John Schneider on General Lee clones

Thanks for sharing!

I didn't know Dukes used 280 Chargers.

I know they crashed a lot of them!

They sacrificed one or two Chargers in Bullitt and left a 280 times deeper impression on me.

Thanks for sharing!

I didn't know Dukes used 280 Chargers.

I know they crashed a lot of them!

I like his channel. He seems like a pretty normal dude.

why, though, does he have separate brake pedals for front and rear brakes?

I like his channel. He seems like a pretty normal dude.

why, though, does he have separate brake pedals for front and rear brakes?
Stunt driving, it allows you to lock up just the rear wheels and still steer with the front.

I would guess separate pedals for the brakes would be for stunt driving. If you’re flying along, and lock up the rear brakes, you can bring the back of the car around quickly, punch the throttle, and take off in the opposite direction.
First time I saw this happen was in 1979. I was 18 and hanging out with a buddy of mine in a nearby town. There were a couple of nice looking girls he knew riding around in a Pinto Cruizin Wagon. She’d fly down a vacant side street at night, pull the hand brake fast while keeping the button held in, so she could release it quickly, bring the car around and floor it. The girls were underage, wanted us to buy beer and go riding around with them. We passed on that - nothing but trouble in our eyes, but they put on a good show!

They sacrificed one or two Chargers in Bullitt and left a 280 times deeper impression on me.
According to Schneider, sound effects for their car were taken from the Bullit movie. So, it sounded like they had a manual transmission. Question 2:

While the Bullitt Charger was actually an Auto trans car as well IIRC.

This guy's channel is actually more entertaining than the Shows, at least at my age now. :D

Last edited:
Bullitt Charger was a four speed, great shot of it at the beginning of the chase scene. Bill Hickman (who drove the Charger) said that the Charger would run away from the Mustang.

Bullitt Charger was a four speed, great shot of it at the beginning of the chase scene. Bill Hickman (who drove the Charger) said that the Charger would run away from the Mustang.

I have to watch this movie once again I think. In my recollection there is a Scene where the backup lights light up before driving away, just the way it is when you go from P to D. Maybe a four Speed for the chase Scenes and another one with A/T ?

I would guess separate pedals for the brakes would be for stunt driving. If you’re flying along, and lock up the rear brakes, you can bring the back of the car around quickly, punch the throttle, and take off in the opposite direction.
First time I saw this happen was in 1979. I was 18 and hanging out with a buddy of mine in a nearby town. There were a couple of nice looking girls he knew riding around in a Pinto Cruizin Wagon. She’d fly down a vacant side street at night, pull the hand brake fast while keeping the button held in, so she could release it quickly, bring the car around and floor it. The girls were underage, wanted us to buy beer and go riding around with them. We passed on that - nothing but trouble in our eyes, but they put on a good show!
We used to do that in my friends VW beetle and named the maneuver “doing a Kowalski”, until we finally rolled it over one complete time landing back on the wheels. That was the last Kowalski that I remember.

I have to watch this movie once again I think. In my recollection there is a Scene where the backup lights light up before driving away, just the way it is when you go from P to D. Maybe a four Speed for the chase Scenes and another one with A/T ?
Could be, I know they used two for the movie. Gives me an excuse to watch it again.

Interesting, I wonder where this car is now. I read somewhere that one of the Chargers was originally blue, the crash car does appear to have blue paint showing in the damaged panels.

The Show had a rather limited run over here in Germany and I guess the German dubbing didn't help either. But Daisy wasn't bad, I agree to that Point.

The Show had a rather limited run over here in Germany and I guess the German dubbing didn't help either. But Daisy wasn't bad, I agree to that Point.

I can’t imagine “southern” (particularly sayings) being translated to German. I try to watch my accent but I have had a few non natives ask me to repeat myself because they didn’t understand what I said.

I was in grade school when the show debuted. All of us boys loved the show, even though a lot of it was not realistic.

pull the hand brake fast while keeping the button held in, so she could release it quickly

I use to slit a length of fuel line and put it over the rod of the parking brake release before heading out on the highway so I could engage the rear brakes to scrub off speed without lighting up the brake lights. Saved my azz many a times when you see the law appearing in your rear view mirror at triple digits. It slows you down just enough so that he has to adjust to get a pace, and without your brake lights lighting he has questions which usually leads to a stern warning when the stop is over. This was all way before radar though.

You can clearly see the Inland shifter handle when the camera is pointed up to Bill's face when he is manuvering the car around the city streets when they lose Steve McQueen before he reappears in the mirror.

Back