Jack it up?

B-Rode

Reaction score
'70 Sport Fury

So I've got the big ol adjustable shackles on their highest setting and some hijacker (or whatever brand) shocks and when I pump it up to the stance I like (higher in the rear, not much fender over tire), I've lost all suspension travel hahahaha.
So my question is how do folks jack up the back of their C-bodies without them riding like a dump truck? I replaced the leaf springs recently and they were slightly more heavy duty if I remember correctly, but they didn't do much for the height and with the shackles (before hijacker shocks), they were basically flat.
Spare me the spiel about how they ride low from the factory, I don't really care.
I'm fine with how it sits now but I'm curious if there's an easy way to get a wee bit more height
Thanks!

please post a nice side pic of the car as well as a side view shot of one front tire.

It's good that you're also using air shocks rather than just the shackles! It's usually harder to get the rear of a Chrysler product raised with shackles only due to how the axle is mounted to the front section of the leaf spring, rather than more in the middle of the main leaf (as other brands usually are). Those longer shackles end up bending the rear section of the main leaf downward with not much raise, usually. Would probably end up with shackles that drug the ground in order to get the rear of the car raised significantly.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Sorry, I can't help it, ask the Thunderbolt & Lightfoot movie guys. This image is always coming back in my head like a bad penny.
:rofl:
Thunderbolt & Lightfoot fury.jpg

If your Avatar is the car you speak of I could see lowering the front a bit and leave the rear alone.

Last edited:
The long shackles are dangerous and reduce stability, and the air shocks pumped up will eventually damage the upper shock mount. Springs are designed to support weight ...... shocks absorb joust.
You want height...... buy a dump truck.

Your car probably has the original springs. Shackles, air shocks, and overload springs are just a band aid fix. Contact ESPO Springs and Things and replace those saggy old springs with a new pair. They have them available in 1 and 2" extra lift for most applications.

Your car probably has the original springs. Shackles, air shocks, and overload springs are just a band aid fix. Contact ESPO Springs and Things and replace those saggy old springs with a new pair. They have them available in 1 and 2" extra lift for most applications.
As I said in op, they are brand new leaf springs. The old ones were inverted but now theyre not.

I probably won't change much now because I'm happy with it (and sick of suspension work :| ) but I have seen jacked up C-bodies so I assumed it was possible. Car looks good and still rides pretty well, I just couldn't stand the saggy rear.

20210319_125304.jpg

20210313_160542.jpg

It is my opinion only but for my taste the front of your car [nice car by the way] looks too high. The rear height looks good to me. You could lower the front end till there is the rake you like.

20210313_160542-jpg.jpg

'70 Sport Fury

So I've got the big ol adjustable shackles on their highest setting and some hijacker (or whatever brand) shocks and when I pump it up to the stance I like (higher in the rear, not much fender over tire), I've lost all suspension travel hahahaha.
So my question is how do folks jack up the back of their C-bodies without them riding like a dump truck? I replaced the leaf springs recently and they were slightly more heavy duty if I remember correctly, but they didn't do much for the height and with the shackles (before hijacker shocks), they were basically flat.
Spare me the spiel about how they ride low from the factory, I don't really care.
I'm fine with how it sits now but I'm curious if there's an easy way to get a wee bit more height
Thanks!
You got new replacement springs from a reputable supplier and it is still flat? 5, 6, 7 leaf? Any over stock arch added?
Start be replacing the ridiculous adjustable shackles.

Now that the photo loaded, great observation.
I actually would've had the opportunity to get some work done on the torsion bars up front because they had to COME OUT to install headers, but the tech decided not to tell me he was doing that until it was all done.
Now I'm not sure how worth it that would be, that's stock height.

Torsion bar adjustment takes about 2 minutes to lower the front. It looks like they are cranked up. Start by backing off the adjusting bolt about 5 turns. Jounce it up and down then take a look. Hopefully the header guy didn’t jack them up just to clear the headers.

I actually would've had the opportunity to get some work done on the torsion bars up front because they had to COME OUT to install headers, but the tech decided not to tell me he was doing that until it was all done.
Now I'm not sure how worth it that would be, that's stock height.

These guys are correct. The front is too high by inches. The springs could have been had in a over stock height configuration. Many here opt for the 1" over stock height for a nice rake but not too much.
Lower them bars.

The long shackles are dangerous and reduce stability, and the air shocks pumped up will eventually damage the upper shock mount. Springs are designed to support weight ...... shocks absorb joust.
You want height...... buy a dump truck.

Didn't that black Fury roll over pretty easily in the movie?

Back