Just picked up a 68 300...

Biggest issue is there is no registration or title, and BC really has no agency available to get a new one, other then a new modern assigned VIN and a salvage type title or designation.

There is a way to replace a lost registration in BC, it's a bit involved but nothing too complicated or expensive. First thing you need is a completed bill of sale from the seller with the VIN and with that you can contact ICBC to search the system for the name of the last registered owner and try and get hold of them. If you can't get hold of them, you send a registered letter to their address and if it comes back unclaimed then you can apply for a new registration using the same VIN. I seem to recall that something needed to be notarized, might have been the bill or sale but it was a long time ago and can't remember exactly.

If you can find an experience counterperson at a local ICBC insurance office they can guide you through it or there's a number you can call at their head office which deals with that.

Another alternative is to get it roadworthy and register it in Alberta with a bill of sale then transfer it to BC. First method is probably simpler, though.

Last edited:
I know it's a decent candidate to get back on the road, but to be honest that is not why I bought it.

I have always wanted to do the 300 front sheet metal conversion to the wagon, and before we moved north I had most of the stuff to do it but tossed them in a dumpster because i had to clean house for the move and couldn't bring them with me, and no one wanted to even take them when i offered them for Free!

The 68 440/auto is a big bonus for me too since when I bought my wagon the original motor and tranny were pulled and stuffed into a Duster race car. I had a 71 300 4dr parts car at the time and that donated it's piece to get the wagon back on the road. I would love to get the correct 68 era motor and tranny back in the car one day.

The rest of the car, parts and piece, nice clean sheet metal, frame rails etc I will gladly pull apart and sell to those who might need them.:thumbsup:

After pressure washing the motor last week I figured it was time to check it out and see if the old 440 was locked up or not.

Gn67Blwh.jpg

I pulled the valve covers to make sure no critters over the years had made nests, or used the valve train as a storage facility....

2rUieolh.jpg

ORT13kFh.jpg

Nice and clean with only a couple valve stem seal pieces to be found.

Popped out the dizzy to check inside the motor...again everything looked really clean, no sludge build up or gunk anywhere. So I pulled the plugs...all old Champion plugs. Then used a small hose and poured diesel into each cylinder and let that sit 24 hours. Just an hour ago was the big moment, would the motor be locked up, kind of rough to roll over, or spin nice and easy? Hooked up my grandfather old craftsman 3/4" drive ratchet and extension and a 1 1/4 socket and gave it a yank...spun super clean and easy!! :thumbsup:

Only moved it maybe 45* on the crank, I want to change the oil and filter then prime the motor before continuing to roll it over. Then it will be swap in a spare rad and hoses, hook up the water pump pulley and fan, spare carb and dizzy and then some fuel line from a gas can to the fuel pump and see if I can get the old beast to fire!

That’s excellent news!:thumbsup:
Use the ‘71 trans or at least the valve body from the ‘71 in your ‘68 trans. It has the part throttle kickdown which comes in handy on these big heavy cars.

Back