Just bought a 69 Sport Fury Convertible

Brakeman95

Reaction score
I just bought a one owner 69 Sport Fury convertible. Question is what is the original carburetor manufacture for the 383 High performance engine.

Just drained the bad as from the tank and tweeked the timing and it started and warmed up great.

The car seems to have many options for the year it is. The order sheet states that it was a company car from Chrysler so I was wondering if that had something to do with all the options or at least what was a common option group that buyers picked.

I see very little about these cars and I figured the production numbers are relatively low.

Thanks

BM95

Just curious...
Did you buy that blue one that was sitting at that estate sale in Royal Oak? If so, I missed you by 20 minutes, and I too am local to the area.

Great Buy , can we see pictures of the car , fender tag and build sheet? The 69 fury convertible is one of my favourite cars.

@Brakeman95 btw good score on that rare ' vert.
She deserves to be done right.
Keep us posted on your endeavour, abd no such thing as a stupid question.
Just to get her mobile, an Edelbrock 1406 Carb will bolt right on..get the Mopar throttle linkage asaptor. .
Hope this helps.

You need to understand the term "High Performance" as it relates to C-body cars and not B-body cars.

For example, on my '70 Monaco Brougham 383 4bbl w/factory air and a Carter AVS 4732 carb, it is engine code "N". Same code as the 335hp B/E-body cars, but is rated at 330horsepower. Has the crinkle-black dual snorkel air cleaner and the hi-rise HP exhaust manifolds, but has the 256/260 "standard cam" and was painted blue from the factory. By comparison, the "N" code in an E-body normal Challenger (not R/T) was the same, with the R/T getting the 268/284 HP cam in it. So if you read the FSM and it notes the 256/260 cam for your car, it is accurate.

When I bought the car used, at 83K miles, it was unmolested. I saw the dual snorkel air cleaner and the high-rise HP exhaust manifolds, plus the factory dual exhausts and figured I had hit the jackpot with a 383/335 V-8. When I got the FSM for it, I noted the standard cam, which I felt was something of a mis-print. About three years ago, when I found the A.M.A. Specs for 1970 Challengers, THEN I noticed the difference between a normal Challenger with a 383 4bb option and the Challenger R/T (with the standard 383 4bbl HP engine) had different camshafts and power ratings. The normal Challenger was the 383/330 and the R/T was the 383/335 . . . ALL with the same VIN Code "N".

Just my thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

Original Carb for a 1969 Sport Fury 383 HP is a Carter AVS 4682SA
IMG_2722.jpeg
IMG_2718.jpeg
IMG_5646.jpeg
IMG_5648.jpeg
IMG_5649.jpeg

Cool Thanks for the pics .... This car now has a Holley 4160 but odd enough the numbers on the choke housing referenced a Plymouth or so I thought, I'll need to do more looking after I get it sorted out and insured .... And also RockAuto had both carb kits so I obviously ordered the Holley kit... But if given the choice I'd go original equipment since the car has not been hacked to much.

I'm not really a purist but the dealer invoice and the options sheet came with the car when I bought it, On that sheet it has a line (Y#) that states it was a ("Company car") Chrysler owned / ordered. the original owner who took delivery in the fall of 69 did work at Chrysler and the car had ~5k(?) miles on it when he took delivery. He also kept a log of all maintenance done over the years and even fuel fill ups along with where he went on trips with it. He had weight sheets why I have no idea but it weighs over 4600 pounds. this car barely got 8 miles to the gallon. (I'll have to check on that)

69 C body 383-4bbl with A/C is engine assembly 903 with CARB 38 = 4160 Holley

There is no such thing as ANY 1969 383-4bbl with a/c being an HP assembly. They will all be 330 horse whether they are in a B or C body.

Only A, B and E bodies got the 68-70 383-4 335 horse HP assemblies. C bodies got either 2 or 4bbl (330 horse) assembly.

C_Body_383_800.jpg

I'm not really a purist but the dealer invoice and the options sheet came with the car when I bought it, On that sheet it has a line (Y#) that states it was a ("Company car") Chrysler owned / ordered. the original owner who took delivery in the fall of 69 did work at Chrysler and the car had ~5k(?) miles on it when he took delivery. He also kept a log of all maintenance done over the years and even fuel fill ups along with where he went on trips with it. He had weight sheets why I have no idea but it weighs over 4600 pounds. this car barely got 8 miles to the gallon. (I'll have to check on that)

The original owner would have been Chrysler Corp. (What does the title say? It may say who your guy bought the car from)

Given the references on the invoice, it was likely used as a car used for internal (Chrysler) advertising/promotion somehow. Your buyer bought it from Chrysler after it was about 6 months old.

Back