
-Chris

Screenshot_20231025_125030_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20231025_124920_eBay.jpg

20231013_183004.jpg

There are 2 styles of tail lights for the Monaco / Polara for '67. The difference being that one has a narrower metal bezel surround and correspondingly larger red plastic lens. The second has a wider bezel with a smaller (by area) plastic lens. This is a photo of the second type:

tail-light-lens.JPG

You would not see this lens on a US Monaco, only on US Polara's. In Canada, this was a common lens found on Monaco's and Polara's. The inner portion of the bezel has a frosted finish to it, and the lens has no chromed ring. The other lens (what technically is a "Monaco" lens) I believe has a chromed ring that is part of the plastic lens.

I've never actually been up close in person to a car with a real Monaco lens so I'm not exactly sure if the ring is chromed plastic or a metal chromed strip bonded to the plastic. In Canada, I *believe* the rule was that they put the real Monaco lens on Monaco convertibles and possibly on Monaco-500's.

It's my perception that the Polara lenses were thicker or at least molded with a shape or contour that made them less prone to puncture / damage.

1698275167661.jpeg
I was reading it ad a Monaco.. that's where I went wrong eh? I'm glad the one I purchased was the correct one.
I'm looking into 3d printing a pair..

There are 2 styles of tail lights for the Monaco / Polara for '67. The difference being that one has a narrower metal bezel surround and correspondingly larger red plastic lens. The second has a wider bezel with a smaller (by area) plastic lens. This is a photo of the second type:

View attachment 624420

You would not see this lens on a US Monaco, only on US Polara's. In Canada, this was a common lens found on Monaco's and Polara's. The inner portion of the bezel has a frosted finish to it, and the lens has no chromed ring. The other lens (what technically is a "Monaco" lens) I believe has a chromed ring that is part of the plastic lens.

I've never actually been up close in person to a car with a real Monaco lens so I'm not exactly sure if the ring is chromed plastic or a metal chromed strip bonded to the plastic. In Canada, I *believe* the rule was that they put the real Monaco lens on Monaco convertibles and possibly on Monaco-500's.

It's my perception that the Polara lenses were thicker or at least molded with a shape or contour that made them less prone to puncture / damage.
Thank you for all of that information. That really helps out a bunch! There have been some big break throughsome on 3d printing taillights that I'm looking into. It seems finding a pair is somewhat difficult!

Using this site on my phone is a pain.. I can't see what I'm typing half the tim and end up with typos without knowing until after I send the message

There are a few threads here on FCBO about making lenses by making (silicone?) molds from good lenses and casting them with liquid resin. I've had some experience with 3-d printing, and (a) the printed solid result tends to be filled with microscopic air pockes, and (b) to get a glossy smooth surface you need to expose the finished result to solvent vapors (acetone?) that will slightly melt the surface. Regarding these lenses, they are quite large and beyond the means of a lot of printers.

1698845142099.png

One thing baffles me. I have a '68 Polara 500 vert with an "H" code 383 mag (buckets, console). I thought to myself that this was an excellent buy when the "H" on the VIN. Then I saw a pic of the engine-definately not a Magnum (and probably a 2bbl). Did Chrysler change engine digits on VIN's between '67 and '68, or has someone swapped the original Magnum for the current engine?

View attachment 625470
One thing baffles me. I have a '68 Polara 500 vert with an "H" code 383 mag (buckets, console). I thought to myself that this was an excellent buy when the "H" on the VIN. Then I saw a pic of the engine-definately not a Magnum (and probably a 2bbl). Did Chrysler change engine digits on VIN's between '67 and '68, or has someone swapped the original Magnum for the current engine?
What's the pic look like? Should have the 383-4 under the hood

View attachment 625470
I'm trying to figure out why you're using my vin as your example?

W
I'm trying to figure out why you're using my vin as your example?
What's your Vin #?
I haven't verified my engine number yet, I'm waiting on tires to show up so I can move it. I'll give an update though.. as well as some "clean up" shots as well.
Unfortunately winter is here in eastern Montana.. and I do not have a garage

Reminds me in ways of my 68 New Yorker when I got it. I was naive, I thought $1,000 was a steal for a rare car. Looking back, I wouldn’t have bought it if I knew then what I did now. I’ve put WAY more money into the car than I could ever even get back from selling it. Granted, it’s been rewarding seeing it come apart, and slowly back together. But dang, I wish I would’ve just found a nice running C Body for under 10k and called it a day LOL. Lesson learned. Only car I’ll ever do this much work for!

IMG_2488.jpeg

Reminds me in ways of my 68 New Yorker when I got it. I was naive, I thought $1,000 was a steal for a rare car. Looking back, I wouldn’t have bought it if I knew then what I did now. I’ve put WAY more money into the car than I could ever even get back from selling it. Granted, it’s been rewarding seeing it come apart, and slowly back together. But dang, I wish I would’ve just found a nice running C Body for under 10k and called it a day LOL. Lesson learned. Only car I’ll ever do this much work for!

View attachment 625734
I disagree with your summary. You now know exactly what you have and you have learned a lot from getting the car to where it is.

View attachment 625734

Good point, I'll take your words to heart on the next one.
But I'm not very optimistic on the 10k price.

Back