It took me all weekend...

Arzak

Reaction score
...But the Brake Booster is finally out!

IMG_0991.jpg
IMG_0993.jpg
IMG_1005.jpg

45 years worth of rust and grime! Only took half a can of liquid wrench and $80 worth of new sockets and wrenches.
Now to pack it better than any package I've ever mailed before, to see Booster Dewey.

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

My congratulations! They were installed new with no dash in the car. Only a dedicated midget can make short work of a job like that.

Yea every tool box should have a pair of vice grips, Socket set and one Midget.

Made all the more humorous by my six foot five inch self being upside down on the floor and the passenger front seat just to get my meat hooks under the dash! I did think about removing the steering wheel for a few minutes, but I managed it ok. Only rounded off one nut on the master cylinder, but a punch tool and a hammer loosened that up. I already can feel my back tightening though from all the acrobatics. Cold beer never tasted so good!

You should have someone take a picture of that. What a great post that would be. I'm 5'8", and even then it sucks!

And now I'm even more confused.
I called the Booster Dewey phone number last week to confirm everything and the gentleman I spoke with on the phone said it would be a about a 4 day turn around once they received the unit. I called again today and it went straight to a voice mail message stating that they were taking an extended summer break and not taking new orders again until September 8th!!!

Anyone else have a brake booster rebuild company they trust?

Oh that sucks. Hope you can find a re-builder that will turn it around for you!

I have never used a rebuilder, but here is a link to somebody that is out there on Google.

http://www.pwrbrake.com/

If you are in a pinch, might be worth a call.

On replacing that booster, I just put one in my 2004 300M and it was a total PITA to get the old one out and the new one in.

Amen on the midget! Wish I could have hired one.

I was scrunged up under the dash...couldn't see a thing....back was killing me the whole time...yada yada yada.

By the book, it should have only taken two - three hours max, but it took me at least twice that.

I stopped in the middle, went to bed, got some sleep, got up the next day and finished it OK.

Next time (if there is one) will PAY somebody else to do it! :)

Good news everyone!

Booster Dewey called me back today after I left that voice mail on Monday. He will be taking the extended vacation until September, but Booster Steve will be there in the meantime working on their backlog and taking new in any new work.
He was nice enough to leave me the Steve phone number too, just in case anyone else would like to use them for your power brake booster needs.

Booster Steve Phone = 503-729-9435

One of these things is not like the other!

IMG_1014.jpg

So after the realization that I might not get my original brake booster rebuilt and back in the car until this fall, on a whim I ordered the re-manufactured unit for my car from AZ. It is a Car-done booster, and clearly not the same type as my original.

The bolt pattern and threads match in length and position to the original master cylinder and firewall locations, but man is this thing bigger in the middle.

I'm currently thinking about installing the car-done one, and having my original sent off to Booster Steve. That way if anything breaks or fails with the "new" one, I will have a superb back up unit ready to go!

Thoughts?

IMG_1014.jpg

One of these things is not like the other!

So after the realization that I might not get my original brake booster rebuilt and back in the car until this fall, on a whim I ordered the re-manufactured unit for my car from AZ. It is a Car-done booster, and clearly not the same type as my original.

The bolt pattern and threads match in length and position to the original master cylinder and firewall locations, but man is this thing bigger in the middle.

I'm currently thinking about installing the car-done one, and having my original sent off to Booster Steve. That way if anything breaks or fails with the "new" one, I will have a superb back up unit ready to go!

Thoughts?

I went through the same thing and ended up sending mine to Booster Dewey.

Alan

Alan,

Did you try to use the Cardone one at all? To me right now if it works, it works. Which I'll know for sure come this weekend when I plan to try installing it. I'm curious if anyone else has put one in for the '69-'71 C-bodies, and if they had any issues after that.

These guys are as friendly as they come! They're a small outfit and can only take on so much work. This is hands on type rebuilding, the old way, but the right way. Give The Ram Man a call or just check out his you tube stuff if you just gotta have it.

Alan,

Did you try to use the Cardone one at all? To me right now if it works, it works. Which I'll know for sure come this weekend when I plan to try installing it. I'm curious if anyone else has put one in for the '69-'71 C-bodies, and if they had any issues after that.

Nope, my car is a restoration and looks is important. I sent it back (RockAuto, I had to pay for shipping).

Alan

Back