For Sale Just $.51 cents a day could save this New Yorker's life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
...over the next 16 years. But I'll bet $2500 would get it done in a minute.

1979 Chrysler New Yorker Fith Avenue

00p0p_8L1SYL42FHc_600x450.jpg

00404_k5F81sOndsS_600x450.jpg

I have seen this car in person, it really is a clean car. I would have already bought it if I didn't have a literal have dozen projects right now. It sits outside a sleazy pawn shop I drive by all the time.

Won't you help?

Someone loved that car for a long time.

Someone loved that car for a long time.

Yes, I think that license plate frame you can see in the interior even says something like "1979 New Yorker", so this was somebody's baby. I would gladly negotiate and handle the purchase if somebody here wanted it. Looks like the nylon wiper bushings crapped out, so that's where I'd start lowering the price. But with a weekedn worth of detailing, you'd have a pretty cool ride. (I love the colors on these.)

Makes me sad to see it sitting on that lot with a bunch of other cars destined to wear clown shoes.

IMG_20170309_154711.jpg

Not quite my style, but if it was black, I'd be all over it for that price!

Those are the types of cars i got for my kids while they were in high school and college. Cheap, safe ,solid ,easy for me to fix.

That looks like a pretty reasonable buy in for someone wanting to get into the hobby.

It's just a glorified B-body so a stroker big block is a slam dunk. Instant sleeper.

Kevin.

That looks like a pretty reasonable buy in for someone wanting to get into the hobby.

It's just a glorified B-body so a stroker big block is a slam dunk. Instant sleeper.

Kevin.
Hell even a stroker small block so it can get out of its own way

Want it...can't have it for all the practical reasons of $$$ and space.

Yes its soo tempting! I had one for nine years and yes the 79 80 81 5TH Avenue is something special!! Also had an 80 in chestnut brown for a short time, should have kept that one!!

I had a 79 that we brought to Carlisle in 2012. It wasn't a 5th Ave so it had the cloth interior.

Just as an FYI, those cars are cursed with the same exploding wiper arm bushing that the 78 NYB's have.

Kevin

79.jpg

OK, since I had a couple people PM me on this one I did a little recon work. $2700 will get it done, I think he has the same offer but no cash behind it, so the first to show will get it.

This car is as clean underneath as up top. I believe the 52k is real. Headliner must have been re-done because it's good. Front seats are redone, but the only tell is because they are perfect and still smell of leather, a very high quality job. Evidence of life in Florida. Excellend vinyl top. Has the late-model-year door panels (an improvement) and some obscure-*** trivia.

Now for the "bad". There have been a few touch ups done, but I'd wager they were more along the line of maintaining the car... there are some thin edges, chips, etc. For most people, they'd never know but I can spot them so I must mention them. There is a small spot in the trunk jamb where I bet a small paint nick turned into rust after leaves gathered. It could be addressed with a wire wheel and a beige spray bomb. The plastic-chrome in the interior is evaporating, i'd spray it silver and be done with it. The exterior door window-wipers are pretty shot from UV, a common R/J problem; there might be a fix, just like the obvious winshield wiper problem. The front bumper has two small holes from previous fog lights (I guess) or a seriously overdone deer whistle install. Some light pitting on trim.

Personally if I didn't have too many projects as it is, i'd buy this car in a heartbeat and spend a few weekends fixing problems while I drove it to shows for a season. Then I'd document it and eBay it hoping for $5-6k.

Here are the pics I took this afternoon. If somebody is serious, i'd help you get it. If I had to lose money on a project, i'd have a blast swapping on all the best B-body parts, bronze tint the windows, and add a gen III Hemi drivetrain.

IMG_20170311_132619.jpg

IMG_20170311_132611.jpg

IMG_20170311_132555.jpg

IMG_20170311_132530.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot to add stupid bodyside rivet-on molding, but not an impossible fix on the doors and tolerable until it needs a full repaint.

IMG_20170311_132508.jpg

IMG_20170311_132500.jpg

IMG_20170311_132432.jpg

IMG_20170311_132422.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back