Just installed my new rims and tires

Wheels do make a difference

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I know this look might not be everyone's taste but I'm really happy on how this looks. I'm running 18x8 in the front and 20x9.5 in the rear.

View attachment 121435

IMO a big car like that needs more rubber showing (sidewall) and a rim that's a bit more stout looking. Each to his own I guess. Hope your not insulted, you asked, I answered.

New tires are great but they do have a shelf life. Usually 6-7 years and they become a liability weather used or not.
After many years and many restorations I've gained the patience to follow through with procedure priority's on a project.
Plan your project, collect your parts, complete needed services such as chrome, polishing and interior. Do Mechanical, body & paint ....... Assemble. Wheels & tires are icing on the cake and a great way to finalize a project.
After 3/4 years you'll have a used set of wheels and tires on a fresh restoration....... Go figure.

Of course, what do I know...... I'm just an ole guy with a hat..... LOL.

This thread is a good example of the new blood coming into the C body camp. I'm glad to see y'all showing interest but some understanding and a little respect for what these cars represent in automotive history should be considered.
True supercars have gone out of the range of affordability and the lower cost of the C bodys make them very attractive to the younger guys who really don't understand the era they represent.
Reasonable modifications are fine. But changing a Monaco into a Coronet R/T wannabe, and current trend aftermarket parts don't work.
:thankyou:

I was around when aftermarket wheels came to the market, (just after dirt was discovered), and have noted a attitude toward them from the beginning.
A lot, (most), of people will purchase a set of wheels/tires based on the look of the wheel/tire with little concideration about how they will contribute to the balance of the car they will be mounted on. They should NOT be the focal point of the car. (unless it's a POS).
There are more car choices then wheel/tire combos and what works on one car may not come off right on another. If you MUST use aftermarket wheels/tires, be mindful of the total balance.
I have yet to see a well balanced look of low profile tires and 18" + wheels on a C body.

Last edited:
New tires are great but they do have a shelf life. Usually 6-7 years and they become a liability weather used or not.

I had to replace the tires on the wagon last year, probably only about 10K miles on them or so, still had at least 80% tread left, but the rubber was getting harder every year. They were 8-9 years old and when I had the wagon out in the wet and touched the rakes it would just slide....no traction with those old hockey pucks.

I'm not a huge fan of the bigger rims and low profile tires, but can appreciate when a set-up just "works" or looks "right".

Saw your post on FB and most comments were positive. I can appreciate what you are doing with the wheel upgrade but I'm too much of a purist which is funny because one of the first things I do on the lot with a new car is change out the factory wheels for some customs. Then again FCA doesn't make a car as cool as a C body anymore ....so any thing helps ...

Most on Facebook are P C types and will give kind words because they think they are being considerate .

Since the OP asked, I personally think they look horrible. The wheels are too big and the tires are too thin... but as long as you're happy when you open the garage door then that's it

image.jpeg
I am happy with 17s on mine. I don't think they look too big. I certainly wouldn't go bigger but the original 15s looked like it was running on a couple of donuts!
But I do respect everyone's cars and choices. At least our main cars are not plastic econoboxes.

View attachment 124267 I am happy with 17s on mine. I don't think they look too big. I certainly wouldn't go bigger but the original 15s looked like it was running on a couple of donuts!
But I do respect everyone's cars and choices. At least our main cars are not plastic econoboxes.

I love your car! One of my favorite colors, and the wheels look great.

Thank you. It now has a tan vinyl top. Just waiting for the new glass to go in. Then change my profile pic

I know this look might not be everyone's taste but I'm really happy on how this looks. I'm running 18x8 in the front and 20x9.5 in the rear.

View attachment 121435
I think what matters most is how much you like your wheels. Everyone else is going to have different opinions which is good. Myself, not some thing I would pick. But, its your ride and you will be the one driving it, and if you like those wheels it will make the ride that much better.

Back